1.    #1  
    I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and what you're doing to solve it.

I'm a Sprint customer (Palm Pre) and live in an area that does not have Sprint service but has service 10-20 miles away, depending on which way I go. It's a small, one horse town, so if I'm in town, I'm almost always at home (and I have an AIRAVE there ).

When I leave though, on my way to work, or off to a big city or something, I'm out of Sprint service. I had an AT&T GoPhone when I first moved here, before I was able to get AIRAVE, but I let it expire.

Now, I'm looking for something to use, in case of an emergency, while driving to and from places. If I stick with the GoPhone, I believe I have to pay $15/month or $30/3 months. Since I don't use it, that's just money out of my pockets. Are there any services that will hold the value in the phone to use so I can keep it in my car for longer time periods? It'd also be nice if there were a CDMA/GSM phone I can use so I can just switch to GSM when driving.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I gave my kids an ATT prepaid phone with a 25 cents per minute rate. I buy $100 dollars in minutes, and the minutes are good for one year. If you add money to the account any unused minutes rollover. $100 per year is only a little bit cheaper than $30/3 months, but this is the cheapest plan I could find.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, but that's still a bit steep for me. I just have having $100 sitting in my center console and not even able to trade it in for cash once I move back to civilization.

When mine expired, I had $14 on it. Now that it's expired, it's gone.

Maybe this is an untapped market? Find an inexpensive phone that works almost everywhere, sell it for $40-$50, and package it with maybe 60 minutes of use and a car charger.
    I used to have T-Mobile prepaid for a little while. Normally, minutes expire 30 days after you purchase them. If you buy more minutes during that time, your current minutes rollover and last for another 30 days.

Once you spend a total of $100 on minutes, all minutes bought after that point don't expire for an entire year. So if you spent $10 on minutes, they would be there for a year.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    If the plan is still offered, a T-mobile prepay phone with $100 of time purchased allows use at a nominal per minute rate, lasts for one year, and can be "added to" at the rate of $10 each additional year. The first year will therefore cost about $15 per month, including the cost of the phone and "refilling" the phone for $10 each year brings the cost per month in each subsequent year to less than 90 cents per month. The per minute cost when purchased in $10 increments is high, but since you will use the phone only occasionally, and since the minutes roll over as long as you re-up each year for $10, this is still easily the best deal around.

Not sure it is still available - I have it and continue to use it.
    Tracfone has phones for $19.99 with double minutes for life. $19.99 gets you a card for 60 minutes for 90 days,doubled = 120 minutesx90 days. Check em out

Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | TracFone Minutes | TracFone
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    All cell phones can dial 911 even if they are not activated. If it is truely and emergency then this should work for you.
    Doesn't your Sprint phone roam on VZW (assuming available coverage) when you leave the Sprint coverage? I can't imagine that AT&T has coverage where VZW doesn't.

Just asking...
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Okay....just hit up the VZW site for coverage in Moulton, TX.....nothing. Strange too because it's flat and the entire area is surrounded by coverage.

Interesting though...Sprint shows roaming coverage there. Must be on US Cellular.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Doesn't your Sprint phone roam on VZW (assuming available coverage) when you leave the Sprint coverage? I can't imagine that AT&T has coverage where VZW doesn't.

Just asking...
    Not that strange. No verizon coverage where i am. But Sprint & AT&T provide 3G.
    Obvious solution for the OP is to switch to AT&T.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Obvious solution for the OP is to switch to AT&T.
    You're right, but I've had bad experience with them in the past, and I love being with Sprint.

Add on a 25% discount to my bill, it's a lot less expensive than AT&T.

Of course, that means nothing when you can't use your phone. And as for the coverage, it is strange that it's completely void in my area of any coverage.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Okay....just hit up the VZW site for coverage in Moulton, TX.....nothing. Strange too because it's flat and the entire area is surrounded by coverage.

Interesting though...Sprint shows roaming coverage there. Must be on US Cellular.
    Wow, forgot I had my location on here.

And I guess I could move. Beer's cheap in Shiner, but I work in Gonzales.
    I second the Tracfone, minutes don't expire and they are sturdy phones, I used one for a year and my dad is still using it.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    Thanks, but that's still a bit steep for me. I just have having $100 sitting in my center console and not even able to trade it in for cash once I move back to civilization.

When mine expired, I had $14 on it. Now that it's expired, it's gone.

Maybe this is an untapped market? Find an inexpensive phone that works almost everywhere, sell it for $40-$50, and package it with maybe 60 minutes of use and a car charger.
    You can also get the goPhone plan $25 for 3 months. The minutes rollover. But if you don't play every 3 months you will lose your rollover minutes. This is the plan I got for my mom.