Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After checking out the Windows Phone 7 news this morning. I thought to myself, I can understand why Palm is taking its time to enter the market with a new device(s).

With so many different companies surrounding WP7, it appears that WP7 will join Android in the multi-branded, multiple form-factor onslaught (as if you didn't no this). Although this was known, its nothing like seeing all of these devices being displayed and readied for release. With all this being said, Palm and HPs stance seems to more understandable.

For all who thought that Windows Phone would not be competition, I urge you to take a look at the some of the highlights on Engadget. While the OS, IMO, does not compete with webOS. You gotta admit, they have some sweet hardware! So, to get to the point of this post, I am one of those people that is sticking with Palm. At times, I've been one of those people complaining about how Palm needs to hurry up with the hardware. Other times I've been patient. What we need to do now is be patient. New hardware is one the way, but from a business standpoint. Rushing Palm handsets to market would be a big mistake. SO LETS BE PATIENT.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/11/2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Language
    I think many people will now have a new threat on their hands..."if palm doesn't come out with the best thing since sliced bread, I'm leaving for android... or winpho7"
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I think many people will now have a new threat on their hands..."if palm doesn't come out with the best thing since sliced bread, I'm leaving for android... or winpho7"
    Sure!

[i]--Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Newness Developments apps:

I think HP/Palm is trying to reboot the webOS launch. They want to wash away the bad taste the the pre/pixi hardware has left and come out with a complete ecosystem.

This mean realizing HPs goal of having multiple interconnected devices at or not long after launch. I'm thinking they are working on a first-party desktop solution for syncing devices and managing palm profiles. We'll be able to have our palm pads, watches, and phones all working together seamlessly.

They will also be launching with all of the productivity applications we've been missing. I think they are waiting until everything is working perfectly before the show there hand. The dont want a repeat of the pre launch. WebOS was promising, but simply not ready for prime time.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I think, and i said it before and Rod among others with me, HP is mainly preparing a WORLDWIDE launch, which in itself is a major job already!

Agree that they should approach it as a "reboot", as in re-introducing webos 2.0 devices as something totally new, as it would be for the greater part of the world.

And I hope you're right we'll be seeing a total ecosystem including much needed pro-apps, but I doubt them to be there yet by early next year.
    I'm not going to threaten to leave for WinPho7.
    But I think this is the first set of phones that are actually tempting me away from Palm.
    I waited in line for my PRe on launch day and I absolutely love it. But I definetly love new toys as well!

Unfortunately sprint isn't getting a WinPho 7 anytime soon which is sad but it have some time to wait to see what Palm comes out with(As long as my phone lasts. It is finally starting to fall apart. I was lucky and got a well built one). I'm hoping for something good from palm hopefully at CES
    Good points there and I agree - after watching the WP7 launch, I saw that there was nothing significantly exciting there...though the UI looked very sleek...perhaps its best that HP & Palm take their time, but launch new hardware & ecosystems together with a lot of hype built around it....
    HTC Mozart is made from a single piece of anodized aluminum. Me likey!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    You should get REALLY noticed to pick up some developers. Is it that hard to imagine it takes a bit of time to prepare this full swing launch....

I don't think it comes down to only the coming few months as to who will dominate the market the coming years. The dynamic market of the past 5 to 10 years has shown that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I think HP/Palm is trying to reboot the webOS launch. They want to wash away the bad taste the the pre/pixi hardware has left and come out with a complete ecosystem.

This mean realizing HPs goal of having multiple interconnected devices at or not long after launch. I'm thinking they are working on a first-party desktop solution for syncing devices and managing palm profiles. We'll be able to have our palm pads, watches, and phones all working together seamlessly.

They will also be launching with all of the productivity applications we've been missing. I think they are waiting until everything is working perfectly before the show there hand. The dont want a repeat of the pre launch. WebOS was promising, but simply not ready for prime time.
    I agree, I think we'll see some Kin like cloud storage from HPalm

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Really? The Dell Venue Pro is really hot!!! I want it, but I'm not too sure of T-mobile's network.
    does anyone kno which of these models of wp7 will make it to sprint?when? I liked the mozart and dell.. Nice looking devices as for the os they say it's fast and snappy.... Plus I'm a xbox user so xbox live is a rumor to the wireless market for a long time now... If nothing comes out soon for palm I may jus jump to wp7 .... ( this isn't a threat tho jus a honest comment lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Thats ironic considering how long it takes an actual webOS device to launch after a reboot. Unfortunately, it seems like HP's way of washing away the bad taste is to take long enough that hopefully people will have forgotten about the bad taste. Problem is people are forgetting about Palm altogether.
    Sprint gets the HTC 7 Pro, which is basically a Touch Pro 2 right down to the 3.6 inch screen and hardware QWERTY. At least is has 16GB onboard, tho. I don't know what these guys releasing 8GB WP7 phones are thinking...
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbertg4x4 View Post
    does anyone kno which of these models of wp7 will make it to sprint?when?
    The Mozart is for Europe, so it's GSM and won't be heading to Sprint. The only confirmed Sprint WP7 phone that I am aware of is the HTC 7 Pro.

HTC 7 Pro brings Windows Phone 7 to Sprint
    Engadget
    Windows Phone 7 in-depth preview
    Wrap-up

What we've been presented with here doesn't exactly feel like a complete mobile operating system in many ways. Some parts of Windows Phone 7 are more like a wireframe -- an interesting design study, an example of what a next-gen phone platform could be. That's both good and bad. On one side, we're still really excited by the prospect of Metro as a viable, clean-slate approach to the mobile user experience, and there are lots of smart moves being made that could lead to greatness. On the other side, Microsoft has to turn this into a viable retail product that can hang with the fiercest competition in the history of the cellphone in just a few months' time, and there are some serious issues that need to be addressed. Frankly, it's a little scary.

By any measure, Microsoft's got its back against the wall in the mobile game, and becoming competitive quickly is vital to the company's success -- and in that regard, we understand why they've been so adamant about getting Windows Phone 7 on shelves in time for Holiday 2010. The thing is, putting out a product that's half-baked risks alienating early adopters at the worst possible time, especially considering that we see a clear-cut (and pretty painless) path to fixing the most egregious shortcomings. Seriously, if the WP7 team put their heads down and added a clipboard and some rudimentary multitasking, Microsoft could have an exceptionally solid version-one product in Windows Phone 7 -- especially when coupled with the company's fierce outreach to developers.

Of course, that's a big "if" -- the clock is ticking on Windows Phone 7, and the industry has already proven that it won't wait around for companies to play catch-up. It's not about lapping the competition at this point, it's about just being in the race -- and if Microsoft doesn't know that by now, it may already be too late.

This doesn't sound like a very sucessful launch to me. I think I'll stick with my Palm Pre Plus.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Look at all these hardware choices, now, it seems more and more likely that the ability of a single manufacturer to build much marketshare with a couple of devices may be a thing of the past. There's a lot of great hardware coming on some pretty interesting software. I don't see how HP can distinguish itself among these options either in hardware or software.
    One unfortunate distinguishing software feature is that only WebOS has an app catalog without biggies like Netflix, Shazam and official apps from the likes of eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    This doesn't sound like a very sucessful launch to me. I think I'll stick with my Palm Pre Plus.
    Way to quote a dated article from well before launch. Are you not paying attention to the partners, devices and apps they launched today?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Where did you find this article? It must be from the original post, when MSFT previewed this back earlier this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Murph - Engadget
    So, maybe Microsoft meant "people don't do that in 2010." At the mega-corp's UK-based Windows Phone 7 launch event, we were just informed that its hot-off-the-presses mobile OS will be blessed with a software update that'll add copy and paste functionality in "early 2011." That's according to one Andy Less, and while details beyond that are scant, it's possible that said update will also bring other magical makeovers into the fold. We're still a little baffled that the company would leave such a seemingly vital part of the software out at launch, but we guess certain corners always have to be cut in order to get something out before a sure-to-be-profitable holiday quarter. And hey, it's not like we haven't seen another major mobile OS player pull this same stunt before.

Copy and paste coming to Windows Phone 7 in 'early 2011' (update) -- Engadget
    very true
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast