Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Video chat popularity growing in U.S., study says - CNN.com

I was so dissappointed to hear that the Pre 2 will not have a front facing camera or compass and then I ran across this article today....

The iPhone 4 Facetime has been invoking sales just for this feature alone. Still hoping the US Pre 2 or variant will surprise us with a front facing camera
    Last edited by migs; 10/13/2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Interesting...I know 15+ iP4 users and another 4 EVO users and only ONE uses it on a semi-consistent basis because her husband works in another state. The rest say they'll use it if someone asks about it but not much more. (same response I get with Shazam, "Bump", etc. When I ask)
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I completely agree. I would have thought a front facing camera and compass would have been "givens" in a Palm Pre 2. When is this super phone supposed to come out. My Pre is cracking and I don't know if my super glue patch work will hold it long enough for the super pre to come out...I may reluctantly take the pre 2 just to get a phone that doesn't split its screen in two. Hope the 2 has some hardware suprises, but I'd think it would have been mentioned by now if it had a foward cam.
    Global Posts
    846 Global Posts
    Of course its growing when it was non existant in US. It will grow to some extent but it will never be a HUGE thing just like it's not in the rest of the world. I dont remember when was the last time I've used it.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    People actually do this?
    I think this is one of those cool features to have, but hardly any "average" person uses it regularly. (Unless you have reason to e.i. spouse away/traveling/work/etc.)

Of course there is going to lots of interest in it, it is new and shiny.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    People actually do this?
    I have a few friends with the EVO or iphone and they dont us it.

It would be a nice feature. I would probably take advantage if the pre had it.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    Of course its growing when it was non existant in US. It will grow to some extent but it will never be a HUGE thing just like it's not in the rest of the world. I dont remember when was the last time I've used it.
    I agree video chat is nothing new OUTSIDE the US so for many it will not be a big deal. But I believe at this point it should be a standard and when software like Tango and Yahoo IM that have added cross platform capabilities for video chat there will definitely be a higher demand for front face cams.

Imagine being able to video chat with your friends on iOS, or Android using your Pre on either WIFI or 3G/4G?
    I take a lot of business trips. Being able to jump on the WiFi at airports and hotels, and be able to say goodnight to my kids is awesome (facetiming back to my wife's iPhone), and something I will never do without again on a mobile device
    Pretty pointless. Don't really want them to have to drive up price or screw with device layout JUST to get a front facing camera in there. If you really really REALLY need to have a front facing camera that you can pull out quickly then I'd say get one of the tablets or PMPs that have that feature and just hotpot it to your Pre/Pixi (Plus/2).
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Pretty pointless. Don't really want them to have to drive up price or screw with device layout JUST to get a front facing camera in there. If you really really REALLY need to have a front facing camera that you can pull out quickly then I'd say get one of the tablets or PMPs that have that feature and just hotpot it to your Pre/Pixi (Plus/2).
    ah, the old I don't need it so nobody else should.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    it's great mombileman that you shoot videos and say nite-nite to your kids with your iP4 but shouldn't you...you know go over to TiPB and uh, tell them?

This is PRE-central after all. (No use telling Bimmer owners what your Benz can do on 'their' forum, unless your just trolling through...)
    What's the point if you can only use it over "WiFi" anyways? At least the separate device will trick it into working over 3G in the case of FaceTime.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Look, guys, it's simple. Just have HPalm's designers put a little hole in the front of the new phone and we'll tell everybody that it has a front-facing camera. Very little cost, with all of the bragging rights and the warm fuzzy "I've got the same thing that everybody else at the coffee shop has" feeling. And in the end, we'll use our "camera" about as often as all the other people use their cameras.
    What's the point if you can only use it over "WiFi" anyways? At least the separate device will trick it into working over 3G in the case of FaceTime.
    I agree about the wifi only thing sucking. I wouldn't want to have to be in a public place to use it, or be restricted to anywhere w wifi. Usually if I'm around wifi, I'll have my macbook. Or before long (i hope), a tablet.

videochat over 3g would possibly get me to jump ship though, as long as it didn't have to be w someone who has the same device as me. In my mind, that's like saying your motorolla phone can only call other motorolla phones.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    If you use the Yahoo Messenger app, you can video chat even over 3G with any other Yahoo Messenger user (the only exception I know of would be the people using YM via Synergy). I agree, the iPhones actual "Facetime" implementation is very limited (wifi only, only from iOS to iOS devices). But 3rd parties have come to the rescue. My question is why wouldn't the Yahoo guys just go down the street and show a little love to their Sunnyvale neighbors? Yes, I know, without a front cam and a microphone API, webOS users can't make video calls, but at least give us an app so we can take video calls.
    so you are all for Flash than i take it?? even in iOS?

(hey i dont mind the option and would probably use it, I just dont like double standards)
    You can video chat on the iphone without facetime you know....which means on 3G as well.

Tango seems to be getting talked up a bunch (i have issues with Fring on my Evo).
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    it's great mombileman that you shoot videos and say nite-nite to your kids with your iP4 but shouldn't you...you know go over to TiPB and uh, tell them?

This is PRE-central after all. (No use telling Bimmer owners what your Benz can do on 'their' forum, unless your just trolling through...)
    '

I am not sure what mobileman usses for a phone, but I took the comment to mean exactly what it said. I spend time on mutliple phone forums to find out the nitty gritty of what's going on because I have to support these devices. I am not going to carry around three or four phones. However, you will see this type of thinking " I don't need it so its of no value" on many of these types of forums. Case in point, up until June 2009 iPhone users where saying how useless cut and paste is, and bashed anyone who said different. There were major thread wars over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

Why, I also have a Pre Plus. Am I allowed back into the club now?
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast