Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OP

Other than the nicer UI theres really nothing much better in webos than Palmos. (minus the web browser)

If you think PalmOS lags on your 680 wait till you try Webos. App loading takes a bit more. On average I say about twice as long ay its fastest. At its worst it will take about 20 seconds, specially when loading google maps.

There is basicly NO features to it. I mean in PalmOS you go in the menu and bamn! all the options you want. webos hmmm cant even send or receive pictures or ringtones via bluetooth.

The camera is hit or miss. Sometimes it opens up in about 5 seconds and other times wont open at all.

The most important thing about the Pre in perticular is its horrible reception compared to other phones. It will drop calls more than other phones on the same network in the same spot.

I say you wait until wuebos 2.0 to see if Palm brings it up to where a smartphone should be. If it is then see about the reception on the Pre 2 to see if its improved.

Just some thoughts from a PalmOS fan to another
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    You're funny. At least I don't go around saying over the top, closed-minded, untrue myths. Like if anybody buys anything Apple they are sheep, etc.
    lol. Not proud of it,but all my friends own an iPhone.

Friend # 1 - bought it cause his wife has one and so do his friends. Never downloaded more than 5 apps.

Friend # 2 - bought it cause his friends and his wife have one. I've had to show him the things he can do with it.

.... I can go on and on. But every example I give will show you that the people who bought the iPhone just bought it cause everyone else did too. I'm not saying it isn't and awesome platform, just that defining most iPhone users as sheep isn't a fanb** jab at iPhone owners. It's simply the truth.

I see it over and over and over again. You're blind if you don't see it yourself. In no way are they as jazzed up about their phone as I am about my Pre. They aren't gadget lovers. They don't search for the latest app or cool feature that comes out for their phone. They just consider it a phone. They only bought it because everybody they know has one.

Once again, not a bad phone by any means. It's just that the iPhone is the 'cool' thing to own in this decade. It'll change when somebody else who's cooler than they are buys another phone and then blogs about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post

Friend # 1 - bought it cause his wife has one and so do his friends. Never downloaded more than 5 apps.

Friend # 2 - bought it cause his friends and his wife have one. I've had to show him the things he can do with it.

.... I can go on and on. But every example I give will show you that the people who bought the iPhone just bought it cause everyone else did too. I'm not saying it isn't and awesome platform, just that defining most iPhone users as sheep isn't a fanb** jab at iPhone owners. It's simply the truth.

I see it over and over and over again. You're blind if you don't see it yourself.
    There's something comforting about owning something your friends and family also use. It's like a small slice of assurance that it doesn't suck and gives you something to talk about and show off to one another.

I see it over and over and over again. You're blind if you don't see it yourself. In no way are they as jazzed up about their phone as I am about my Pre. They aren't gadget lovers. They don't search for the latest app or cool feature that comes out for their phone. They just consider it a phone. They only bought it because everybody they know has one.

Once again, not a bad phone by any means. It's just that the iPhone is the 'cool' thing to own in this decade. It'll change when somebody else who's cooler than they are buys another phone and then blogs about it.
    Read this article.

DailyTech - Apple Ranks Highest in J.D. Power Smartphone Survey, Nokia Last

For the fourth consecutive time, Apple ranks highest on J.D. Power and Associates Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study, the consumer rating company announced yesterday.
    Seems to me it's more than just cool. It just works and that's what people want.

Please notice that Palm was next to last.
    i work for a in a corporate cell phone store and we dont get spiffs for specific phones. and i tell everyone the palm os is amazing but the pre itself feels cheap
    Does anybody have any data on Canadian Pre sales? As I recall, their marketing campaign seemed pretty good and was well received by people on these boards.
    Read this article.

[url= - Apple Ranks Highest in J.D. Power Smartphone Survey, Nokia Last[/url]

Seems to me it's more than just cool. It just works and that's what people want.

Please notice that Palm was next to last.
    There are alot of phones that just 'work'. And trust me, I realize that the Pre simply isn't one of them. But you dodged my point.

Everything I said was based on many iPhone owners being sheep. Never once did I say they were unsatisfied with the phone. There is a reason it's sold millions of unit besides my sheep analogy.

To combat my argument you need to first address my direct point. Satisfaction ratings don't say why they went and bought the phone in the first place. It just says they like the phone now that they have it.

I pointed out two direct examples of sheepism. Don't spout redirects and unrelated topics.
    Are we really comparing the iphone 4 to the palm pre 1 and 1.1? The iphone4 is a polished piece of work but the pre compared very well to the 3g it was positioned against. Palm did fail to knock things out of the park on the first run but the pre has updated to include things that original android and iphone 3g phones have been locked out of. If webos 2.0 can run well on an original pre (I have my doubts lol) they will have really accomplished something that by reading a lot of these boards will apparently go unnoticed and uncared about. I want my Palm apple android killer too, but not enough to be unable to enjoy the early lead on early birds (or any decent game) I got on anyone using android....
    @sofly

oh..... Just noticed how you conveniently ignored the quote about how WebOS as an OS did 'particularly well' in OS performance in that same article you mentioned.

hmmmm..... Blind sheep much?
    But, what did Palm bring new to the table that was not already out there?

Apple has ease of use, the eco system, and apps and Android has the geek factor and customization.

Palm has what? Please don't say WebOS because it's not all that. It definitely doesn't overcome the hardware issues and to this day there are still a tons of useful apps that are not on WebOS. But, I can get them on iPhone or Android.
    Tell that to Hp.. And apple and google..

Apple want(s)[ed] to dismantle palm for a long while. Google wanted to in corporate palm elements into android and HP wants the whole shebang FOR WebOS...

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    To combat my argument you need to first address my direct point. Satisfaction ratings don't say why they went and bought the phone in the first place. It just says they like the phone now that they have it.

I pointed out two direct examples of sheepism. Don't spout redirects and unrelated topics.
    To win you must use more than anecdotal evidence. Bring on the stats. Fight! I'll watch.

So what? My wife, mother and brother all have Palm Pres because I got one. I have to show them how to use it and I don't think they've bought a total of 5 apps among all 3 of them. People buy what other people in their circles buy. It does not make anyone a sheep. Guess what? In the end, my wife, mother and brother all hate their Palm Pre because the product broke down on them or otherwise let them down one too many times. They simply want nothing more to do with Palm because, as my wife put's it, "es una porquería" (it's a piece of crap). [her words]
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So what? My wife, mother and brother all have Palm Pres because I got one. I have to show them how to use it and I don't think they've bought a total of 5 apps among all 3 of them. People buy what other people in their circles buy. It does not make anyone a sheep. [her words]
    Wait, what? It's almost like some kind of advertising, using words that come from the mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    To win you must use more than anecdotal evidence. Bring on the stats. Fight! I'll watch.
    There will unfortunately be no winning in this debate. I have already conceited defeat for having a 'mom phone'. :-(

But at least I can explain to my friends the exact reasons for buying my Pre, whereas they will just tell me the bought their iPhones because, well, 'everybody else has one.'
    I think it is sheer numbers that has Android and iOS hooked. Although iOS was progressive at launch, Android is just Windows Mobile rehashed and open, which has made it easier to spread. Palm's lack of devices and poor marketing hasn't helped recently. Not to mention what has been stated earlier with all of you. With all that said, you will find detractors at all these sites with all operating systems. There is no perfect phone, nor is there a perfect operating system. Arguments will always rage on.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So what? My wife, mother and brother all have Palm Pres because I got one. I have to show them how to use it and I don't think they've bought a total of 5 apps among all 3 of them. People buy what other people in their circles buy. It does not make anyone a sheep. Guess what? In the end, my wife, mother and brother all hate their Palm Pre because the product broke down on them or otherwise let them down one too many times. They simply want nothing more to do with Palm because, as my wife put's it, "es una porquería" (it's a piece of crap). [her words]
    I will put money on this: I bet you touted the Pre like it was layered in gold. I bet you're family was up for new phones and you jumped at the chance to push the Pre.

I HIGHLY doubt they were all like, 'we need a new phone, so we'll buy Pre's cause everybody else has one.'

So to answer you, no, they aren't sheep. I know I am presuming with what I said, but come on! I own a Pre and do the same damn thing with my family and friends! My parents are totally ready for Pre's cause I talk about it so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Wait, what? It's almost like some kind of advertising, using words that come from the mouth.
    lol. +1
    love the double standard. it's "advertising" if someone buys a pre because someone else has it. It's "sheepism" if everything remains the same but you replace the pre with an iPhone.

Got it. Thanks.
    I bought my dad a 3gs iphone cause it's build quality and simplistic ui.
    I bought my brother a 3g iphone cause it's tough and has an easy ui.

The phone's with there otterbox's withstand everything. My brother is quadriplegic and drops his phone daily. He can also use dragon dictation to write homework and stories. The virtual keyboard is the best and easiest to use and with one button you're back to home. I installed Words with friends so my father and brother can play together. Skymap for both of them to finish off the feature list.

I had a pre, have a pixi and enjoy WebOS but it's not for everyone.

The iphone is like a tool and the pre is like a toy. In both software dependability and hardware feel.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Lets take the iphone and all current gen smartphones off the table go back to 6 years ago.

When the main Sp where Rim Palm an Winmo (here in the US)

Many ppl had palm bc of what they were used too with the pilots etc..

Others had winmo fo integration, browser and exchange

Rim had corporate for mainly emails..

But I consistently saw customers come in asking for bberrys and they didn't even have an email adrs or know what one was....
    But they bought it . Why bec it was niche, it made you seem professional.. It was marketing wo spending a dime . Bc the fact was only corp types needed one. And that's who Rim marketed to.
    Those guys ended up creating a lot of bberry sheep at the time.
    Which was good for pushing co like apple to innovate.

Thus creating the market today.

You kniw why I can't stand apple sheep though... Bc they are slowing the innovation process.

Tell me iphine 4 is REALLY not just a spec bump over the 3gs .. Video chat has been available in Eu since 03 so what 1ghz cpu than? Gyroscope? Questionable "Gorrila Glass"? Or is it the more ram? Or lest I forget ips display?

Btw if you read grubers blog you'll see that Amoled , which came first is the same res quality, just google uses low res fonts so you can't tel

I concede that iphone 1 innovated
    But not the 4 or the ipad

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast