Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Who wouldn't want to use this table?

    LOL. Typo that has been corrected.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I hate to say it, but it all comes down to marketing. Apple has gotten it to the point where they can release anything with the fruit on the back and the iDiots will flock to buy it for that reason alone. With the Android phones, they largely piggyback on the Droid marketing campaign. Look at that one, they used Terminator/Cylon imagry married to a name everyone knows from Star Wars. On top of it, whenever someone gets a text message in the room, everyone hears the trademark "Drooooid." Most smartphone users aren't sophisticated enough to know how to change that sound (and I'll grant that some think it's cool and keep it that way) so every text message sent equals a marketing bump.

    Since most people buy what most other people buy, marketing is key. Palm started out with a fraction of the marketing budget of the other companies. Then they made two key mistakes. First, they hired the creepy albino woman as their spokesthing. Then, rather than running commercials, they relied on product placement. That works fine except when your product isn't functional when it is placed. How many times have we seen Chuck answer his iPhone on the screen, where we can see what happens? Then see how many times Det. Beckett, or Jack Bauer, or Bones, or everyone on Flash Foward slides open that keyboard on the black phone that we all know is a Pre? But you NEVER see someone use one. How do you sell people on a product that they never see in use? If you place a product in the woods, is it really placed? In fact, the coolest product placement for the Pre was on Chuck, when a Ring operative left a "prototype" phone behind at the Buy More. It was a Pre. That was a cool idea. Too bad they didn't do more of that.
    ok just read his post and he is referering not only to apple but to droid.

    there is something called marketing that everyone knows... Apple and Verizon just seem to get right!!

    maybe iDiots was a little steep but i mostly agree... and i think you would too.

    i have countless customers who come in asking for (Phone X) without even knowing why they want it!!!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    The answer to why salespeople push droids and iPhones is all about bonuses and commisions. Google and Apple are giving away money to salespeople to get them to sell those phones to you. It's now about what you want, it's about what goes in their pockets.....
    LOL do you have any proof?

    Truth of the matter is Android is a free OS to the phone manufacturers. Google is not giving away money to salespeople. The Android phone is that good, or else you wouldn't see so many people buying one and the buzz around it.

    I bought my Evo for $200, and the Epic for $250. I wish someone paid me to buy them!! LOL
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    ok just read his post and he is referering not only to apple but to droid.

    there is something called marketing that everyone knows... Apple and Verizon just seem to get right!!

    maybe iDiots was a little steep but i mostly agree... and i think you would too.

    i have countless customers who come in asking for (Phone X) without even knowing why they want it!!!
    Let's say the Palm Pre was launched with a top notch marketing campaign...

    You think an awesome marketing campaign is going to overcome the marginal build quality and horrible battery life of the Palm Pre compared against the iPhone and Droid?

    Just look at all the posts on here about the issues with the Palm Pre. Palm would have had a ton of returns and bad mouthing by a ton of customers that returned their Pres.

    I think the successful plan is to build a decent product FIRST and then the marketing campaign.

    If a customer is coming in asking for product X, it's probably because their friend, spouse, co-worker, etc is raving about the product more than an advertisement they saw.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by previous2pre View Post
    LOL do you have any proof?

    Truth of the matter is Android is a free OS to the phone manufacturers. Google is not giving away money to salespeople. The Android phone is that good, or else you wouldn't see so many people buying one and the buzz around it.

    I bought my Evo for $200, and the Epic for $250. I wish someone paid me to buy them!! LOL
    the statement is VERY true... att gives anywhere from $30 to $155 to retailers to sell certain products.. from everything from the aria to the pre plus and everything in between in the smartphone market...

    verizon currently give $200 to retailers for any smart phone they sell PLUS additional incentives given to them by the manufacturer
  6. #26  
    I like Palm
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Let's say the Palm Pre was launched with a top notch marketing campaign...

    You think an awesome marketing campaign is going to overcome the marginal build quality and horrible battery life of the Palm Pre compared against the iPhone and Droid?

    Just look at all the posts on here about the issues with the Palm Pre. Palm would have had a ton of returns and bad mouthing by a ton of customers that returned their Pres.

    I think the successful plan is to build a decent product FIRST and then the marketing campaign.

    If a customer is coming in asking for product X, it's probably because their friend, spouse, co-worker, etc is raving about the product more than an advertisement they saw.
    Marketing gets the product into the customers head... Good Marketing keeps it there Great marketing makes them believe what you wish
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    the statement is VERY true... att gives anywhere from $30 to $155 to retailers to sell certain products.. from everything from the aria to the pre plus and everything in between in the smartphone market...

    verizon currently give $200 to retailers for any smart phone they sell PLUS additional incentives given to them by the manufacturer
    That's true with every single phone, so why single Android out? Google only provides the OS, not even the hardware LOL.

    I'm very familiar with 3rd party retailers as I have a friend who works for a Verizon retailer, but I see no relevance of that compared to the statement "sales people are being paid to push Android"... just silly LOL.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Marketing gets the product into the customers head... Good Marketing keeps it there Great marketing makes them believe what you wish
    That may be somewhat true but also good products generate buzz. Android is a very viable and good platform, that is why so many people are switching.

    If Android sucks, as many people here seem to imply, Android would be going nowhere fast.

    Competition is good, and I just hope WebOS can catch up. I would love to be rocking a WebOS phone again someday.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Marketing gets the product into the customers head... Good Marketing keeps it there Great marketing makes them believe what you wish

    That works if you have a GOOD product to go along with it. I don't think a phone that has the "OREO" effect is that product.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    That works if you have a GOOD product to go along with it. I don't think a phone that has the "OREO" effect is that product.
    tell that to left-handed iPhone users.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    That works if you have a GOOD product to go along with it. I don't think a phone that has the "OREO" effect is that product.
    again you are being a little misguided ... Marketing focuses on the Pluses of the product (no pun intended)
    The Pluses of Palm is WebOS , not the Build... when you focus on the negative, it just shows Palms failed marketing.
  13. #33  
    Wow. People really believe marketing is the only thing that went wrong with Palm. Interesting.
  14. #34  
    not the only thing... but its the one thing that couldve saved them...

    all you hear now is negative speak.. due to the lack of markerting and coupled with hardware problems
  15. #35  
    I like Palm!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  16. #36  
    I actually believe Palm's failed marketing was a blessing in disguise. They'd have had a lot more phones returned if they had actually convinced the masses to purchase them.
  17. #37  
    a good part of marketing is Brand awareness

    Verizon just spent millions Re-Branding with their "Rule the Air" Campaign

    When Att bought Cingular they re-Forced" that they were "raising the bar" and continue to do so.

    lets take the iPhone Apple marketed the iPhone as a Superior product for the past 3 years regardless of the fact that its on a Poor Network... not many would disagree with that.

    the point is NOT to focus on the things that bring you down , but to consistantly force down ppls throats that there isnt actually anything bringing you down.

    Classic Magicians trick.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I actually believe Palm's failed marketing was a blessing in disguise. They'd have had a lot more phones returned if they had actually convinced the masses to purchase them.
    Exactly.
  19. #39  
    Except in the case of a magician, you aren't left at the end of the trick holding a device that basically shatters the illusion the magician was trying to create.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    a good part of marketing is Brand awareness

    Verizon just spent millions Re-Branding with their "Rule the Air" Campaign

    When Att bought Cingular they re-Forced" that they were "raising the bar" and continue to do so.

    lets take the iPhone Apple marketed the iPhone as a Superior product for the past 3 years regardless of the fact that its on a Poor Network... not many would disagree with that.

    the point is NOT to focus on the things that bring you down , but to consistantly force down ppls throats that there isnt actually anything bringing you down.

    Classic Magicians trick.
    But, what did Palm bring new to the table that was not already out there?

    Apple has ease of use, the eco system, and apps and Android has the geek factor and customization.

    Palm has what? Please don't say WebOS because it's not all that. It definitely doesn't overcome the hardware issues and to this day there are still a tons of useful apps that are not on WebOS. But, I can get them on iPhone or Android.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions