Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #21  
    Yeah, all the fury about side-loading and sd cards is nerd fury, the actual general public don't care.
  2. #22  
    The OP sounds like every geek who is scratching their head, still trying to figure out why the iPhone is not a fail. Look at all the stuff it doesn't have. No Flash, removable battery, SD card, side-loading, etc. The list goes on and on. Yet, no single smartphone has ever been so popular with the masses.

    I'm just going to go out on a limb and say to the OP, you are never going to figure out why WP7 is not a fail. Android rulz!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    More of an IMO than an FYI...
    Although I don't disagree
    Actually that is an FYI since it is part of the definition of computer device multitasking
  4. #24  
    This again? Much like the iPhone before the last update...WP7 supports multitasking....just not freely available to 3rd party devs. As an android user, i can tell you some dev's shouldn't have the power to run their apps in the background (at least not without a close button).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Just gobs of irony in this thread. Buckets, really....
    I was thinking the same exact thing.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I was going to get a Zune HD (old 30GB Zune of mine died). But after looking at WP7 I want to wait for the rumored Zun HD2 which should have WP7 just without the phone part. I say should because MS would be shooting themselves in the foot for not emulating the iTouch/iPhone model. I don't seen WP7 as a fail. If I was still strong into my 360 and XBox Live, I'd be seriouly looking into this phone. Since I'm not and still using my Pre, I'd be happy to buy the rumored HD2 with a version of WP7.
    If they make that Zune HD2 with a 7" screen they have a sale!!!!!!! Also allow it to have up to 128gb of storage!!!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    1) Non removable storeage-
    take my freedom, but not my SD card!!! Seriously, get with it, no one besides you cares.

    See:iPhone

    2) Side-Loading apps-
    Again, no one cares...really

    Out of every droid owner I know, not one of them would have a clue what "side loading" means. Irrelevant feature is irrelevant.

    See: everyone

    3) Uneven colored bricks?

    This is just a matter of taste, something which I happen to have a lot of!

    I happen to find the ui to be quite good...

    Way better than androids at the least. Google successfully created the mobile version of windows OS

    See: clunky and unintuitive
    LOL really? That's why Android is surging?

    No one cares? Gee, so glad you spoke for everyone!!! Didn't know you were Mr. Android... ROFLMAO!!!


    Seriously, it's completely obvious you have no idea of what you're talking about. There are many users who download .apk files from google code pages for wifi tethering, one of the most popular features of using Android. Just one small example of why side-loading is so useful and popular within the Android community.
    Last edited by previous2pre; 10/16/2010 at 05:47 AM.
  8. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #28  
    I don't see winpho7-11 as a massive fail, however it won't be the killer success many palm haters on this site are making it out to be. 1) the hardware is no better than the plethora of android hardware currently on the market. 2) if people haven't learned by now to stay away from version 1.0 mobile os's, the world is really going to end and soon!

    People catch on after ios-v1.0,android-v1.0,webOS-v1.0,bb-v1.0, they all brought something new and fresh to the table, but all lacked alot out of the gate. I'm sure many people still have this v1.0 early adopter sydrome, but the masses are not going to drop their android,ios,webOS and bb's to flock to the next brandnew v1.0 os.
  9. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #29  
    I think WP7 will be a bit of a "meh" success; MS will claim it as a terrific launch, but it won't be a good return on the money they put in (how could it be, give what they are spending??) It may even be popular with many users, but it doesn't meet my needs.

    To add to the stuff above from the OP, all of which more or less impact on what I need, I'd add the lack of direct sync with their own desktop organiser (Outlook), the "walled garden" software (so for example, if MS don't want Outlook sync other than via Exchange, it won't be developed) and my opinion that the layout looks hideous.

    I guess the problem is that I want a Buck Rogers hand held computer, but "the man" wants to sell be access to media services and content that my granny could use.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  10. #30  
    The masses have spoken, no one cares about desktop sync. Its a cloud based world.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    3) No multi-tasking
    -Thats not completely true. Microsoft has gone on record saying if a developer needed a multi-tasking service they can grant on case by case basis. So for instance, a music streaming service can multi-task. Furthermore, its been proven most people don't care about multi-tasking but instead the actually use of their phone. If its important, sure they won't look at it, but a lot of people don't need it and won't miss it.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Proven By whom? by you?

    according to your backwards logic, apple shouldn't have invented the iPhone because it was NOT proven that anyone wanted such a device

    People who need to do Actual work, DO use Multi-Tasking as is Proven every single day by PC and Mac users alike!...

    Do you use a tabbed browser? ever have more than 1 tab open at a time? (Multi-Task) But wait why even make a Tabbed Browser its been PROVEN (heaps of Sarcasm) that people DONT multi-task!!!

    Do you ever have more than one document open so you can cross reference something? or have a document open and have the Internet open for research?
    If NOT , than you my friend are THE MINORITY!!
  12. #32  
    Nowadays People who want to be PRODUCTIVE want these SAME features to be with them while MOBILE. Not to be trapped by the fact that they are mobile
  13. #33  
    When i say "proven" i am citing the biggest source of them all. The iPhone.

    Debate it all you want...the iPhone's huge success, and WebOS's poor performance is reason enough that people(and i refer to people as in the mass consumer) did not care for it.

    Do i agree? Nope not really..i love multi-tasking. But i realize i'm a minority consumer with specific needs.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    When i say "proven" i am citing the biggest source of them all. The iPhone.

    Debate it all you want...the iPhone's huge success, and WebOS's poor performance is reason enough that people(and i refer to people as in the mass consumer) did not care for it.

    Do i agree? Nope not really..i love multi-tasking. But i realize i'm a minority consumer with specific needs.
    lol just as i thought... you think everything is about the IPHONE vs webos!!! LMAO!!!... you made a statement that shows your insecurity about the iphone...

    you said Multi tasking is proven.. you say by iphone... yet android is gaining market share and although ppl continue to buy apple that DOES NOT mean ppl dont multi task


    CLEARLY Apple thought diff than you with iOS4... but this is about WebOS vs iOS for you isnt it...

    Have a look at the thread title


    and to quote your own post!!!




    LOL... my Ignore list grows Larger and larger... Ignore List== silence the trolls
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by previous2pre View Post
    I'm curious to see how WP7 phones won't be a massive fail.

    Here are the major issues so far with WP7:

    1) No side-loading of apps
    2) No swapping of external microSD cards without wiping the phone and starting from scratch
    3) No multi-tasking
    4) no copy / paste

    I keep seeing people professing love for WP7 despite these massive disadvantages.

    I think competition is a great thing for the marketplace, the more great phones the better.

    But WP7 is far worse than iPhone out of the gate, crippled beyond repair compared to Android. And to WebOS - do we even need to say anything?

    WP7 looks like a huge piece of turd. Looks to be a WIN just like the KIN.

    How did the Windows mobile team not get massive layoffs already?
    Contrary to popular belief, a vast majority of people don't care about any of the things you listed. Take the iPhone for example, the most popular smart phone known to human kind, JUST got multitasking after three years and for most, it was never a big deal before multitasking was introduced to the iPhone. They use their phones no different now than before.

    It's actually pretty funny. Both my sister and mom – both whom own iPhones – never even knew about copy/paste until I showed them how to use it a few months back. Now that they know how it works, they still don't use it.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    lol just as i thought... you think everything is about the IPHONE vs webos!!! LMAO!!!... you made a statement that shows your insecurity about the iphone...

    you said Multi tasking is proven.. you say by iphone... yet android is gaining market share and although ppl continue to buy apple that DOES NOT mean ppl dont multi task


    CLEARLY Apple thought diff than you with iOS4... but this is about WebOS vs iOS for you isnt it...

    Have a look at the thread title


    and to quote your own post!!!




    LOL... my Ignore list grows Larger and larger... Ignore List== silence the trolls
    People buy Android because the freedom they have when it comes to carrier. When the iPhone goes multi-carrier here in the U.S. (it will happen, eventually) you'll see another shift in the market.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    People buy Android because the freedom they have when it comes to carrier. When the iPhone goes multi-carrier here in the U.S. (it will happen, eventually) you'll see another shift in the market.
    That people all of a sudden won't want to do many things at once...

    Otay!



    Bc Att touting simultaneous Voice and Data , Apple with getting Save-Stating (their vers of Multi tasking) in iOS4, Verizon with LTE, Sprint with WiMax and the FACT that the mobile platform is aiming to match/replace it's desktop counterpart in everything from apps, computer power and NOT having the Full web experience... NOT Wap!

    O yeah , I forgot all that is meaningless.. Bc noone wants multi tasking..

    Please do us al a favor and actually answer the points w something other than nonsensical drivvel , but the iPhone ..



    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Last edited by sketch42; 10/18/2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: some imagery
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    That people all of a sudden won't want to do many things at once...

    Otay!



    Bc Att touting simultaneous Voice and Data , Apple with getting Save-Stating (their vers of Multi tasking) in iOS4, Verizon with LTE, Sprint with WiMax and the FACT that the mobile platform is aiming to match/replace it's desktop counterpart in everything from apps, computer power and NOT having the Full web experience... NOT Wap!

    O yeah , I forgot all that is meaningless.. Bc noone wants multi tasking..

    Please do us al a favor and actually answer the points w something other than nonsensical drivvel , but the iPhone ..



    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    You're taking what I said out of context. I didn't say it was meaningless. Actually, it may be meaningless depending on who you're talking to and like I said above, a lot more people will consider it meaningless than those that don't.

    Again. The Pre was out an entire year before the iPhone received multitasking and the same with Android, yet why didn't people flock to webOS and/or Android? It hasn't been until recent that Android sales are up and that's because of the carrier and device choice, nothing really to do with the OS (other than it's a viable alternative to iOS for those that don't want or can't have AT&T).
  19. #39  
    Sketch42 I do agree with what you are saying but maybe not the way you are saying and that is ok . People the iphone is just a bloody phone Apple is not God they didn't invent the smartphone. They just redesigned it so that others who want a simple product can use it. Barkerja and the other guy says by popular belief???? Bull!! if it's by popular belief then NO ONE NEEDS A SMART PHONE. remember by popular belief 80ish percent of the US (don't know about rest of world) use simple/ feature enhanced phones. So popular belief is not a way to say what you are attempting... What you are saying is according to Apple and Steve Jobs people don't need (input thing iPhone doesn't have)

    Back on the subject...It's hard to actually say how the WP7 is going to sell and be since it's actually not out yet. I know about 2 people who will be buying one. a 1.0 is a 1.0 they will have issues and maybe next version will change on how the OS works will memory
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  20. #40  
    @Sketch42 I don't think people are disagreeing with you to the extent that you think. I think the point is that the market as a whole, does not care "as much" about those things as you think. Not yet anyway. Things are progressing in the direction that you are stating, but I think people are, correctly, arguing that it's not there "yet".

    I certainly want to multi-task and used it on my Pre and still use it on my Evo. But the world, in general, still hasn't gotten to the point where they care much about doing that on a mobile device. The points made about the iPhone are valid ones. It is the single most popular mobile phone today and has been for a while. Yet, it is only now getting certain features (like multi-tasking). The sales has not changed "because of" multi-tasking however. So it's valid to say that "most" (not "everyone") people don't care much about that stuff...yet.

    There was even a poll here on P|C (not very scientific) where the vast majority of users stated they don't keep many apps open and just open an app when they need it and close it when they're done.

    That's not to say they don't use the feature at all, but it suggests that it isn't really the focal point...yet.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions