Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree ( of course the homepage thing being ugly is true) though next to webos this is a OS id consider. Android is horriable Ive delt with it for over 6 months now with webos and can tell you upon experiance for me its not innovated at all. Apple is clean just to simplistic and closed. As well as windows phone 7 will be supported, and be backed by many companies in different models (like HTC and samsung). So yeah if Webos dosent have nothing coming that is remotly desirable im heading there.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The only thing I like about WP7 is their design of the application UIs. Those just look very functional and pretty, like the MS Office one. Also, the transition between pages or apps seems very fast. The home page is ugly as #### though! Those squares look like just a mess of information put together on a screen, and keeping practically the same coloring for each one makes it even harder to quickly distinguish what is what.

PS: I use a Zune player, which I actually tend to enjoy using, so that integration is another plus for this phone OS, but they still need to do something more appealing to that home page!
    Last edited by Solen; 10/14/2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Updated comment
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Too many of you here type out a bunch of rubish that clearly shows you've never played with WP7 or even read the slightest about it.

I am personally inlove with WP7. It fits my lifestyle. I play xbox and use zune daily, this is perfect. I am torn between a new Palm phone or a WP7 device, but with rumours saying MS will have 2000 apps at launch and a bevy of features Palm could never have, WP7 is looking juicier.

WP7 will be a success. MS is pouring so many resources into this puppy. Think Xbox 360-esque resources and effort. Put your MS hate aside and go play with one or read up on this new OS, it's worth it.
    M$ Is doing something different there a point to all the things they did with WP7 they did want to have a app based os like webos android and IOS they were trying to make it so you can get information you want about people you want to get it from without having to open app after app so trying to get rid of having to mutitask by having all the info right infront of you I personally love the os I'm a zune user and zune is better the itunes and xbox is my console so it's kinda perfect for me and office integration look great no one can compete with there office integration and also M$ has the resoreses to get apps and I know there working on getting new features and I'm making the jump when they come out...
    alot of mistakes srry /\ lol oh yea and the keyboard is really good read the previews of windows phone 7 they all praise the keyboard and no one had really anything bad to say expect lack of features and all said the os was fast and smooth unlike webos and andriod
    For me, the jury is still out.

My Zune just died and I'm looking at maybe getting a zune HD. Doesn't it or won't it have the same basic OS similar to iPod touch and iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Not having handled the actual phone yet, that home page screen is pretty damn ugly. A bunch of big rectangles. Seems too minimalistic to me. I like cool wallpaper or animated wallpaper with nice looking icons.. not big green rectangles.. yuk.
    Yeah, I second this ... just don't like the look of the UI.

But don't underestimate the "muscle" of Microsoft. The needed a "reboot" of their mobile OS ... they've created something a little different and will now push it hard, and I expect they'll eventually add some pretty compelling features.
    Well whats huge for MS is its features they have that NO OTHER PHONE will have. At a lesser end, you have Zune, many people don't know what Zune is, but its a really good product to have built in, much ilke the ipod/itunes connection. Also, Xbox integration and MS office integration.

No other phone will have this for the foreseeable future. Great selling points.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    UI looks like a Lego phone designed for your granny to me -totally fugly! Added to that significant missing features that especially affect experienced smartphone users (no c&p, no desktop Outlook sync, replacing SD card requires a hard boot and "may lose data", standard data memory is sub-standard, APIs are incomplete and lock out developers from major subsystems, it's another Apple-style "walled garden", etc, etc)

Having said that. MS are chucking marketing money at it so it will pick up users, and as with all MS products, will be "acceptable" by release 3.

Between Android & iPhone for my next device though, I fear.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    One of windows phone was only internal memory. One phone has an SD card that is supposed to be setup (for multiple memory options...smart samsung) before you take hte phone home Much like what Palm and Apple has done, most phones will just be internal memory.

They avoid the android issues which is the confusions some basic users will have when they realize they ran out of internal memory an they have to move apps to the SD card, but some apps don't move over to the SD card.

C&P coming early next year, no biggie. WHat phone has desktop outlook sync out of the box anymore? API's are more complete than webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    No offense, but it sounds like you don't know much about Windows Phone 7.

Microsoft has STRICT criteria on what windows 7 is allowed on:

Microsoft has said that it is issuing "tough, but fair" hardware requirements to manufacturers.[79] All Windows Phone 7 devices, at minimum, must include the following:[4][80]
    Minimum Windows Phone 7 device requirements
    Capacitive, 4-point multitouch screen with WVGA (800x480) resolution
    1 GHz ARM v7 "Cortex/Scorpion" or better processor
    DirectX9 rendering-capable GPU
    256MB of RAM with at least 8GB of Flash memory
    Accelerometer with compass, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor and Assisted GPS
    5-megapixel camera with flash
    FM radio tuner
    6 dedicated hardware buttons - back, Start, search, camera, power/sleep and Volume Up and Down.[81]
    No offense, but it sounds like you don't know much about hardware. The above you posted is the problem. Will all phones use the exact same components, or will they pick an choose what they want? If it is the latter, then my statement all phones are not created equal holds true. There will be bugs in some models and not others. If you have a post for how that will be addressed, by all means post.

Additionally, Microsoft updates do not go through the carriers:
    According to Microsoft documentation, software updates will be delivered to Windows Phone users via Microsoft Update, as is the case with other Windows operating systems.[43] Microsoft has the intention to directly update any phone running Windows Phone 7 instead of relying on OEMs or wireless carriers.[44] The software component, called Windows Phone Update, exists both on the phone (for smaller updates, over-the-air) and in the Zune PC software (for larger updates, via USB connection). Users will be notified to attach their phones to a PC if such an update is required.[45] Charlie Kindel, Program Manager for the developer experience of Windows Phone, confirmed that the update infrastructure system for Windows Phone 7 was available and that Microsoft is "in a position where we have the systems in place to effectively and reliably deliver updates to (Windows Phone 7) users".[46]
    Microsoft plans to regularly ship minor updates that add missing features, such as copy and paste, through out a year, and major updates once a year.[47]
    All third-party applications can be updated automatically from the Windows Phone Marketplace.
    Thanks.

The reason Microsoft doesn't make their own phone (oh wait they did, the Kin) is because their development strategy is not like that. THey are a software company first and foremost. They have only recently started dabbling in their own hardware. Even then, its developed with the help of design companies and not through Microsoft itself. They know what they are good at, and its software. They also have many partners who would not be happy with them going at it alone when they have previously been blessed to make money using Microsoft's software.
    Ok then I'm mistaken, I did not realize MS did not make the xBox and Zune. Who does?

On the flip side, with you comparison to apple. Apple has been a hardware and software company That has always been in their DNA. While that strategy almost led them to bankruptcy.... Microsoft's strategy has done the opposite.

Yes Apple is booming NOW but that is almost entirely because of the iPod....it was alll a snowball effect from there. Microsoft doesn't have a snowball effect, they don't have the same mindshare when it comes to portable equipment that Apple does.

Hell, Palm doesn't either...look how well it worked for them so far.
    My comment concerning "At least with Palm and Apple, you had one source to go to" was a reference to support not what their business model is.
    Don't really have any thoughts on Win 7 and really not interested enough to look into it. Really happy with webOS, that's the reason why.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    No offense, but it sounds like you don't know much about hardware. The above you posted is the problem. Will all phones use the exact same components, or will they pick an choose what they want? If it is the latter, then my statement all phones are not created equal holds true. There will be bugs in some models and not others. If you have a post for how that will be addressed, by all means post.
    These are the minimum hardware specs:
    256 Mb RAM
    8 GB Memory
    Rear camera w/ flash
    3 front buttons on front, Back, Home and Search as well as dedicated volume toggles

Keyboards are optional

My guess is that apps will be targeted to work within the boundaries of the minimum specs so that all basic app functions will work on every device, unless carrier restrictions get in the way but I think MS is trying to prevent that from happening this time around.

There's a lot of information about WP7 if you're just willing to look for it.
    I am, therefore I think
    To add to that, the xbox was taken too to design companies in order to be built. The original Zune was built by Toshiba. I don't know about the new Zune.

MS hardware in general is usually outsourced to another company and they stamp their name on it.
    To add to that, the xbox was taken too to design companies in order to be built. The original Zune was built by Toshiba. I don't know about the new Zune.

MS hardware in general is usually outsourced to another company and they stamp their name on it.
    So what makes a device belong to a company? So what if the design was done by another company, it still needed the stamp of approval from MS. Companies have other companies design things for them all the time. Does it make it less theirs? Where does the iPhone come from? Why are there no white iPhones? Is it because the Apple company can't build them in Califorinia, or is it because a manufactring company in China can't get white right to Jobs liking?

Apple designed the iPhone, but it is built in China. It is known as an Apple iPhone, not a Foxcon iPhone

I did do a search and found this:

3. Who designed the Xbox 360?

The Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system was designed by Microsoft, in conjunction with two of the most innovative design firms in the world: San Francisco-based Astro Studios and Osaka, Japan-based Hers Experimental Design Laboratory Inc; which worked together to craft a sleek, stylish system that conveys the very essence of the Xbox 360. In addition, Microsoft chose IBM, ATI and SiS at its technology partners for the design of the Xbox 360 hardware.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10/13/2010 at 09:44 PM.
    Somewhere out there right now there is an old radiator wheezing over Windows 7 Mobile............

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12