Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Fixed it for you.

AT&T is the only one with the WiFi restriction. You can make video chat calls on 3G or 4G on Sprint, and on 3G on T-Mo. Despite their bald-faced lies, T-Mo does not have 4G.
    As sinsin07 said above, you can easily make 3G video/voice calls using Fringo, Tango, Qik, etc on the iPhone with AT&T, but the limitations of the current cellular (3G) networks don't make it worthwhile, especially if you're in a large city where the cell network is saturated.
    I stand corrected. However, if you are using something other than Facetime on your iPhone, does that not nullify all the arguments about how good video chat on the iPhone is because of how integrated Facetime is to the device?

If you're using Qik or Fringo, I assume it works on the iPhone no better than it works on an Android device or something else.
    I stand corrected. However, if you are using something other than Facetime on your iPhone, does that not nullify all the arguments about how good video chat on the iPhone is because of how integrated Facetime is to the device?

If you're using Qik or Fringo, I assume it works on the iPhone no better than it works on an Android device or something else.
    I don't think anything is nullified. It simply means more choice. I've never used FaceTime but from what I hear, it's pretty darn good. Going out on a limb, I'd say many will use it, and only it while others will prefer it if their contact is using it as well but use the others as a backup for those contacts that may not be on an iOS device.
    Another great example for FaceTime, which I will be using next week. Free international calling.

I will be making a lot of FaceTime calls to my mom and sister next week while I'm in Europe. It's convenient and free. The best part is, I can do it from either my phone OR my laptop and it's entirely free, which is added convenience.

I'm not sure if there are any other apps out there right now (does Skype?) that lets you video chat phone <--> computer.
    Yahoo Mesenger does.

Whats really crazy is the voice quality on facetime is > than through the network. "Mute" the camera and you got a great wifi phone option .

the argument is still there bc since FT is integrated in the OS you need to both be on wifi etc..

i wonder if FT can actually be sort of like ie was to MS??

Meaning Anti Competitiveness

The issue central to the case was whether Microsoft was allowed to bundle its flagship Internet Explorer (IE) web browser software with its Microsoft Windows operating system. Bundling them together is alleged to have been responsible for Microsoft's victory in the browser wars as every Windows user had a copy of Internet Explorer. It was further alleged that this unfairly[citation needed] restricted the market for competing web browsers (such as Netscape Navigator or Opera) that were slow to download over a modem or had to be purchased at a store. Underlying these disputes were questions over whether Microsoft altered or manipulated its application programming interfaces (APIs) to favor Internet Explorer over third party web browsers, Microsoft's conduct in forming restrictive licensing agreements with original equipment manufacturer (OEMs), and Microsoft's intent in its course of conduct.
    Microsoft stated that the merging of Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer was the result of innovation and competition, that the two were now the same product and were inextricably linked together and that consumers were now getting all the benefits of IE for free. Those who opposed Microsoft's position countered that the browser was still a distinct and separate product which did not need to be tied to the operating system, since a separate version of Internet Explorer was available for Mac OS. They also asserted that IE was not really free because its development and marketing costs may have kept the price of Windows higher than it might otherwise have been. The case was tried before Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. The DOJ was initially represented by David Boies.

United States v. Microsoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    the argument is still there bc since FT is integrated in the OS you need to both be on wifi etc..

i wonder if FT can actually be sort of like ie was to MS??

Meaning Anti Competitiveness
    I don't see how it could be seen as anti-competitive when they've made it an open protocol.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I don't see how it could be seen as anti-competitive when they've made it an open protocol.
    I think you're looking at it from the wrong direction. What Sketch is saying is that it's anti-competitive (or may appear to be) because Apple is favoring Facetime, it's own built-in facechat program over alternatives. It's not about facetime being open, it's about IOS being closed.

As for whether that's anti-competitive, it is to some degree, but I doubt that would be prosecuted, as IOS isn't nearly as dominant in the smartphone industry (or telephone industry generally) as Windows is/was in the personal computing industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I think you're looking at it from the wrong direction. What Sketch is saying is that it's anti-competitive (or may appear to be) because Apple is favoring Facetime, it's own built-in facechat program over alternatives. It's not about facetime being open, it's about IOS being closed.

As for whether that's anti-competitive, it is to some degree, but I doubt that would be prosecuted, as IOS isn't nearly as dominant in the smartphone industry (or telephone industry generally) as Windows is/was in the personal computing industry.
    I can see that, but the same could be said about them including (and any modern mobile OS) Safari, Mail.app etc. as default when there are others available.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567