Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    So I'm currently switching plans under Sprint and have to buy a new phone. Although I'm still researching, it looks like I'm eventually going to choose between the Palm Pixi (free), Palm Pre ($50), Sanyo Zio ($100), Samsung Transform ($150), and HTC Hero($150).

I currently have a Blackberry Curve 8350, which I really detest. It's very sluggish and has few quality apps (go Blackberry!). My main dillemma is whether to go with android or palm, as I haven't previously used either. I really want a good selection of apps and a phone that performs well for the price.

At first, I was pretty set on witching to Android, but the webOS seems to have the advantage in UI and possibly even performance (with multitasking and the ability to overclock). I'm practically starving for applications, thought, and I'm not convinced that WebOS can compete.

I'm not trying to start any arguments, but simply need some good input regarding the phones. BTW, I'm going to post this over at androidcentral too, just to make sure I get a balanced input .

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
    1. A phone that performs well for the price.
    The pixi is free, so I don't think any of the others will best it at "performing for the price".

2. Wanting a good selection of apps.
    Android. There really is no contest between webOS and Android in terms of "good selection of apps". Still, you may want to browse both the app catalog and the android market online and make sure the apps "YOU" want are available. Check out appbrain.com (android) and myappbox.com (android and webos).

3. Multitasking/Task switching
    Both Android and webOS multitasks, but they do it differently. You'll have to decide which works for you. Would you rather manage this yourself (webOS) or let the OS manage it for you (Android)? As for task switching, the stock webOS task switcher is better than the stock Android task switcher. However the Android Market has quite a few options for task switchers.

4. Overclocking.
    You'll have to weight the "ability to overclock" against "the need to overclock". The pixi, and pre are more in the need to overclock camp. I've heard mixed reviews on the Hero in terms of needing to overclock. I don't know about the Zio or Transform.
    Last edited by taharka; 10/13/2010 at 11:04 PM.
    webOS ftw
    Well based on the phones you have listed I would say the pre with out a dout. If you deiced you wanted to go android you may want to spend the extra money and go with the Evo or Epic.
    Dont go off of specs so much but try them all out to get a feel for them...whichever one you connect with best is the one you should go for...i came to pre from a blackberry curve also and whenever i try out android phones they irritate me but you may like how android is setup....webOS just feels right for me i vibe with this phone....
    Quote Originally Posted by zcsm9 View Post
    So I'm currently switching plans under Sprint and have to buy a new phone. Although I'm still researching, it looks like I'm eventually going to choose between the Palm Pixi (free), Palm Pre ($50), Sanyo Zio ($100), Samsung Transform ($150), and HTC Hero($150).

I currently have a Blackberry Curve 8350, which I really detest. It's very sluggish and has few quality apps (go Blackberry!). My main dillemma is whether to go with android or palm, as I haven't previously used either. I really want a good selection of apps and a phone that performs well for the price.

At first, I was pretty set on witching to Android, but the webOS seems to have the advantage in UI and possibly even performance (with multitasking and the ability to overclock). I'm practically starving for applications, thought, and I'm not convinced that WebOS can compete.

I'm not trying to start any arguments, but simply need some good input regarding the phones. BTW, I'm going to post this over at androidcentral too, just to make sure I get a balanced input .

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
    If its about apps, then webos still isn't the choice for you yet. There's lots of good 3D games on webos, but overall the selection is still weak. Andriod is the way to go if you need a mature app market and high end hardware currently. In fact I may do the same if the rumored "mansion" etc devices from Palm disappoint. I've given Palm the benefit of the doubt and stuck with webos and their legacy devices, but it might be a change for me the next time around...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    webOS ftw
    Yeaaah boyyee!!!

Seriously tho, taharka is about right. A few things I'd add (1) if your as blind as a bat, don't buy a pre (2) if you have little mans complex, don't buy a pre (3) if all your friends have droids and iphones and you want to be like them, don't buy a pre.

If you answer 'yes' to any of the above, don't buy a pre or a pixi for that matter. Follow these few simple steps and it will save you, me and alot of other folks from........drama queens!!
    I haven't used android but I can guarantee that if you go with webos you will find a very and easy way to use your smartphone. The ability to customize your phone is amazing and the homebrew community is busy at making these phones better based on capabilities of patches. qwebs will captivate you and make you a believer as it did me. Webos all day!!
    If you want the smoothest most elegant mobile OS on the planet and the best forum, Pre/Central get the Pre. I've been here 16 months and am amazed at how helpful the members are. If you want a clunky mobile OS with Shazam, Sky Map, Talk to Text(more apps) get the Hero. I would stay away from the other phones you mentioned. Either the Pre or Hero are great phones and miles ahead of BB in phone fun! Don't forget you have 30 day trial period. So if you don't like what you get, take it back. Good luck with your new communicator device (I don't know why they still call them phones, nobody answers them anymore, you have to text or twitter)

PS Don't forget to check out the EVO !
    If you have to be on sprint and detest sluggish, you'll probably want the Evo or Epic. In a year, you'll have more choices hopefully. It's probably not a good idea to buy a new Pre (along with the bad build quality issues) especially with a Pre 2 leaked but who knows if Sprint will get it.
    If you do go Android, save your pennies up for the EVO. Everything else is just a wannabe compared to the EVO. Especially avoid the Hero, as it is an obsolete phone that will not be getting the Froyo update. Definitely don't want to be stuck with that.

Otherwise, as has been said before, WebOS beats Android when it comes to the OS part, but Android wins when it comes to apps. That said, I'm a fan of Android myself, and while the OS can't compete with WebOS (none of them can), it's better than the rest of the competition. A lot of the WebOS faithful will turn their nose up at it because they are spoiled with such a marvelous OS, but Android does not suck. Coming from Windows Mobile, I know what suck is, and Android isn't it.

Me, I ended up with a Pixi primarily because of the form factor. Had to have a keyboard and I hate sliders. And it does what I need it to do, even without a crap-ton of available apps. Kind of falling in love with WebOS, but I really can't recommend it to most people. I consider living with WebOS a sacrifice. It was one I was happy to make, but I can't expect others to be. Whether or not you will be is up to you.
    Just too bad you have to hack the crap out of the phone for it to come even close to the EVO's capabilities.

It sounds like you're on a budget, so the EVO may be out of your reach at the moment. Of the phones you mentioned, I'd say go with the Pre. In a year, you can upgrade to a better phone, be that an EVO, Pre 2 (or perhaps a new, and as yet undisclosed, WebOS device), or whatever the newest wizbang flagship device is. The Sprint Pixi doesn't have WiFi if I recall correctly, so unless a physical slider is a big problem for you, go with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I came from the world of BlackBerry, then tried Android, which I returned within 30 days. I am now using a Pixi Plus and love it! WebOS is fantastic!

To address your comment about apps, Android only wins when it comes to quantity. Look for apps on Androlib, then shop for apps here on this site. Compare the screenshots ... That's what helped me decide WebOS was for me.

Best of luck finding the right phone and OS for you!
    Ugh...Androlib?

Appbrain.com is where its at.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    Dont go off of specs so much but try them all out to get a feel for them...whichever one you connect with best is the one you should go for...i came to pre from a blackberry curve also and whenever i try out android phones they irritate me but you may like how android is setup....webOS just feels right for me i vibe with this phone....
    +1

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    webOS.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Ugh...Androlib?

Appbrain.com is where its at.

OK, I'll give you that ... Appbrain looks a LOT better.
    I currently have an Sprint Pre and have since Oct of 09... Same Pre if you can believe that. Though It did have the usb crack issue which was repaired under warranty.

I bought an Evo from my cousin who decided to go iphone... My impressions are as follows:

Build quality - Yes I am listing this first, especially because my pre got the dreaded usb crack. Evo is a wonderful device, feels great and all around beautiful quality. Pre appeals to me size and shape wise because I don't like carrying around what is tandamount to a book on my hip. Pre's build quality is just ok by comparison, the materials are the problem not the design.

Operating system - While android is quoted as being the "open" os, it falls very short in several categories. I dislike that android is so fragmented... Android on one device bears no resemblance to android on another. You have to root to allow the level of customization that webos is capable of. Even though Android is older, webos is far more polished as far as appearance even though feature wise it can only compete once patched.

Apps - I have found that "for me" android market has no apps that the palms don't... I even like many of the games much more on the pre because the seem more well rounded and complete. However, most of the apps i use I had to pay for on the Pre wheras they were free on the market. Android still wins for its selection and Cost.

Multitasking - There is no contest here, after using the Pre the Evo doesn't multitask. It tries to open several functions with the complexity of a computer. If i had not first experienced the simple and elegant design of webos I wouldn't know any better. But I do. They ability to keep 5 or 6 functions open throughout my workday is what keeps the Palm on my hip.

Overall - My pre is activated not because it is the fastest, newest, or largest because it works for me. I think it's shortcomings are far exceeded by its utility, at least for me.
    I hope that the next few devices from palm and hp are able to show their brilliance and improve upon the quality by which we measure these devices by.

Just my .02

-C-
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Wow. Thanks for the many quick replies.

I'll definitely be taking a look at the app websites. My main concern with the selection of apps is mostly if the selection will continue to expand. I detest my Blackberry Curve (the least fun phone in the world), as I am not a business exec, etc. The Blackberry app store is a joke; new apps are almost nonexistent, with most being irrelevent or poorly designed. I think I'll be okay with WebOS as long as the applications available are well-designed, functional, etc., and continue to increase in number - which they seem to be doing.

Finally, overclocking is definately a plus, and it seems that the Hero can't be overclocked much, if at all. Price is an issue, and the Evo and Epic are out of the question.

For those who have used both OS systems, can Android be made to be comparable to webOS visually/functionally?
    Quote Originally Posted by zcsm9 View Post
    ...can Android be made to be comparable to webOS visually/functionally?
    Can pigs fly? Maybe one day but you'd have to do alot of genetic re-engineering.

Its a great question but the interface doesn't really allow for it. Look at the Pre, it doesn't even have a back button. Between the gesture area, multi-tasking, un-obtrusive notifications webOS was built to be user friendly. Android has other strengths but user-friendly aint among them.
    Last edited by foosball; 10/14/2010 at 01:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast