Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    ??? i never said a word...

no one said that there where warehouses full of anything collecting dust but you.
    The quote you used called it "a clearance sale", nothing more. That's BS!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The quote you used called it "a clearance sale", nothing more. That's BS!
    wow you read one line from the whole quote and thats what you took out of it...will you stop at nothing , to make sure your agenda is heard as the truth.?
    Last edited by sketch42; 10/14/2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Removed inflammatory remark
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Good for Verizon I guess. Just hope it stays away from Sprint
    I hope it does come to Sprint. There's a rumor that Apple is redoing the UI and will release a 7" version of the iPad. If both these rumors are true, then the iPad have 50% chance of being my tablet. Android with Gingerbread is my number one pick. WebOS has an outside chance if it has all the apps I use every day, which now don't. But, if MS releases a 7" tablet with the WP7 OS, all bets are off.
  4.    #24  
    I don't think anyone can say what the odds of Sprint getting the iPhone are. Now that iPads are showing up in Verizon showrooms it's conceivable that there is some sort of CDMA exclusivity period for the Verizon iPhone. I do feel that if Sprint does get the iPhone they will have to limit it to a higher-cost data plan because iPhones have to be subsidized at a higher rate. That may negate the benefit of a Sprint data plan for many.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I'm looking forward to pairing my PalmPad wifi with my Mobile HotSpot on Pre+. I'm hoping the PalmPad comes in at a reasonable price in a wifi version to make that dream come true!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCook View Post
    I'm looking forward to pairing my PalmPad wifi with my Mobile HotSpot on Pre+. I'm hoping the PalmPad comes in at a reasonable price in a wifi version to make that dream come true!
    I hate to put a damper on your hopes, but how long do you think Verizon is going to continue the free Pre hotspot? They only did that because they couldn't sell the Pre and had to throw a lot of extras into the bargain. If they carry the next Pre, I suspect they will want to sell it, along with services, rather than treating it like a crippled charity case. I don't know of any other Verizon phones that have that deal. I might be wrong, but I don't think that will last.
    As I contemplate this news, I find that it is so much worse for the GTabs of the world than it seemed at first. Before the other guys can even get a tablet out the door, there will be lines of people at Verizon stores buying iPads.

Beyond that, the cellular stores seem to have a greater incentive to sell iPads than anything else. With Android tablets, Big Red and others have to pay an up-front subsidy to the tune of at least $200-$400 per customer. Then, they have to make it up with a two-year contract: tough sell.

With the iPad, they do not have to bribe customers with up-front subsidies. In addition, the iPad customer pays the carrier a $130 premium to get the product, and that is for the privilege of paying an off-contract, monthly data plan.

For the first time, Verizon will get the warm, fuzzy sensation of having people paying them for premium products without having to offer rebates, bogofs, free with contract after only a few months on the market, etc. They will get a taste of the Apple economy, and there will be no turning back.

Think about it. If you are AT&T and Verizon, which product would you want to sell? Furthermore, ask yourself how far behind are Sprint and T-Mobile with their own iPad offerings? Sprint has already promoted the iPad with their bait and switch iPad case. It is just a matter of time before the other shoe drops.

There is simply nowhere for the Android tablets to go where the iPad is not already dominant. It is going to be almost impossible for the GTab to find a store shelf where it will look like a good buy. So, to the GTab, I say, good bye.
    As I contemplate this news, I find that it is so much worse for the GTabs of the world than it seemed at first. Before the other guys can even get a tablet out the door, there will be lines of people at Verizon stores buying iPads.

Beyond that, the cellular stores seem to have a greater incentive to sell iPads than anything else. With Android tablets, Big Red and others have to pay an up-front subsidy to the tune of at least $200-$400 per customer. Then, they have to make it up with a two-year contract: tough sell.

With the iPad, they do not have to bribe customers with up-front subsidies. In addition, the iPad customer pays the carrier a $130 premium to get the product, and that is for the privilege of paying an off-contract, monthly data plan.

For the first time, Verizon will get the warm, fuzzy sensation of having people paying them for premium products without having to offer rebates, bogofs, free with contract after only a few months on the market, etc. They will get a taste of the Apple economy, and there will be no turning back.

Think about it. If you are AT&T and Verizon, which product would you want to sell? Furthermore, ask yourself how far behind are Sprint and T-Mobile with their own iPad offerings? Sprint has already promoted the iPad with their bait and switch iPad case. It is just a matter of time before the other shoe drops.

There is simply nowhere for the Android tablets to go where the iPad is not already dominant. It is going to be almost impossible for the GTab to find a store shelf where it will look like a good buy. So, to the GTab, I say, good bye.
    You would think so but don't underestimate the masses. They will happily buy Gtabs if the price is much lower and it will be because it will be sub'ed.

And they'll also see that it has a camera, widgets, video recording, and Flash.

Why would you buy a verizon ipad "bundle" when you'll be likely to have a hotspot app on your verizon smartphone?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You would think so but don't underestimate the masses. They will happily buy Gtabs if the price is much lower and it will be because it will be sub'ed.

And they'll also see that it has a camera, widgets, video recording, and Flash.

Why would you buy a verizon ipad "bundle" when you'll be likely to have a hotspot app on your verizon smartphone?
    My point had nothing to do with the consumer. Debating the comparative attributes of the two products is for another thread, (not that I mind that sort of thing). This is about why it will sell better.

First, the customer already wants it. No need to twist arms. There will be lines out the door. Second, the sales model benefits Verizon more than the GTab. The customer wants to buy it, and the cellular store has a greater incentive to sell it.

Finally, I think the demo factor goes to the iPad. It's just easy to demo from a salesperson's point of view. Also, with a side-by-side comparison by the customer, iOS is going to be much easier to pick up and understand than Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, I just checked and, despite your declaration, the stock price is still up above $300. I have a feeling that the only party that will be affected by your policy, in any way, is ... you.
    ...riiight....thats why I don't buy apple stuff...so they'll go out of business....riiiight...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    My point had nothing to do with the consumer. Debating the comparative attributes of the two products is for another thread, (not that I mind that sort of thing). This is about why it will sell better.

First, the customer already wants it. No need to twist arms. There will be lines out the door. Second, the sales model benefits Verizon more than the GTab. The customer wants to buy it, and the cellular store has a greater incentive to sell it.

Finally, I think the demo factor goes to the iPad. It's just easy to demo from a salesperson's point of view. Also, with a side-by-side comparison by the customer, iOS is going to be much easier to pick up and understand than Android.
    The Gtab is a contract vs an ipad with an off contract. I'd think the contract would benefit verizon more.

The customer wants a tablet. Verizon customers in particular know android.

Finally the demo factor goes to Gtab. You can demo the video rec, camera, etc. That will entice the masses more than the bigger screen on the ipad (along with the bigger price tag). Demo Flash. Gtab has the sharper screen. More PPI matters right? Apple says it does..

Not only that, the Gtab offers better accessories. Sylus. Car dock. Google nav.

Why again would you overpay for a ipad "bundle" at verizon and carry around a mifi? The Gtab has 3G built in.
    I guess we will find out on the 28th. I can't wait. The lines you see out the Verizon door will not be for the GT.
    Techcrunch is full of it. According to AT&T, a relative few iPads have been activated for 3G. The wifi version, by all accounts, is the most popular.

Verizon is desperate to carry the fastest selling, consumer electronic item in recent memory. There is no reason to believe that Apple is trying to get rid of stock. They have just now been able to increase supply to get ahead of demand. You are trying to paint a picture where Apple has warehouses full of these things they just can't seem to get rid of, and had to make a deal with Verizon to dump this old, obsolete tech. Absurd!
    Re-read the article. Verizon is trying to sell more MiFi's and the subscriptions that go along with them. Verizon wouldn't care if they were selling dry cowpies with a fruit sticker on them as long as they helped sell data subscriptions - which is where they make the bulk of their profits. Depending on how long a customer keeps the plan active, they could spend more on Verizon monthly subscriptions than the device. That's always been the biggest cost of smartphones with contracts, but like AT&T's iPad offering, these are month-to-month plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Re-read the article. Verizon is trying to sell more MiFi's and the subscriptions that go along with them. Verizon wouldn't care if they were selling dry cowpies with a fruit sticker on them as long as they helped sell data subscriptions - which is where they make the bulk of their profits. Depending on how long a customer keeps the plan active, they could spend more on Verizon monthly subscriptions than the device. That's always been the biggest cost of smartphones with contracts, but like AT&T's iPad offering, these are month-to-month plans.
    Go re-read the ad. The MiFi is on a month-to-month. You can start and stop it at will.
    Its the 29th and still no iPad, Great Post!
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Its the 29th and still no iPad, Great Post!
    Do you mean this?
    Sorry about that I mispoke
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Good for Verizon I guess. Just hope it stays away from Sprint
    rumor has it sprint will get an iphone version after verizon does.
    I don't know about the iPad staying away from Sprint.

Sprint CEO: The iPad Has Been Good to Us: Tech News

They could start directly cashing in on their Hotspots.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    just read that myself ... great read
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast