Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    On a related note... Anyone catch the new T-Mo "4G" (quotes required) video chat ads, making fun of the iPhone by carrying AT&T on its back?
    Yep. Funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I must have used video chat on the Epic 4G once. It is such a waste of time if you ask me and it wouldn't matter to me if a phone has it or not.
    It's a waste of time because of how un-integrated it is. Unlike the iPhone 4, you have to use a separate application altogether to video chat. With the iPhone 4, making a FaceTime call is no different than making a regular phone call. As a matter of fact, you can be on a call with someone and if they're FaceTime compatible, seamlessly switch over to video.

That's how it's done and should be done.
    Does not matter if it is integrated or not. I find video chatting on a phone to be pointless.
    I don't.
    Does not matter if it is integrated or not. I find video chatting on a phone to be pointless.
    Do you mean pointless for you are anybody? I'm sure you can see the usefulness of video chat if you have a family member stationed in another country. How about your parents live in a different state and you want to show them how your newborn baby looks? How about you are in a store and you see a cool product and want to show your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife. It seems you lack vision.
    front facing camera is one of the features i would be looking for in my next phone purchase even if i may never use it for video chats. it can have other uses.

i would have been more interested in the pre 2 if it did have a front camera. because i like the pre's form factor, the front camera is more appealling to me than a bigger screen. but to each his own. no phone will fullfill everyones needs and so sacrifices have to be made.
    So, what you're saying is Palm should only consider the lowest denominator (that being you)and move forward from there. Forget altogether about giving people options.

Not sure of your situation but for me having FaceTime is a great thing. My entire family is scattered across the U.S. and all have iPhones. So on average, we talk about once a week and hop on a FaceTime call; to see each others faces/emotions is priceless. Especially my 74-year-old grandmother who has one and has no issues with using it.

It's great for her to be able to see things in my life that I've told her about, especially considering she's not able to physically make the trip out here to where I live.
    how can I represent everyone by stating my opinion? I can assure you though the number of people that actually use video chat on phone is in the vast minority.
    You have evaded the question. You were not asked to represent anyone. Your comment was, "I find video chatting on a phone to be pointless", and I asked "pointless for you or anybody". It is a simple question. Don't worry, it;s not important, I surmised the answer from your non answer.

I will pass on your assurances on the number of people who actually use video chat, you are not a source of facts.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11/14/2010 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You have evaded the question. You were not asked to represent anyone. Your comment was, "I find video chatting on a phone to be pointless", and I asked "pointless for you or anybody". It is a simple question. Don't worry, it;s not important, I surmised the answer from your non answer.

I will pass on your assurances on the number of people who actually use video chat, you are not a source of facts.
    That's great except for things like this...

Three reasons FaceTime will flop | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews

And this....

Video calling: Do you want it now? Will you care in a month?

Of course jobs is arrogant enough to think he can manipulate into fruition what the Western World has had and passed on for half a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

And this....

Of course jobs is arrogant enough to think he can manipulate into fruition what the Western World has had and passed on for half a decade.
    Again. You're looking past the obvious. Yes, video chat/conferencing has been available to select mobile phones for years. But has it been available in a functional sense? No.

Apple has taken something and once again improved upon it. Apple has always been about the user experience first and foremost. They make things that a majority of the population can relate to and use without hassle. Stuff that just works.

Have you tried video chat on an Android, Nokia or anything else that doesn't make it as seamless as the iPhone? It's clunky and generally hit-and-miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

And this....

You mean like this highly accurate CNET article: Perspective: The Apple phone flop

Once again, you fail to address the original question, which was prompted by your comment "I find video chatting on a phone to be pointless". The above has nothing to do with your comment. Phonedog, give me a break. I rather see an article by your nanny. Trying to use subterfuge to evade a simple question, tsk tsk tsk.

Edit
    Here is some more predictions:
    Dumb iPhone predictions: A look back
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11/15/2010 at 08:59 PM.
    Checking in on the thread again. Looks like Apple's minions are defending FaceTime tooth and nail, while the rest of us yawn and say, "who cares?" Count me in with the latter. Like deihmos, I used it once and found it to be pointless. I've got a webcam I purchased for Skype on my PC, and I don't use that either. To me, video chat in general, regardless the device or how easy it is to use, is pointless.

It is a feature that sells phones right now because so much focus is being put on it in advertising, but it is a feature the vast majority of users will never use, or will use only once. I agree that there will be more uses for the front-facing camera in the future, so the camera itself is not useless, but video chat... Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's a waste of time because of how un-integrated it is. Unlike the iPhone 4, you have to use a separate application altogether to video chat. With the iPhone 4, making a FaceTime call is no different than making a regular phone call. As a matter of fact, you can be on a call with someone and if they're FaceTime compatible, seamlessly switch over to video.

That's how it's done and should be done.
    I gots me some WiFi's and the 4G's

How seemless is that if you BOTH need to be on wifi to use it? If I want to vChat w a family member I open my iphone while I'm on a call I see I have the facetime button lit up.. So I click it and ... they're not on the wifi's, they must be on the 4g's..

Not soooooo seemless btw, nice try though ( I will give you this though, I don't see it as pointless, I'm away from my fam 2 weeks every month, I would love to have this)oh and when it happens to work, the iphone does it nicely, just too many var right now to get it working
    1 ) both users need iphone 4s
    2 ) both MUST be on the wifi's

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Looks like Apple's minions are defending FaceTime tooth and nail, while the rest of us yawn and say, "who cares?"
    Not correct. Some of us who find vid chat useful aren't even using it on an Apple device.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Hopefully it opens up soon. Things like Fring is helping to get by some of those restrictions. It will get better I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I gots me some WiFi's and the 4G's

How seemless is that if you BOTH need to be on wifi to use it? If I want to vChat w a family member I open my iphone while I'm on a call I see I have the facetime button lit up.. So I click it and ... they're not on the wifi's, they must be on the 4g's..

Not soooooo seemless btw, nice try though ( I will give you this though, I don't see it as pointless, I'm away from my fam 2 weeks every month, I would love to have this)oh and when it happens to work, the iphone does it nicely, just too many var right now to get it working

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    If the cellular data network in the U.S. wasn't so crippled at the moment I'm sure the WiFi restriction wouldn't exist. Video conferencing over 3G is beyond unusable.

Apple made FaceTime an open-protocol. That means it's up to other manufactures to implement it. So in other words, in the future both parties may not need iPhone 4's.
    Tango on android has been the best 3G video chat i've seen yet. It also uses your phone contact book and knows which numbers have tango.

Google needs to man up though, either choose an app to be built in, or build their own google video app.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Not correct. Some of us who find vid chat useful aren't even using it on an Apple device.

I use the video chat often on my Evo-my family (in San Diego), enjoy seeing my children and me (more my children ), so being able to video chat with them is fantastic. Being able to do it from my phone to my mom's computer (via yahoo messenger) makes it super convenient, as she doesn't have a phone with the videochat capability yet.

The bottom line is that it's a feature that many people will use for different purposes. The fact that a single individual or many individuals do not find it so is not all that relevant to whether it should be on a phone. It's a feature that will help sell phones. Any phone that doesn't have it going forward has one less feature than its competitors. That's not a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If the cellular data network in the U.S. on AT&T wasn't so crippled at the moment I'm sure the WiFi restriction wouldn't exist.
    Fixed it for you.

AT&T is the only one with the WiFi restriction. You can make video chat calls on 3G or 4G on Sprint, and on 3G on T-Mo. Despite their bald-faced lies, T-Mo does not have 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Tango on android has been the best 3G video chat i've seen yet. It also uses your phone contact book and knows which numbers have tango.

Google needs to man up though, either choose an app to be built in, or build their own google video app.
    The great thing about Tango is it's cross-platform. iPhone <--> Android and both platforms support it over 3G. However, the quality isn't nearly as good as FaceTime, but it's still good.
    Fixed it for you.

AT&T is the only one with the WiFi restriction. You can make video chat calls on 3G or 4G on Sprint, and on 3G on T-Mo. Despite their bald-faced lies, T-Mo does not have 4G.
    That's for Facetime. As other have mentioned, their is Fring and Tango, which is cross platform.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast