Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. exi
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I had unlimited everything on Sprint, N&W starting at 7pm, and ported out to try an iPhone 4. The phone is awesome -- superior to the Pre, by far (imo), as well as just about any other phone I've tried -- but I can't quite justify paying ~$15/mo more for limited data, AT&T-only unlimited mobile, and what have you.

Just curious if any iPhone users think it's worth it. I can still port back without an ETF from either carrier.

I'm skeptical of just how improved the Pre 2 will be, but... what say you guys?
    ::looking around this PRE forum wondering where the iphone users are:: oh that's right....
    I am a mostly satisfied Pre user since Sprint launch day. But I recently bought a used iPhone 3GS to use like an iPod Touch, just because I need to use an app that will never be ported to webOS and needs an autofocus camera. I enjoy using webOS and find that the notifications and multitasking UI are superior to iOS. However, the performance and touch-responsiveness of the iPhone are winning me over. And the iPhone 4 is very seductive. I am getting tired of carrying both the Pre and the 3GS all the time and I'm afraid I'm getting closer to the idea of switching to AT$T (or maybe Verizon if they start carrying the iPhone). But I won't make that decision until next January after CES.
  4. exi
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    ::looking around this PRE forum wondering where the iphone users are:: oh that's right....
    "Cross-Platform Chat." Bound to be past/present iPhone users around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I enjoy using webOS and find that the notifications and multitasking UI are superior to iOS. However, the performance and touch-responsiveness of the iPhone are winning me over. And the iPhone 4 is very seductive.
    That's pretty much been my issue also. Figured I'd switch over and give it a shot since I have some time to choose one side or the other without paying more than prorated monthly charges and maybe a restocking fee, and here I am loving the phone but wanting my cheaper plan back.
    im considering getting the iphone4 as my next phone and then jail break it and install proswitcher. proswitcher kind of acts like webos card interface but without the gestures.

very tempting considering nothing really new coming out from palm/hp
    Quote Originally Posted by exi View Post
    I had unlimited everything on Sprint, N&W starting at 7pm, and ported out to try an iPhone 4. The phone is awesome -- superior to the Pre, by far (imo), as well as just about any other phone I've tried -- but I can't quite justify paying ~$15/mo more for limited data, AT&T-only unlimited mobile, and what have you.

Just curious if any iPhone users think it's worth it. I can still port back without an ETF from either carrier.

I'm skeptical of just how improved the Pre 2 will be, but... what say you guys?
    Most of the following are my opinions..not facts. So don't get bent out of shape anyone.

It's a bit more expensive than Sprint. Can't argue with that. Rollover & A-list vs Anymobile anytime? Sprint wins again there imo.

What you have to consider is the experience is better (coverage being equal and all). Your Pre will seem very slow if you go back to it after a month or so. The screen will seem smaller and blurry.

You get thousands of apps to choose from. Well made ones (netflix, kindle, air video, etc), not crap. If you get someone with you on a family plan, you can even share the paid apps for free.

Build issues are less. Value of iphone remains high to resell. You pretty much know when to expect the next version or update.

Jailbreak allows phone to be much better. MyWi is much more reliable than mytether ever was for me. My3G allows apps to be used as if over wifi. BiteSMS is much better than the built in SMS app.

Speed is faster on iphone. Not just processor but 3G. At least for me, hsupa means 1.2mbps upload most of time and usually 1-2mbps down.

You'll have to weigh what's important to you. It was hard switching from Sprint and its value but i'm happier in all. And i hate to say it, but Palm pretty much screwed its customers over on sprint. Who knows, maybe it was sprint (not likely), but regardless..a screwing it was. Not seeing the Plus version after seeing it on every other carrier rubbed me the wrong way. Not seeing the Pre 2 rumored for sprint should ice it for most still left.
    iphone(great phone, solid os) is not worth it with current plans imo. I'd pick the pre plus on verizon with free hotspot tethering or a Epic on Sprint with 4g and swype.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    My opinion of AT&T: I don't care if AT&T had exclusivity deals on every single phone except one. I'd use that one phone on Sprint. If you don't miss the keyboard (obviously you don't, since we're talking about the iPhone) then try the EVO on Sprint. Super-fast superphone on the best network. You'll be able to have your cake and eat it too.
    This is an easy question to answer, but difficult to prove. Since its inception, iPhone users have used many times more data on their phones than other phone users. The simple reason is that the iPhone is easy to use, has a beautiful screen, and compelling data consuming apps.

If you have another smartphone, you might think you have access to all the same experiences. It just doesn't work out that way in reality. There have been many apps like Sling, that AT&T would not allow the iPhone to use on 3G, eventhough they allowed it on other phones on their network. The reason is that iPhone users would actually use it.

I have unlimited data on my phone and wouldn't want to be without it. The first time you find yourself in a DMV office with your phone as your only device, you will be glad you have Netflix or Hulu+ along with a beefy data plan.
    Waste of money. Epic + bigger screen + media hub + loading whatever movies or shows you want in any format whatsoever to play in rock player without having to "sync" = goodness.

I fully expect HP to offer something similar at CES.
  11. exi
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Waste of money. Epic + bigger screen + media hub + loading whatever movies or shows you want in any format whatsoever to play in rock player without having to "sync" = goodness.

I fully expect HP to offer something similar at CES.
    I thought about that, but my thing is that I'm not a big fan of the Epic formfactor.
    I recently went over to AT&T with my wife, as she gets a pretty nice corporate discount. Here's the problem with Sprint right now... I wanted to open up a family plan, as I'm recently married. The phones that are really goon on Sprint require that pesky $10 premium data charge. One, I can handle. Two makes the plans a wash as far as cost.

Sprints plans are the best,but that damn extra charge kills any savings
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    With that extra 10 bucks it's close to 90 a month on Sprint without discount, you can get a iphone for 90 a month on ATT, of course less minutes and data but if you're happy with that you can get it.

I think Sprint really messed up with that 10 dollar fee and att did well with those new data plans.
    Guys, EPRP negates the $10 fee and gets you a few more minutes, and anyone can get on it with a little Google-**. Heck I think I can recall the credentials from memory: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com, employee number 383.
  15. exi
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Guys, EPRP negates the $10 fee and gets you a few more minutes, and anyone can get on it with a little Google-**. Heck I think I can recall the credentials from memory: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com, employee number 383.
    Thing is, I have an established plan with them and am still technically under contract for a year. What Google ninja-ery would make me able to switch? Was under the impression that it can't be done.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    are you serous? I have the seroplan now called everythng plus 500, you mean I don't pay the 10 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Guys, EPRP negates the $10 fee and gets you a few more minutes, and anyone can get on it with a little Google-**. Heck I think I can recall the credentials from memory: , employee number 383.
    The 25% discount i had trumped EPRP when i was on sprint. But at&t has discounts has well. As does verizon. Discounts aren't unique to sprint.
  18. exi
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The 25% discount i had trumped EPRP when i was on sprint. But at&t has discounts has well. As does verizon. Discounts aren't unique to sprint.
    I had a 15% with Sprint (and have with AT&T). Does EPRP beat that also -- or is it even possible for an existing customer to switch now? Was always told since the days of SERO that it couldn't be done.
    I was responding to this:

Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    With that extra 10 bucks it's close to 90 a month on Sprint without discount, you can get a iphone for 90 a month on ATT, of course less minutes and data but if you're happy with that you can get it.

I think Sprint really messed up with that 10 dollar fee and att did well with those new data plans.
    If you can't get discounts and the 10 bucks is a dealbreaker for you, EPRP gives you $10 off. And no, that's not better than 15%. EPRP is not better than most discounts, but it's better than no discounts.
    Well, first thing is check to see if you qualify for a discount, you can even use your college ID or e-mail address of the college you attend (or attended). Check at this site:

https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...k123B0800dfis5

Second, see if the plan you have is what you need or if your trying to match what sprint offers you. If you try to match up minute per minute and byte for byte, at&t's plan will always be more expensive, try to match up price and see if you can get away with what at&t offers you. For example I pay maybe $5 more dollars a month on at&t (before discount) than I would on sprint (39.99+30.00+5=74.99 on at&t, sprint-69.99). I get less minutes and texts, but I don't even use the minutes i get (2,000 rollover) and only use like 100 or so texts, so even though I would get alot more with sprint, I wouldnt be using those exra minutes and texts anyway, so price is a wash for me.

3. Check mac rumors, there is some sort of trick to get the unlimited data plan, but I think you have to get a hold of an original 2G iphone or a dumbphone. Check this thread:

EASY method - New data plans to Unlimited - Mac Forums

after you checked all those, the real question is is it worth it to you. You didn't mention network quality so I assume its a wash for you, so just ask your self if the iphone is worth however much more your spending per month with at&t over sprint. if it is then be happy with your new phone, if not take it back and start looking around sprint, maybe wait for the new webos phones that will be coming out. In the end only you can really answer that.

I used to be with sprint way back when the samsung blade was brand new, (sweet phone, horrible battery...I'm sensing a pattern here) and I had the OG $30 SERO plan, but gave it up to get the samsung blackjack on cingular and to have sweet GSM goodness, also because my plan was only $30 sprint told me I would never be eligible for any upgrade discounts, so for me having that new phone, being on a gsm network, and being eligible for discounted handsets was worth it to me at the time to switch.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast