Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I actually believe Palm's failed marketing was a blessing in disguise. They'd have had a lot more phones returned if they had actually convinced the masses to purchase them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Exactly.
    So what? In the end, it would be the same percentage of sales, so they still would have made more money by selling more phones.

All phones have build quality issues. Some people are just more vocal about it.
    Palm made a couple of major and minor mistakes. The two major mistakes were in doing a poor marketing job and in allowing the Pre/Pixi "minus" versions to continue to live after the Plus version was released. I've had the Plus version a while now and I'm actually pretty rough on my phone but have had NONE of the problems that I've been hearing about with the hardware that seems to be coming mostly from Sprint Pre owners.

The more minor mistakes might actually be less mistakes and more a lack of funds do to low sales. Those are related to webOS optimization and hardware updating that is just now getting up to the door with HP funding.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 10/12/2010 at 11:53 AM.
    You will notice that the moderators have deleted a number of posts.

Do not criticize others for discussing phones on different platforms in the Cross Platform Chat Forum.

That is what this forum is supposed to do.

If you do not want to compare phones on different platforms, simply avoid this forum.

Post about phones and software. If you post negative comments about each other, we have to delete and issue infractions.

We now return you to comparing different phones and platforms...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Palm made a couple of major and minor mistakes. The two major mistakes were in doing a poor marketing job and in allowing the Pre/Pixi "minus" versions to continue to live after the Plus version was released. I've had the Plus version a while now and I'm actually pretty rough on my phone but have had NONE of the problems that I've been hearing about with the hardware that seems to be coming mostly from Sprint Pre owners.

The more minor mistakes might actually be less mistakes and more a lack of funds do to low sales. Those are related to webOS optimization and hardware updating that is just now getting up to the door with HP funding.
    So we hope.

I just really don't like how quiet they have been specifically about the phone space. I understand a vail of secrecy...but Palm/HP is NOT apple. Microsoft has never taken this approach, but instead get beta products out there, talk openly about it multiple times leading up to launch. I think since HP/Palm's device is not wildly known, this is what they should be doing.
    The reasons I don't like the WebOS phones are:
    1. The PIM apps was gutted.
    2. The screen size is too small.
    3. It has a keyboard.
    4. Don't have the apps that I use every day.
    I like palm
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    love the double standard. it's "advertising" if someone buys a pre because someone else has it. It's "sheepism" if everything remains the same but you replace the pre with an iPhone.

Got it. Thanks.
    Yes. I would venture that # of users have something to do with it too. Many users=sheep. Few users !=sheep. Double standard for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Marketing gets the product into the customers head... Good Marketing keeps it there Great marketing makes them believe what you wish
    Good marketing won't sell a bad product year over end. The only thing good marketing can do is generate a spike in initial sales; a great product complimented by good marketing will continue to drive that chart up, however if the marketing is backed by a bad product then … you get the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Good marketing won't sell a bad product year over end. The only thing good marketing can do is generate a spike in initial sales; a great product complimented by good marketing will continue to drive that chart up, however if the marketing is backed by a bad product then you get the idea.
    You're only thinking in black and white here. Good marketing can't carry a bad product for long but it certainly can continue to drive sales of a mediocre (gray) product much higher.
  10.    #70  
    Thanks for the comments.

When the Pre 2 comes out, I'll go to Verizon stores and play dumb (I'm good at that!). I'll say I heard that there are some new Droids out. If s/he doesn't also show me the Pre 2, I'll ask about it.

Few random comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I like Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I like Palm!
    Me too!!! Before I bought my Treo, I looked at others. The Treo just seemed to do things the way I like. It fits my brain better. Interesting that HP bought them. I've always liked HP, going back to the days when they made excellent electronic test equipment (before they spun off Agilent). And I've always owned HP (RPN) calculators. We also have an HP desktop and laptop. Let's see what HP and Palm can do together.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    ... Apple has gotten it to the point where they can release anything with the fruit on the back and the iDiots will flock to buy it for that reason alone. ...
    So true! I was in a meeting a few weeks ago and the guy next to me pulled out a cell. It had a pretty hefty case. Cutouts for the display, buttons, etc. Then he laid it face down on the table. It looked like there was a cutout just so the apple logo could be seen! I guess he wanted everyone to know that he has an iPhone. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    ... Or, the fact that Apple was the first manufacturer to bring out an tablet that people actually want to use. Mercedes Benz has actually deployed them to all their dealerships to help in closing the sale on their cars. PC manufacturers have been making tablets for over 10 years and Apple finally made one that Mercedes thought was worthy for them to use. ...
    Ummm, since when is Mercedes qualified to judge technology? And I certainly wouldn't buy a car based on the brand/type of computer the dealership is using.

300,000 apps now for the iPhone. 5,000 for the Pre. (I think those are the latest numbers?) So does that make the iPhone 60 times better than the Pre? Sorry, I don't think so. Quantity alone doesn't cut it. I've looked at apps that are available for the Pre and I see all that I need (including an RPN calculator!) to keep me happy for now.

And (maybe I shouldn't say this) why are there so many anti-Pre people in a Pre forum? I was looking at some Droid forums just to see what was going on there. I didn't see any Palm people bashing Droids. Another plus for Palm: Palm people are nicer!
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    And (maybe I shouldn't say this) why are there so many anti-Pre people in a Pre forum? I was looking at some Droid forums just to see what was going on there. I didn't see any Palm people bashing Droids. Another plus for Palm: Palm people are nicer!
    Precentral shares it's boards with Treocentral, a good percentage of us were here before the pre and before precentral.

300,000 apps now for the iPhone. 5,000 for the Pre. (I think those are the latest numbers?) So does that make the iPhone 60 times better than the Pre? Sorry, I don't think so. Quantity alone doesn't cut it. I've looked at apps that are available for the Pre and I see all that I need (including an RPN calculator!) to keep me happy for now.
    Utility of apps is a different question than the number of apps, having 60 times as many apps is a indicator of performance and the health of the supporting ecology.
    Gizmondo posted an interesting article this morning from one of their correspondence using an iPad in China. Very interesting and a good reason why netbooks, mini, and future Palm Pads have opportunities. Here's the article:

My iPad Finally Let Me Down - My iPad Finally Let Me Down

I don't own a iPad, but know to well the shortcomings of the iPhone and Apple's inability to thing outside their ecosystem when it comes to external storage (SD cards, etc), USB interfacing, or otherwise. As a photographer, this alone makes the iPad useless and a terrible option when on a photo shoot. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    Me too!!! Before I bought my Treo, I looked at others. The Treo just seemed to do things the way I like. It fits my brain better. Interesting that HP bought them. I've always liked HP, going back to the days when they made excellent electronic test equipment (before they spun off Agilent). And I've always owned HP (RPN) calculators. We also have an HP desktop and laptop. Let's see what HP and Palm can do together.
    Palm does not exist anymore and neither does the Treo or PalmOS. About the only thing the Pre has in common with a Treo is the questionable build quality. WebOS 2.0 even removes the ability to run PalmOS apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    Ummm, since when is Mercedes qualified to judge technology? And I certainly wouldn't buy a car based on the brand/type of computer the dealership is using.
    What an odd comment to make. Do you really think Mercedes purchased the iPads solely to judge their technology? Is it just remotely possible Mercedes saw the iPad as a device that fit well into their business process? When you purchase a computer/phone/technological device are you telling the rest of the world what kind of judge of technology you are? Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK
    Precentral shares it's boards with Treocentral, a good percentage of us were here before the pre and before precentral.
    And a small percentage of us began with VisorCentral - and have seen all this before ... repeatedly.
    i didnt realise they have that sought of response! i suppose there not very populer i dont know anyone who owns one ... but yes i think commision is the key to sales staff!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234