Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm curious to see how WP7 phones won't be a massive fail.

Here are the major issues so far with WP7:

1) No side-loading of apps
    2) No swapping of external microSD cards without wiping the phone and starting from scratch
    3) No multi-tasking
    4) no copy / paste

I keep seeing people professing love for WP7 despite these massive disadvantages.

I think competition is a great thing for the marketplace, the more great phones the better.

But WP7 is far worse than iPhone out of the gate, crippled beyond repair compared to Android. And to WebOS - do we even need to say anything?

WP7 looks like a huge piece of turd. Looks to be a WIN just like the KIN.

How did the Windows mobile team not get massive layoffs already?
    wow, that shows some really bad engineering.
    Aren't all those things "update-able?"

Hence, the ability in the future to say "FREE UPDATE!" and get back to the top of the tech buzz, at least for a few days?

I'm not a Windows guy (at all), but a little quick on the dire prediction, don't you think?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post

Hence, the ability in the future to say "FREE UPDATE!" and get back to the top of the tech buzz, at least for a few days?

I'm not a Windows guy (at all), but a little quick on the dire prediction, don't you think?
    Hey we have to use the info that we got so far until new info comes out. And no it doesn't look to be update-able, at least no the first 2 things.

So based on all the info so far, it looks to be a huge turd...

So back on topic, based on the info so far, why would it be competitive at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by previous2pre View Post
    Hey we have to use the info that we got so far until new info comes out.

So based on all the info so far, it looks to be a huge turd...

So back on topic, based on the info so far, why would it be competitive at all?
    Because Microsoft has the ability to throw wads of cash at marketing the hell out of this. Plus, as much as people want to bash the iFollowers, there are lots of Windows drones who will do the same - buy it because they "think" it'll be the same as Windows 7 on their desktop.

Throw in the obvious business solutions for exchange, outlook email, web browsing, etc. and it's WAY TOO early to call it a turd.
    2) No swapping of external microSD cards without wiping the phone and starting from scratch
    3) No multi-tasking
    4) no copy / paste
    Laugh out loud at your definition of massive fail. It may not be the best mobile platform when it is released, but it still has some really cool/innovative features. Just because you don't like it as much as webos, doesn't mean its bad.

I have to say though, it is by far the most original ui i've seen in the mobile space.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Laugh out loud at your definition of massive fail. It may not be the best mobile platform when it is released, but it still has some really cool/innovative features. Just because you don't like it as much as webos, doesn't mean its bad.

I have to say though, it is by far the most original ui i've seen in the mobile space.
    Agree, it's very innovative to make removable storage non-removable.

Also to restrict side-loading of apps when Win Mobile 6.5 freely allowed, as does the biggest competitor that is surging right now - Android. Very innovative.

The most innovative of all - the uneven colored bricks in the UI also looks very cool. I much prefer the 3rd grade coloring book job of the UI compared to the ugly looking webOS look...
    I'm curious to see how WP7 phones won't be a massive fail.

Here are the major issues so far with WP7:

-Side loading is not a thing the vast majority does.
    -One of the specs of Windows Phone 7 was no external memory. Samsung with one phone (stop applying it to many) has come up with the idea of people going into stores, buying the phone, saying they want a 32gig phone, and the people at the store put the 32gig SD card in (plus the 8 internal) and the user never has to worry about it again. Again, the masses don't change their memory. WIndows Phone 7 sees all memory as one and because of this system it needs to wipe so the data can combine. Don't like it? Buy a large card off the gate.
    3) No multi-tasking
    -Thats not completely true. Microsoft has gone on record saying if a developer needed a multi-tasking service they can grant on case by case basis. So for instance, a music streaming service can multi-task. Furthermore, its been proven most people don't care about multi-tasking but instead the actually use of their phone. If its important, sure they won't look at it, but a lot of people don't need it and won't miss it.
    4) no copy / paste
    -Being added early next year. They also have press and hold contexts for normal copy and paste based stuff. So like hold a phone number to be able to see a menu with a list of obvious things to do with it. Really, the thing its missing is copy and pasting text in the browser and Email.... which again, will be in early next year.
    I keep seeing people professing love for WP7 despite these massive disadvantages.

I think competition is a great thing for the marketplace, the more great phones the better.

But WP7 is far worse than iPhone out of the gate, crippled beyond repair compared to Android. And to WebOS - do we even need to say anything?

WP7 looks like a huge piece of turd. Looks to be a WIN just like the KIN.

How did the Windows mobile team not get massive layoffs already?
    answers in bold above

I wasn't aware WebOS, Anrdroid or the iPhone launched perfect out the gate either.

For all things considered Windows Phone 7 seems to have the most **** together for generation 1.
    Because Microsoft has the ability to throw wads of cash at marketing the hell out of this.
    One word: KIN

marketing $ didn't help
    Kin was a failed project that cost Steve Ballmer some of his bonus. He even admitted, he thought the project would just distract from the higher end (windows phone 7). I'll assume they invested enough money in the project where they thought they had to go through with it, but decided its not worth it to try to market these two devices. THey tried to make a sidekick 2 basically when that market has moved on to normal smart phones already
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    answers in bold above

I wasn't aware WebOS, Anrdroid or the iPhone launched perfect out the gate either.

For all things considered Windows Phone 7 seems to have the most **** together for generation 1.
    I'll respond to the removable storage first, save the others for later (lots of debate but I'll focus on only one right now):

With the WP7 you get the worst of both worlds - a limited storage that can't be upgraded to a larger size without a lot of hassles. And a potentially catastrophic situation of SD card failure that renders the phone unusable. SD cards are much more likely to die an early death when being used constantly for OS purposes.

I also have multiple Android phones - Evo / Epic / Moment, so I swap media/data between the phones often. So it is very useful in this case as well.

Also I sometimes have to load files quickly onto the SD card with my SD card reader. It's nice to pop the cover off of my Epic, remove the SD card, place some files on it, or copy some files off of it, without having to shut off the Epic to do so. Hot swapping is pretty nice. With WP7 you will have to turn off the phone to do this, risking missing important calls / emails / alerts while the phone is inoperable while you get data on / off the SD card.

As you can see there are many use cases for removable media. Not the least of which is because microSD cards are universally used in other gadgets as well - my Sansa e280 MP3 player uses microSD cards, I use the microSD card in a pinch in an adapter for my digital camera if I run out of room on my Canon digital camera, my dedicated Garmin GPS uses microSD cards also... It is handy to be able to swap / hot swap when needed.

So you can see it's not just a case of hating because of hate. I am an avid Microsoft app user on the PC, but I am astounded at the stupidity of making removable media non-removable.
    I'll respond to the removable storage first, save the others for later (lots of debate but I'll focus on only one right now):

With the WP7 you get the worst of both worlds - a limited storage that can't be upgraded to a larger size without a lot of hassles. And a potentially catastrophic situation of SD card failure that renders the phone unusable. SD cards are much more likely to die an early death when being used constantly for OS purposes.

I also have multiple Android phones - Evo / Epic / Moment, so I swap media/data between the phones often. So it is very useful in this case as well.

Also I sometimes have to load files quickly onto the SD card with my SD card reader. It's nice to pop the cover off of my Epic, remove the SD card, place some files on it, or copy some files off of it, without having to shut off the Epic to do so. Hot swapping is pretty nice. With WP7 you will have to turn off the phone to do this, risking missing important calls / emails / alerts while the phone is inoperable while you get data on / off the SD card.

As you can see there are many use cases for removable media. Not the least of which is because microSD cards are universally used in other gadgets as well - my Sansa e280 MP3 player uses microSD cards, I use the microSD card in a pinch in an adapter for my digital camera if I run out of room on my Canon digital camera, my dedicated Garmin GPS uses microSD cards also... It is handy to be able to swap / hot swap when needed.

So you can see it's not just a case of hating because of hate. I am an avid Microsoft app user on the PC, but I am astounded at the stupidity of making removable media non-removable.
    Blame Samsung then and not Microsoft.

Their original spec was no removable storage. We'll see how it pans out, but trying to apply the worst case scenario when their isn't even a phone on the market yet just seems silly to me.

And ok, YOU use removable media. A LOT of people don't. Anytime you want to know what the masses enjoy, please see the iPhone.
  13.    #13  
    Blame Samsung then and not Microsoft.

Their original spec was no removable storage. We'll see how it pans out, but trying to apply the worst case scenario when their isn't even a phone on the market yet just seems silly to me.

And ok, YOU use removable media. A LOT of people don't. Anytime you want to know what the masses enjoy, please see the iPhone.
    I do use the iPhone - still have it. I have over 6GB of apps, tons of media / data.

I am running out of space on my iPhone. Hence why I use Android now.
    I was going to get a Zune HD (old 30GB Zune of mine died). But after looking at WP7 I want to wait for the rumored Zun HD2 which should have WP7 just without the phone part. I say should because MS would be shooting themselves in the foot for not emulating the iTouch/iPhone model. I don't seen WP7 as a fail. If I was still strong into my 360 and XBox Live, I'd be seriouly looking into this phone. Since I'm not and still using my Pre, I'd be happy to buy the rumored HD2 with a version of WP7.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I'm not a fan, but these phones will sell. They will sell well. Windows Mobile was a huge turd. These aren't.

People like widgets, these phones has that by the boatload.

People, will assume that it will be the best platform to sync/work with your Windows desktop, MS Office, MS Messenger, MS Hotmail, etc. etc. And it will do that very well, and that alone will be reason enough for corporations to provide these to their employees. Fortune 500 type companies (MS was the only real competition to RIM).

Integration with Zune and Xbox Live. This alone will sell the phone to a certain market, a big market. Plus, if you can develop for the Xbox, you can develop for WP7. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/14/2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    3) No multi-tasking
    -Thats not completely true. Microsoft has gone on record saying if a developer needed a multi-tasking service they can grant on case by case basis. So for instance, a music streaming service can multi-task. Furthermore, its been proven most people don't care about multi-tasking but instead the actually use of their phone. If its important, sure they won't look at it, but a lot of people don't need it and won't miss it.

FYI, multi-tasking should be part of the OS, and not something each app has to build or get "permission" for...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    FYI, multi-tasking should be part of the OS, and not something each app has to build or get "permission" for...
    More of an IMO than an FYI...
    Although I don't disagree

It's upgradeable and its suppose get copy and paste first half of 2011.
    Just gobs of irony in this thread. Buckets, really....
    Agree, it's very innovative to make removable storage non-removable.

Also to restrict side-loading of apps when Win Mobile 6.5 freely allowed, as does the biggest competitor that is surging right now - Android. Very innovative.

The most innovative of all - the uneven colored bricks in the UI also looks very cool. I much prefer the 3rd grade coloring book job of the UI compared to the ugly looking webOS look...
    1) Non removable storeage-
    take my freedom, but not my SD card!!! Seriously, get with it, no one besides you cares.

See:iPhone

2) Side-Loading apps-
    Again, no one cares...really

Out of every droid owner I know, not one of them would have a clue what "side loading" means. Irrelevant feature is irrelevant.

See: everyone

3) Uneven colored bricks?

This is just a matter of taste, something which I happen to have a lot of!

I happen to find the ui to be quite good...

Way better than androids at the least. Google successfully created the mobile version of windows OS

See: clunky and unintuitive
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast