Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Some beg to differ. Is it different? Most certainly, but i haven't found it to be cumbersome or complicated as so many try to make it seem on this forum.

Niether has my non techie girlfriend. And she HATED her Pre.

So basically this is all full of opinions so what does it matter than the same threads keep popping up day after day?
    To some people, "user-friendly" means "easy-to-learn." In those cases, I'd say Android clearly wins. When I first started using my Pixi, there were many things I had to RTFM about, and I am still learning new tips and tricks. Most anyone can pick up an Android and start using it without any instructions.

Granted, not everyone equates "user-friendly" with "easy-to-learn."
    Thats true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    To some people, "user-friendly" means "easy-to-learn." In those cases, I'd say Android clearly wins. When I first started using my Pixi, there were many things I had to RTFM about, and I am still learning new tips and tricks. Most anyone can pick up an Android and start using it without any instructions.

Granted, not everyone equates "user-friendly" with "easy-to-learn."
    Actually I disagree, when I call android clunky or cumbersome , it's bc the simple things aren't obvious.

Again in MY opinion and is not as "easy to learn"

I hear what you mean with webos... I'm still teaching my wife the gesture area, after 6 mos (she still can't get it 100%) but ... I gave her an Aria for 2 weeks and she kept begging for her old phone back bc she understoof it!

Again everyones diff. I hope you can appreciate my opinion as I do yours..
    Quote Originally Posted by paulint View Post
    Webos all day!!
    ...but bring an extra battery and a charger!
    I dunno....i don't know how a menu button and big search button could lead to confusion.

The only thing i learned was get used to long pressing. Its used often. I'll say its hard to know when its supposed to be used, but after a while i kinda knew when something had a long press menu.
    Hi OP.

I recently bought an Evo to try it with every intention of liking it and wanting to stay with it at least until the Palm hardware was updated. Now I see the new Palm Hardware, and am underwhelmed, but I still want to take this thing back because I miss the ease of using webOS. Android feels like old cludgy windows mobile...just with better scrolling. Here are some reasons I would go with webOS:

1. I get "lost" in the Android OS and wonder how I get back to where I was. Cases in point:

a.The separation of text messaging and Instant messaging. webOS puts every conversation together. I don't miss google talk, Aol Instant messenger or Facebook (homebrewed) messages as they pop up like a text message.

b. Multitasking: Android probably handles its multi-tasking better on an OS standpoint, BUT when I close out of something to the homescreen I find myself searching for the best way to get back to it. I know that I can just "hold home" but that is unintuitive after using the cards metaphor.

2. Notification system:

a. I miss messages since Android seems to only show one notification at a time on the main screen.

b. I can't interact with the messages. I want to be able to go to a specific message when I have a new email or text message. Not to the main choice of what email box i want to see. (which brings me to...

3. Separate Email boxes: I liked being able to see all of my mail in one place if I wanted...with the choice of viewing them separately. I don't want to have to go into 4 different boxes to check things. Takes too much time.

4. Apps: Maybe I haven't looked enough, but there aren't many apps I need that I can't find here with the exception of apps for voice search (which maybe coming as the API for microphone access was recently released.) And Gaming on the Pre actually far outstrips Android. Who'dathinkit?

5. Music Player: all of the music players I have tried in Android PALE in comparison to Music Player (Remix) 2.0. I've asked DanPLC if he plans to port to Android...I hope he does, because he will make a boatload of cash if his player hits the Android market.

6. Universal Search: Android's search is more powerful. But I still don't use it as much to find out quick things on the go like i did with my Pre. I could pull out the pre and have an answer to something faster than folk on a computer could go to google and figure it out. The Evo...just isn't there yet. but Android DOES bring back more kind of results, and gives more choices as to what it brings back.

I think there are a few other things, but I can't think of them right now.

There are some things that I will miss if I DO switch back to webOS.

1. the Hardware. The EVO feels, and looks good. I now know why people on this forum want to put webOS on it.

2. Voice Search and input: I can "text" while driving because the thing actually understands my voice.

3. Useful camera. I can actually take pics and video without the app lagging for minutes at a time.

I hope that helps someone. I am now back in the search and will probably reactivate my near launch day Pre in hopes that webOS 2.0 can run well enough on it. Maybe Windows Phone 7 won't disappoint.

nnb
    Try bTunes for your media player on the EVO. It's pretty much an iPod knockoff, and it works well. The rest of your complaints... If there's not currently apps to deal with them (I suspect there are), there probably will be soon. For example, for Facebook notifications, try Bloo. For IM, Trillian is still in beta, but that is expected to be coming soon, possibly with a widget.
    I use Lithium for my mp3 player. The stock HTC one i thought was pretty good though. Worked well, awesome lock screen.
    Last edited by Brain Mantis; 10/20/2010 at 04:32 PM.
    K-9 Mail: Integrates inboxes or keeps them separate - completely user-definable/adjustable by color. Allows different color LED by account. Different notification by account. Selecting notification jumps to the newest unread email of that account.
    Well, since I don't know much about any other platform except Webos.. then you might figure out my choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    K-9 Mail: Integrates inboxes or keeps them separate - completely user-definable/adjustable by color. Allows different color LED by account. Different notification by account. Selecting notification jumps to the newest unread email of that account.
    +1 to K-9 Mail. The HTC email app is pretty good as well (has integrated inboxes as well)
    I've owned 5 android phones, tried a dozen more, and I just keep coming back to WebOS.

The only Android phone I used for more than a week or two was the G1, after that every new handset was a disappointment in one way or the other. Resold my Nexus 1, Sold my Droid, Returned my Captivate, and Sold my Dell Streak.

I mostly need a device to multitask, mod, and surf the web and WebOS is the best I've used so far. If I were you I'd see about getting a used Pre on ebay (they're going cheap) and save your upgrade for next year when the new HP models come out!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12