Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    iPad going on sale in Verizon Wireless and AT&T stores October 28 -- Engadget

Is there any doubt that the iPhone will quickly follow? I'm thinking that Apple and Verizon sealed the deal on the iPhone some time ago but that will probably miss the holiday season. However, why not get the iPad in the Verizon stores for the holidays? Like Steve Wozniak says, the Verizon Pre data plan is the cheapest mifi deal around.
    Last edited by UntidyGuy; 10/14/2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Wifi only vers not cdma

Place holder for an edit

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    <<Thread got up and moved itself to "Other Handhelds">>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    kind of a blow for webOS tablet. iPad seems to be spreading everywhere. hopefully H/P can bring their muscle power to webOS.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    This news is so much worse for the competition than it seems on the surface. All those 16:9, 7" pads are literally half the size of an iPad. Two of them will fit side by side on one iPad screen. R.I.P. GTab. We hardly knew you.

You can buy an iPad at the Apple Store, BB, Target, WM, and now Verizon. How long before you can get them from AT&T and every other carrier? That means that anyone with a competing product will have to share shelf space with an iPad. There is not a pad in the planning stages that can hold up to that kind of comparison.

Couple all that with the fact that people already know what the iPad is and are asking for it by name, not to mention the fact that no one is offering anything in that class at a better price. This seems like a great time to pick up some Apple stock.

You can add AT&T into the mix. They have also announce they will be selling iPads.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 10/14/2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Thing is...WHAT competition?

No one has stepped up yet. Gotta be nice revolutionizing a category and having a year all to yourself to run wild.
  7.    #7  
    We saw a lot of tablet activity at CES last year but none of those devices have made it to market. I think there are three main reasons:

It's very easy to make a side-by side comparision of your prototype device with the iPad. Just get a focus group together and give them a half-hour with both devices. You'll get your answer right away. Before the iPad, you could throw out any eStation Zeen-like tablet because there wasn't any reference as to what a consumer tablet experience should be like. Now, you know exactly what you are up against.

So your HP Slate doesn't animate the screen rotation but blanks out and redraws instead? No big deal a year ago - just eye candy. It's pathetic now. 3 hour battery life? OK last year. Deal killer now. The iPad lasts 10 hours on a charge. Tablet gets a little warm? Well, that's to be expected except the iPad generates almost no heat.

The price point of the iPad, particularly the $500 one was a huge competition killer. That means you either have to blow away the iPad with a device at $500 - $700 price point - very hard to do. Or, completely undercut the iPad with something at $299 - also very hard to do.

Finally, Apple has targeted retailers like Target and WalMart like they did with iPods rather than Macbook retailers. That leaves the same kind shelf space for iPad alternatives as iPod alternatives - not much.
    i will never, ever, ever ever ever buy an apple anything period.
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    I think John Biggs said it best at Techcrunch

Quote Originally Posted by John Biggs via Techcrunch
    Now before we get all grassy knoll on this and start positing a growing relationship between Apple and Verizon, let’s look at the facts: Apple wants to sell hardware and Verizon wants to sell MiFis. This partnership is clearly not about a CDMA iPad or any CDMA/LTE technology at all. It suggests, simply, that Verizon wants in on the Apple gravy train and has agreed with Apple to sell the least popular iPads (most users I know bought the 3G even after owning the Wi-Fi-only version simply because it made more sense) in its stores. This is a clearance sale, not a double rainbow partnership.

Verizon Stores, Not To Be Outdone, Will Have The iPad On October 28
  10.    #10  
    Does anyone think that Verizon really plans to only sell wifi iPads going forward? Not a chance. Why would they even want anyone on their network to use iOS on any device unless they plan to offer the iPhone and the iPad on their own network very soon. This is about CDMA iOS devices that will soon be available on Verizon but will miss the holiday season. This allows Verizon outlets to sell the big holiday gadget which is compatible with their mifi devices. Don't be surprised if Verizon outlets start to take "preorders" (lists) for these devices soon.

The fact that AT&T made a big deal with Microsoft for WP7 probably gave Apple even more reason to kill AT&T's iPad exclusivity.
    Last edited by UntidyGuy; 10/14/2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    The iPad is doing to tablet computers what the iPod did to MP3 Players. When people talk about buying an MP3 player the word iPod is what you hear...weather they are actually looking to buy an apple product or not; Though honestly most of the time they ARE actually buying an iPod. Now with the head start and overwhelming success of the iPad, this machine has become what people expect from a tablet computer. Unfortunately now everything else from this point on will be an imitation, forever playing catch up to the iPad regardless of how capable or even superior those devices may turn out to be.

I have an iPad and with all that being said I still want a Web OS based tablet, so I'm no fan boy I'm just calling it as I see it. This thing is unstoppable. Verizon adding this device to it's stable is just another sign of how dominant Apple has become in the retail space. A sign of how everyone wants of a piece of the Apple pie, and all the other players are fighting for the scraps at this point.

Sorry for the rant, I find this developments very interesting.
    Good for Verizon I guess. Just hope it stays away from Sprint
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    i will never, ever, ever ever ever buy an apple anything period.
    Well, I just checked and, despite your declaration, the stock price is still up above $300. I have a feeling that the only party that will be affected by your policy, in any way, is ... you.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Does anyone know what is selling more - Wifi iPads or 3G? The guy's comment surprised me because my own anecdotal experience is that everyone I know is buying the WiFi, not the 3G.

I know that could be my own skewed data so I was wondering if it was true.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Techcrunch is full of it. According to AT&T, a relative few iPads have been activated for 3G. The wifi version, by all accounts, is the most popular.

Verizon is desperate to carry the fastest selling, consumer electronic item in recent memory. There is no reason to believe that Apple is trying to get rid of stock. They have just now been able to increase supply to get ahead of demand. You are trying to paint a picture where Apple has warehouses full of these things they just can't seem to get rid of, and had to make a deal with Verizon to dump this old, obsolete tech. Absurd!
    Last edited by dandbj13; 10/14/2010 at 12:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Does anyone know what is selling more - Wifi iPads or 3G? The guy's comment surprised me because my own anecdotal experience is that everyone I know is buying the WiFi, not the 3G.

I know that could be my own skewed data so I was wondering if it was true.
    Most of the iPad owners I know have the Wifi model. They consider it to be more of a thing that they use at home where Wifi is always available.
    Not too mention, no major retailers give up valuable holiday shelf space...to products that aren't selling.

When iPads show up at Big Lots, then let's talk!
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That means Verizon will be selling 3G iPads that must be activated on AT&T
    This will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Techcrunch is full of it. According to AT&T, a relative few iPads have been activated for 3G. The wifi version, by all accounts, is the most popular. Further, Appleinsider is reporting that Verizon will be carrying all six models. That means Verizon will be selling 3G iPads that must be activated on AT&T.

Verizon is desperate to carry the fastest selling, consumer electronic item in recent memory. There is no reason to believe that Apple is trying to get rid of stock. They have just now been able to increase supply to get ahead of demand. You are trying to paint a picture where Apple has warehouses full of these things they just can't seem to get rid of, and had to make a deal with Verizon to dump this old, obsolete tech. Absurd!
    ??? i never said a word...

no one said that there where warehouses full of anything collecting dust but you.

all im saying is that the wifi vers seems to be the least popular .. since you never have the option for 3g. and verizon selling 3g ATT ipads , you MUST be smoking the good crack.

this also pushes more data on verizons network, this is sprints Mifi Tactic taken one HUGE step further. Nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    This will never happen.
    You're right. The correction has already been posted on AI.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast