Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    so you are all for Flash than i take it?? even in iOS?

(hey i dont mind the option and would probably use it, I just dont like double standards)
    sure, as long as I can turn it off (like I do on my laptops), then I'm fine with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    What's the point if you can only use it over "WiFi" anyways? At least the separate device will trick it into working over 3G in the case of FaceTime.
    because there are plenty of places where I can get free WiFi. As I already said, most airports, hotels, and lots of restaurants have WiFi now. In addition, all of my client sites have WiFi.

I can also use fring and yahoo messenger video chat over 3G.
    I am a big supporter of wanting a front face video chat option on the next palm device.. we don't know if it will be on the pre 2 or the future "super" phone but i think it would be very nice to just, connect with the gf or friends to say hey for a bit during ur workday...
    What's the point if you can only use it over "WiFi" anyways? At least the separate device will trick it into working over 3G in the case of FaceTime.
    A simple jailbreak away.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    A simple jailbreak away.
    Really?

Patch your pre to do things not out of the box and iphoners say , see you have to patch it

"jailbreak" an iphone for the same reason and it's all of a sudden ok

And that's not what avg iphone user will do

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    I have no doubt all new mobile devices (phone and tablets) will ship with a front facing camera in the very near future. Also, I am hoping Apple still distributes the FaceTime API out to 3rd party companies as they promised they would. If this happens, there is no reason future WebOS devices couldn't use facetime also.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I have no doubt all new mobile devices (phone and tablets) will ship with a front facing camera in the very near future. Also, I am hoping Apple still distributes the FaceTime API out to 3rd party companies as they promised they would. If this happens, there is no reason future WebOS devices couldn't use facetime also.
    Then it can go into the slap "superphone". There are other more important thing to be improved upon and that could go into the Pre well before they try to mess with the form factor to try to shove a marginally useful thing like a front facing camera into it. The Pre doesn't have a lot of space to work with so a second camera would e one of the lowest priority options to attempt to add to this form factor.
    Then it can go into the slap "superphone". There are other more important thing to be improved upon and that could go into the Pre well before they try to mess with the form factor to try to shove a marginally useful thing like a front facing camera into it. The Pre doesn't have a lot of space to work with so a second camera would e one of the lowest priority options to attempt to add to this form factor.
    I'm am sure HP has the resources to improve on the Pre in more than 1 way at a time.

"Marginally useful" to you = "Very useful" to me.

I use FaceTime more than I use bluetooth. But I'm not saying Bluetooth is a useless feature because I realize other people use it.
    Same, haven't used bluetooth once on my Evo....have used video chat multiple times.
    I use both daily. It's nice to not have to compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I'm am sure HP has the resources to improve on the Pre in more than 1 way at a time.

"Marginally useful" to you = "Very useful" to me.

I use FaceTime more than I use bluetooth. But I'm not saying Bluetooth is a useless feature because I realize other people use it.
    I didn't say HP couldn't work on improving more than one thing at a time. I said the device's size is a HUGE limiting factor and if they want to keep this form factor, a second camera is probably EXTREMELY low on their priority list.

If they make a slab "superphone" and it doesn't have your second camera then you can complain.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    video chat is goin to be huge eventually. I mean look at text messaging. I myself swore I'd never use it, but I do all the time now. It's simple look at movies about the future and you see video chat all the time. A lot of things from movies with people who have imaginative minds making them seem to creep into actual reality. It's going to happen so why fight it. Especially when it's something for the good and not the bad. I would love to be able to see my fam and friends. Just look at how popular skype is. When I'm in class everyone has a laptop now and half of them are video chatting with someone.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I am heavy user on Skype, with many friends and relatives all over the world.
    Having Skype (or similar) on phone for me is really desirable future!
    HP/Palm Please add this future to the phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Video chat popularity growing in U.S., study says - CNN.com

I was so dissappointed to hear that the Pre 2 will not have a front facing camera or compass and then I ran across this article today....

The iPhone 4 Facetime has been invoking sales just for this feature alone. Still hoping the US Pre 2 or variant will surprise us with a front facing camera
    They had to do a study to know that a new feature is growing? Did they think it might shrink??
    You know, I have to say, Palm could "borrow" Sony's old camera idea, and not have to worry about cameras. The Clie camera flipped, and could face in or out. Of course, it wasn't a video camera, but that could be updated.

I really liked the Clie!
    >>It will grow to some extent but it will never be a HUGE thing just like it's not in the rest of the world. >>

History shows that these comments, especially those with the word "never" always come back to teach us a lesson.

Soon, the idea that we talk to people WITHOUT seeing them will be archaic.

And I am one of the users who also doesn't use Facetime frequently. But its happening. All around us.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    >>It will grow to some extent but it will never be a HUGE thing just like it's not in the rest of the world. >>

History shows that these comments, especially those with the word "never" always come back to teach us a lesson.

Soon, the idea that we talk to people WITHOUT seeing them will be archaic.

And I am one of the users who also doesn't use Facetime frequently. But its happening. All around us.
    Not really. I mean you can look specifically at past examples of this very form of communication and see that that's not really true.

There were attempts to push for video adoption through landlines, that died outside certain specialty groups (the deaf community). Web cam chatting caught on some but text IM, voice chat, text chat all still exist and video web chatting has plateaued. If you look at "history" mobile video chat is more likely to end up as a niche rather than a norm.
    Not really. I mean you can look specifically at past examples of this very form of communication and see that that's not really true.

There were attempts to push for video adoption through landlines, that died outside certain specialty groups (the deaf community). Web cam chatting caught on some but text IM, voice chat, text chat all still exist and video web chatting has plateaued. If you look at "history" mobile video chat is more likely to end up as a niche rather than a norm.
    Wireless networking and devices with cameras that you carry at all times have never been as ubiquitous as they are now, though.
    the device's size is a HUGE limiting factor and if they want to keep this form factor, a second camera is probably EXTREMELY low on their priority list.
    and you know this how?
    Analog phone lines and the cost of the equipment assured that video phones would never take off.

Just like data lines now, and the (incrementally) cheap cost of equipment now ensures it will.

Most people have a cell phone - when the ability to do Facetime, or its equivalent, adds only a couple bucks to what you are already paying, the playing field changes completely.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast