Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 129
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    And by "before" you mean because of right? It's a gimmick no one cares about. How many people went out to buy an iPhone specifically for THAT camera? How many people specifically chose the EVO for THAT camera? How many people chose other phones because they don't care about THAT camera?

    And then how many people with THAT camera actually make use of it? Just because some people find a gimmick useful doesn't make it any less of a gimmick.
    mobiles phones were not created specifically to display emails, but now its standard.

    mobile phones were not created specifically to play music, but now its standard

    mobile phones were not created specifically to take pictures, but now its standard

    you get the idea.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    And by "before" you mean because of right? It's a gimmick no one cares about. How many people went out to buy an iPhone specifically for THAT camera? How many people specifically chose the EVO for THAT camera? How many people chose other phones because they don't care about THAT camera?

    And then how many people with THAT camera actually make use of it? Just because some people find a gimmick useful doesn't make it any less of a gimmick.
    cool story.


    see, I can post childish responses too.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    mobiles phones were not created specifically to display emails, but now its standard.

    mobile phones were not created specifically to play music, but now its standard

    mobile phones were not created specifically to take pictures, but now its standard

    you get the idea.
    Um, no?

    How does a smartphone absorbing the functions of other popular small portable devices relate to that statement?
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Someone better inform Dell!
    Somebody already did. They are called shareholders.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Um, no?

    How does a smartphone absorbing the functions of other small portable devices relate to that statement?
    um yes. What was once looked at as a small fringe feature, is now standard. As will video chatting.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    um yes. What was once looked at as a small fringe feature, is now standard. As will video chatting.
    None of those were "fringe" features. Those were all consolidations of existing POPULAR portable devices...
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    None of those were "fringe" features. Those were all consolidations of existing POPULAR portable devices...
    email was a consolidation of a portable device?
  8. migs's Avatar
    Posts
    875 Posts
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
       #88  
    With the current Pre form factor would a front facing camera even be possible? Maybe next to the light sensor?

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    email was a consolidation of a portable device?
    PDA for $200
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Video chat popularity growing in U.S., study says - CNN.com

    I was so dissappointed to hear that the Pre 2 will not have a front facing camera or compass and then I ran across this article today....

    The iPhone 4 Facetime has been invoking sales just for this feature alone. Still hoping the US Pre 2 or variant will surprise us with a front facing camera
    I can confirm this, but from another angle - professional use.

    Whether its a construction condition in the field, an interview for a job, a physical symptom that a doctor can easily observe, or a verbal reporting of a news event, Face-Time hit on something that business will not only need, but use to reduce cost of services provided, while decreasing the time to produce those services.

    This is only going to become more important, as more and more "clients" of professionals will have a local wifi network that those outside professionals that they hire to perform services for them can gain permission to access to when at their location.

    It would be a HUGE mistake to not incorporate this type of feature into the next Palm supersmartphone, which will likely have more than enough computing capacity with the TI OMAP4 dual core series CPUs due out momentarily.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I can confirm this, but from another angle - professional use.

    Whether its a construction condition in the field, an interview for a job, a physical symptom that a doctor can easily observe, or a verbal reporting of a news event, Face-Time hit on something that business will not only need, but use to reduce cost of services provided, while decreasing the time to produce those services.

    This is only going to become more important, as more and more "clients" of professionals will have a local wifi network that those outside professionals that they hire to perform services for them can gain permission to access to when at their location.

    It would be a HUGE mistake to not incorporate this type of feature into the next Palm supersmartphone, which will likely have more than enough computing capacity with the TI OMAP4 dual core series CPUs due out momentarily.

    See that actually makes a valid case for being able to stream live video from your device which is something that I'm certain will catch on as a main stream feature. That is something that is implementable in the software as long as it interfaces the camera properly.

    That however does not make a case for having a second camera simply so people can see your face. That is the gimmick feature.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    PDA for $200

    Email back then was accomplished via a local sync to your desktop. Kind of a different experience to what you see now. I guess I see the point you are trying to make, but I do not agree with it.

    There is still plenty of room for original innovation. There is a reason that you will not be able to even buy a smartphone in the near future without the front-facing camera. Whether it becomes more popular than other technologies like bluetooth or wireless printing, or something else has yet to be determined.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I'm certain will catch on as a main stream feature.


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    That is the gimmick feature.
    you forgot to add the line at the end...."in my opinion". Oh well, you win. I got to go make a FaceTime call.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Email back then was accomplished via a local sync to your desktop. Kind of a different experience to what you see now. I guess I see the point you are trying to make, but I do not agree with it.
    That depends on which point in the progression of those devices you look. Where they started out and where they progressed to before the product segment died, replaced by the smartphone.

    Or I guess I should say "absorbed" into the smartphone. Or maybe we can look at it as the PDA absorbed all those other portable device features to become the "smartphone."
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 10/14/2010 at 06:33 PM.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    email was a consolidation of a portable device?
    Actually, yes. My palm device sync'd email long before the first smartphone incorporated it.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Email back then was accomplished via a local sync to your desktop. Kind of a different experience to what you see now. I guess I see the point you are trying to make, but I do not agree with it.

    There is still plenty of room for original innovation. There is a reason that you will not be able to even buy a smartphone in the near future without the front-facing camera. Whether it becomes more popular than other technologies like bluetooth or wireless printing, or something else has yet to be determined.
    Sorry MM, you're wrong on this one. Yes, email was done that way (for most devices) because those devices had no other means to connect. I had to PDA that did connect (one through a satellite modem, the other through a wifi card), and both of them sync'd mail without the need for a PC.

    Once smartphones were introduced, syncing email was part of it, because the phone could connect without the computer.

    Handera even used the existing Palm email client.
  17. #97  
    There are real uses for video chat. Business can save travel and time. Families can stay in touch over distances.

    The people wanting video chat fall into one three categories.

    1. People saying, "So what are you doing?" "Nothing." "What are you doing?"

    2. People with real needs.

    3. And people who will never use it but know they are supposed to want it.

    They say that the average Jacuzzi tub will get used only a few times. But try selling them an upscale house without the Jacuzzi.

    It went phone to text to video chat. Each time people could not understand what the fuss was about.

    Palm is excited that they are coming out with "Just Type".

    Everyone else has voice commands and video chat.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/16/2010 at 09:05 PM.
  18. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry MM, you're wrong on this one. Yes, email was done that way (for most devices) because those devices had no other means to connect. I had to PDA that did connect (one through a satellite modem, the other through a wifi card), and both of them sync'd mail without the need for a PC.

    Once smartphones were introduced, syncing email was part of it, because the phone could connect without the computer.

    Handera even used the existing Palm email client.
    I have to ask considering the first smart phone was the Simon announced 1992 by IBM and sold by bellsouth the next year(93) the next one was the Nokia 9000 communicator in 1996 and both had email.

    Even back then palm pilots only had 14.4k modems cards so I would like to know who had released a satellite modem for a PDA back then.. Wifi I could see even though that would be the mid-late 90's but more believable than a satellite modem.

    I would like to know since I can't find anything on any pocket computer/pda using a satellite modem early in the early 90's help me out....
  19. #99  
    One of the huge markets for this is the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community. They were very instrumental in making the Sidekick a success, and the implications of face to face chat are great.

    There are third party companies that would promote the apps if available for sign to voice interpreting services. Like HOVRS, Soronson...

    I would use it to see my son everyday.
  20. #100  
    On a related note... Anyone catch the new T-Mo "4G" (quotes required) video chat ads, making fun of the iPhone by carrying AT&T on its back?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions