Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That Dell Venue Pro sure looks like it could double as a Pre2 (minus webOS obviously)...would consider it if it was coming out on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    This doesn't sound like a very sucessful launch to me. I think I'll stick with my Palm Pre Plus.
    You only hurt your credibility quoting a july article with unfinished software and trying to pass it off as recent.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Thats ironic considering how long it takes an actual webOS device to launch after a reboot. Unfortunately, it seems like HP's way of washing away the bad taste is to take long enough that hopefully people will have forgotten about the bad taste. Problem is people are forgetting about Palm altogether.
    it's the same approach MS had with windows mobile, and if the hype in this forum and on engadget is any indication, the strategy will be paying off big time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    it's the same approach MS had with windows mobile, and if the hype in this forum and on engadget is any indication, the strategy will be paying off big time.
    I can see that...sort of. The difference I see however, is that MS is rebooting with a somewhat new OS. HP/Palm is rebooting with a new version of their flagship OS that already failed once. So will webOS 2.0 be "new enough" that people will take a second look and not dismiss it as "the thing they've already decided against"? Honest question.
    Quote Originally Posted by acraplegend View Post
    After checking out the Windows Phone 7 news this morning. I thought to myself, I can understand why Palm is taking its time to enter the market with a new device(s).

With so many different companies surrounding WP7, it appears that WP7 will join Android in the multi-branded, multiple form-factor onslaught (as if you didn't no this). Although this was known, its nothing like seeing all of these devices being displayed and readied for release. With all this being said, Palm and HPs stance seems to more understandable.

For all who thought that Windows Phone would not be competition, I urge you to take a look at the some of the highlights on Engadget. While the OS, IMO, does not compete with webOS. You gotta admit, they have some sweet hardware! So, to get to the point of this post, I am one of those people that is sticking with Palm. At times, I've been one of those people complaining about how Palm needs to hurry up with the hardware. Other times I've been patient. What we need to do now is be patient. New hardware is one the way, but from a business standpoint. Rushing Palm handsets to market would be a big mistake. SO LETS BE PATIENT.

Care to take this back given the main site article about the Pre 2 in France? Seems like Palm is falling into its old marketing tricks, announce your new spec bump device the same day as Windows 7 Smartphone.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Yes, this is plain stupid. Announcing a Pre 2 today, although it's just SFR and not Palm themselves. I so hope now there is still something big in the pipeline for CES, otherwise it might be Android 3 instead of webOS 2 for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Don't believe in hype. Wait for the reality when the phone is actuallly in users hands. I checked out the various flavors of the WM7 phones on the site, and for the carriers available in the US, none of the designs were that impressive.

I can see that...sort of. The difference I see however, is that MS is rebooting with a somewhat new OS. HP/Palm is rebooting with a new version of their flagship OS that already failed once. So will webOS 2.0 be "new enough" that people will take a second look and not dismiss it as "the thing they've already decided against"? Honest question.
    A WebOS tablet could save the day. Smartphone market is flooded with smartphones, hard to stand out. A slick sexy WebOS tablet, if were released first would be different. Turn people on to WebOS through the tablet, sparking interst in the phone second.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Care to take this back given the main site article about the Pre 2 in France? Seems like Palm is falling into its old marketing tricks, announce your new spec bump device the same day as Windows 7 Smartphone.
    How trustworthy is the source? Why is this coming out from France, of all places. Has France been accurate about anything since the Maginot Line? LOL Seems suspect.
    Well its with the launch partner Palm original had, so i think they have some significant grounds to stand on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Well its with the launch partner Palm original had, so i think they have some significant grounds to stand on.
    but wo any official pics or even screen dimensions i can hardly go by just the mock up
    Well its a holder splash page. The picture could most certainly be a placeholder pic, but the specs listed with the name Pre 2 sound more than plausible.

I just don't think the carrier would make all this up for no reason. This is how phone leaks were found back in the day with sprint.....their old url's for phones just had the phone name at the end......people would just try typing the name in and boom, phone info leaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I you are referring to my comment: How trustworthy is the source? Why is this coming out from France, of all places. Has France been accurate about anything since the Maginot Line? LOL Seems suspect.
    then thanks for the clarification I was not aware of that.
    yes... but there are still details missing... so till a full release on info i wouldnt take this info as etched in stone yet...(well maybe etched but missing a few lines)
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    yes... but there are still details missing... so till a full release on info i wouldnt take this info as etched in stone yet...(well maybe etched but missing a few lines)
    Well, I think Palm is going to have to say something now....you can't just leave that floating out there.

Unless ... maybe this was a trial balloon. Maybe to gauge what the market reaction to a spec bumped Pre is going to be. From the reaction around P|C I would say it is lukewarm at best.

Perhaps Palm can say this was the phone they had in manufacturing when HP acquired them and they are only going to release it in France (and maybe that's the truth) or within the EU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well, I think Palm is going to have to say something now....you can't just leave that floating out there.

Unless ... maybe this was a trial balloon. Maybe to gauge what the market reaction to a spec bumped Pre is going to be. From the reaction around P|C I would say it is lukewarm at best.

Perhaps Palm can say this was the phone they had in manufacturing when HP acquired them and they are only going to release it in France (and maybe that's the truth) or within the EU.
    Yeah, get ready for another tweet or blog from Sood. It will be summed up in one statement: "More to come." That'll calm everyone down.
    I think so. Thanx to Palms crappy marketing, hardly anyone knows what WebOS/Pre/Pixi is. When HP gets behind the wheel, there no reason the device and the OS won't feel 'New' enough to get Windows 7 level attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    This doesn't sound like a very sucessful launch to
    me. I think I'll stick with my Palm Pre Plus.
    This article is from July. Have you checked out Engadget's coverage of the WP7 event today? They have a ton of posts up today, maybe you should check it out. Here's a more recent quote:

Engadget
    Windows Phone 7 launch guide

"...Overall, the first approach of Windows Phone 7 into the marketplace looks strong. Microsoft has built a surprisingly solid new OS (which we previewed in-depth back in July), has a strong set of carrier relationships in place, and is introducing hardware that if not revolutionary, is certainly competitive...

...All in all, however, Microsoft is most assuredly back in the smartphone game. Windows Phone 7 is a smart, easy to use, and legitimately original OS, and the folks in Redmond seem to have the partnerships and marketing in place to make an impact in a crowded field. It will be interesting to see the company reemerge in this race, and you can be sure we'll be there every step of the way."

I wont mislead and make it seem like all this article did was hail WP7, and glorify it, they did point out some cons and barriers the platform faces, but all in all it was very favorable, and gave a much more current assessment of the mobile platform. Not as misleading as your outdated quote.

But this is PreCentral right, we're die hard webOS fans!!! We're rocking our Pre's/Pixi's/webOS Toasters until we die (unless technological natural selection causes webOS to fade away, which I hope never happens). We know how great webOS is, (simple & true multi-tasking, synergy, unobtrusive notifications, and an embrace of the Homebrew Community, just to name a few) and it can stand on it's own. There's no need for us to throw low blows at the competition.

However to ignore this grand re-entry of Microsoft back into the mobile game would be foolish of HP/Palm or any other mobile competitor. They are launching 10 handsets in 30 countries, that's nothing to scoff at or down play. I love my Pre & webOS just as much as you and everyone else on this site, so today's announcement hasn't swayed me a bit; but for the millions of people around the world itching to get a new smartphone, they have a bunch of new phones to choose from.

HP/Palm definitely have a huge battle if they want to be a top contender in the mobile marketplace. Since they're not licensing their OS to other manufacturers they can't compete the way Google & Microsoft is; by trying to dominate with the number of handsets running their OS. As much as I love webOS I'm not naive enough to believe they can release 1 or 2 phones a year and be a top dog like Apple is. So how will they dominate?

Maybe leveraging HP's huge enterprise/corporate customer base. I mean if they don't gain a huge enough mind & marketshare with consumers, they can probably do well if they sell enough handsets to the business & corporate world & gain marketshare that way; (that's how RIM did it with Blackberry). Also the tablet market is still brand spanking new. Apple has a good head start, but when the PalmPad (or whatever they call it) comes out early next year, I'm sure HP/Palm will come out with a great start.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I agree, I think we'll see some Kin like cloud storage from HPalm

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Oh, the Kin, err kiss of death
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Yeah, get ready for another tweet or blog from Sood. It will be summed up in one statement: "More to come." That'll calm everyone down.
    hahahah
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Way to quote a dated article from well before launch. Are you not paying attention to the partners, devices and apps they launched today?
    Yeah except...ALL 10 WIN7 PHONES RELEASED TODAY LAUNCHED WITH...YOU GUESSED IT 1GHZ CPU'S! (and MANY of them with 8GB of storage!) So nah, I wouldn't worry about the Pre2 at all.

Windows Phone 7 handsets: spec comparison -- Engadget
    I'm not sure it's good for Palm to be last out of the gate and/or so late. By the time they come out with the actual Pre successor, many people will already have chosen a platform and phone.

And not everyone can afford to just jump on another phone mid-contract. It would have been better for them to go head to head with WP7 at least. Now even MSFT has the jump on them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast