Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This weekend my Bell Pre kicked the bucket for the third time except this time it was dead dead. Wouldn't boot, wouldn't recover mode, nothing. Took it into Bell and was told it was outta warranty.

Now with the new Pre's coming I knew it was silly to lock myself into another year of old Pre so I had to go Android. I now have a Samsung Galaxy S.

AND I DON'T SEE WHAT'S SO GREAT ABOUT IT!

Honestly, I've seen those people who yak on and on about how much better android is and how webOS sucks. Well Android is like taking a step back in time towards BlackBerry.

The notification system is ducking clunky (you can't just tap to open ***?), the OS is so customized by Samsung it makes my head hurt, you can't do custom home brew (only pre-designed ROM's) and to even get a custom ROM you have to root. With webOS I had none of these problems and it worked like a dream.

This is my desperate plea to H/Palm: Please for the love of god get me a new webOS phone ASAP. I want to get back into the twenty first century!

Good bye for now webOS
    Just wondering as a fellow bell subscriber, how was the galaxy option better than another pre? Didn't you have to lock in to some term to get the handset? It surely couldn't have been cheaper to purchase outright?
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Cross-Platform Chat - Palm Devices (Pre, Pixi, Treo, etc) vs. iPhone. Windows Mobile vs. BlackBerry. This is the place for "What should I get" and "My smartphone can beat up your smartphone." Formerly the Smartphone Round Robin Forum.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by collegekid13 View Post
    This weekend my Bell Pre kicked the bucket for the third time except this time it was dead dead. Wouldn't boot, wouldn't recover mode, nothing. Took it into Bell and was told it was outta warranty.

Now with the new Pre's coming I knew it was silly to lock myself into another year of old Pre so I had to go Android. I now have a Samsung Galaxy S.

Honestly, I've seen those people who yak on and on about how much better android is and how webOS sucks. Well Android is like taking a step back in time towards BlackBerry.

The notification system is ducking clunky (you can't just tap to open ***?), the OS is so customized by Samsung it makes my head hurt, you can't do custom home brew (only pre-designed ROM's) and to even get a custom ROM you have to root. With webOS I had none of these problems and it worked like a dream.

This is my desperate plea to H/Palm: Please for the love of god get me a new webOS phone ASAP. I want to get back into the twenty first century!

Good bye for now webOS
    1. I get a notification i pull down the window shade and i click it and it opens the app. Not sure where yours isn't doing this.

2. What "home brew" do you want to do to your phone? Most things people home brewed on their Pre's are built in android or you can find a free app to do it. I can help you out with suggestions if you can be more clear.

3. Once you root, you can download apps that require root that open up more in depth things. But yes, unless you make your own, most people will go to a pre designed ROM. However, you can easily make your phone look personalized and your own...some examples:

Additionally, with Launcher pro or ADW launcher you can do many if not all the changes above even without rooting.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Just wondering as a fellow bell subscriber, how was the galaxy option better than another pre? Didn't you have to lock in to some term to get the handset? It surely couldn't have been cheaper to purchase outright?
    I'm on a corporate plan and can get a new phone yearly. I figured it would be silly to lock into another year of Pre when all we keep seeing is leak upon leak of new phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    1. I get a notification i pull down the window shade and i click it and it opens the app. Not sure where yours isn't doing this.

2. What "home brew" do you want to do to your phone? Most things people home brewed on their Pre's are built in android or you can find a free app to do it. I can help you out with suggestions if you can be more clear.

3. Once you root, you can download apps that require root that open up more in depth things. But yes, unless you make your own, most people will go to a pre designed ROM. However, you can easily make your phone look personalized and your own...some examples:

Additionally, with Launcher pro or ADW launcher you can do many if not all the changes above even without rooting.

This is the problem. Pulling down the shade is slow and silly. With webos i just click and it opened or if i had multiple i click and then clicked the correct one and it worked. Fast and efficient. I miss that more than anything else.

What I miss with home brew is the patches and customization you could do. They way you could change the entire OS to whatever you wanted. I don't really miss the home brew apps at all (never really used them.)

If you could direct message me about how you can do those things in the pictures (with bricking the phone or installing custom OS's) I'd be very thankful. The black look is getting old on this phone.
    I had two android phones for a while, put i missed the intuitiveness of the Pre and came back...and I am happy with my decision.
    It looks like this thread is going to evolve into a battle of the homeboys! Please remember that this is a Pre and webOS site and if you want to promote any other OS there are sites for them.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    It looks like this thread is going to evolve into a battle of the homeboys! Please remember that this is a Pre and webOS site and if you want to promote any other OS there are sites for them.
    Yeah but its also the cross platform chat...where you know.....talk cross platform.

I happen to have owned a Pre for a year an now own an Evo, so i think i can count as a good resource for those with questions (and those wiht misconceptions). I like the Pre community but i also go to android central to talk heavily android there

If people don't like it, honestly, stay out of the cross platform.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Yeah but its also the cross platform chat...where you know.....talk cross platform.

I happen to have owned a Pre for a year an now own an Evo, so i think i can count as a good resource for those with questions (and those wiht misconceptions). I like the Pre community but i also go to android central to talk heavily android there

If people don't like it, honestly, stay out of the cross platform.
    +1000
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I'm considering epic4g.. I'll keep following this thread. Nice shots Brain Mantis
    When people first got their Pre's they had such a hard time getting used to it and just could not seem to be able to find the basic features. Many of the threads with software problem were just that things were in different places and worked differently.

The same questions kept coming up over and over again. I wrote a series of Palm Pre Getting Started Tips and Tricks articles. See my signature below for links. A lot of it was nothing more than going from one car to another and the cruise control was in a different place.

Now I own an EVO too and sure enough people have the same misunderstandings about Android so I wrote that Getting Started Guide too:

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

Since I have webOS and Android, I also wrote the:

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Take a look at the Notifications section. It takes a while to get used to the fact that Notifications take up no extra screen space. It is also strange to be able to look at the notification without removing it.

Also take a look at Android Multitasking. It is so weird at first to not have to do your own multitasking by hand.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/10/2010 at 08:51 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    When people first got their Pre's they had such a hard time getting used to it and just could not seem to be able to find the basic features. Many of the threads with software problem were just that things were in different places and worked differently.

The same questions kept coming up over and over again. I wrote a series of Palm Pre Getting Started Tips and Tricks articles. See my signature below for links. A lot of it was nothing more than going from one car to another and the cruise control was in a different place.

Now I own an EVO too and sure enough people have the same misunderstandings about Android so I wrote that Getting Started Guide too:

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

Since I have webOS and Android, I also wrote the:

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Take a look at the Notifications section. It takes a while to get used to the fact that Notifications take up no extra screen space. It is also strange to be able to look at the notification without removing it.

Also take a look at Android Multitasking. It is so weird at first to not have to do your own multitasking by hand.

- Craig
    Thank you for the guides. I found the second one to be very enlightening. I guess I never felt like the were missing but rather like they were helpful add-ons.

For all you all reading this and partially to you Craig I'd like to lay out what still bugs me about this OS after using it for four days now (and I say OS because the hardware is awesome.)

Firstly the notification system still bugs the **** out of me. I know I sound like a broken record but I miss the way webOS did it. The notification pop'd up and then minimized to a pretty icon. I had two choices at that point, swipe to remove and ignore or single click and it opened. With android I keep wanting that because it worked so well. With this OS you can't just click the icon, you have to open what feels like it's own app just to see the notification . At which point you can click or clear all. And that bugs me too. What if I just want to get rid of one notification (or all the stupid app installed notifications but non the SMS reminder.)

The other thing that drives me off the wall is the sheer quantity of menus. They are everywhere like a parasite that just won't die. Menus are the bane of my existence and the reason I hate blackberry OS so much. Maybe I wasn't power user enough with webOS but I remember only needing to open two menus on that phone; one for the battery/phone/etc. and one to open link in new card. With this phone there are menus for everything. And then when you think oh this isn't so bad THERE'S A SUB MENU WITH IT'S OWN SUB MENU. Honestly why the heck do I need so many menus. It's overkill.

Maybe that's why I miss home brew so much. I got to choose what my OS did and didn't do. I didn't get the seafood platter I got the menu and choose what went in my platter. And I miss that choice

These are my big problems right now and I know I may come off whiny but I kinda wrote this whole thread to just get my annoyance and anger with this new thing out.

Now this being said I do have to give a few props to Android.

The thing is stupid fast. I was used to my Pre taking 2-4 minutes to reboot. This thing is up in less than a minute from a cold boot and way less than that in a warm reboot.

The animated wallpapers are pretty cool.

The widgets are awesome. I can't lie that's a killer feature.

But these things still can't win me over. Theres just so many little things that I miss about that OS. This phone is a great phone, don't get me wrong at all, but after being spoiled with webOS and the choice it gave me as a user to do whatever the hell I wanted to it, this phone seems dumbed down. Like I've been given the keys to a fully loaded Mercedes AMG but those keys are the valet keys and I'm limited to the 40mp/h.

*Just my thoughts*
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Oh I almost forgot about you. This is not meant, nor was it ever meant to be, a battle of any kind. It was me letting the internet see what I see and have them give there thoughts, tip and tricks, and other stuff that the internet is good for, to me.

If I wanted a battle I would have posted android sucks on the Android Central forum and posted how every single thing in Android is bad.

But I didn't and I never will. I see the merit in all mobile OS's whether or not I personally like them. This is just my take on the transition from webOS to Android. If you don't like my thought than don't read them. I'll be OK!

Good bye for now webOS

I dont get your logic!

If you are going to be locked in for a year anyway and you hate the samsung then why not take it back! if you have to be locked in for a year get a new Pre and at least youll be able to upgrade to webOs 2.0.

Sorry if Im confused, stuck w/ android or stuck w/ new Pre w/ 2.0 for a year? Seems like a no brainer to me!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I dont get your logic!

If you are going to be locked in for a year anyway and you hate the samsung then why not take it back! if you have to be locked in for a year get a new Pre and at least youll be able to upgrade to webOs 2.0.

Sorry if Im confused, stuck w/ android or stuck w/ new Pre w/ 2.0 for a year? Seems like a no brainer to me!
    I bought this particular phone over a Pre for a bunch of reasons. Firstly the Pre is a 2 year old phone soon to be replaced. I don't want to waste x amount of dollars on an old phone. Secondly I bought it because we don't have any new webOS phones I had to choose something that was either WinMo6 or Android to keep my plan. Thirdly I bought it because I wanted first hand experience with Android OS (I'm in IT help desk. The more I know the better off I am.) Fourth I bought it because it was without doubt the best spec'd phone that Bell currently carries. Fifth the Pre's hardware is garbage. Let's make that plain. The Pre that died was my third replacement and second repair. The hardware is horrible. I wasn't going to re-buy that again. Sixth webOS 2.0 is (and I'm doing mad speculating but) not going to support the oldest of the Pre family. There is no way stacks is going to work properly or well on the old hardware.

Those are pretty much 95% of the reasons I bought this thing for a year. Trust me if H/Palm actually makes a new phone and it ships to Canada before my year's up I will without a doubt be dumping this phone in the closest great lake and buying that H/Palm phone. But for now this thing, with all its eccentricities, will do for a year
    I bought this particular phone over a Pre for a bunch of reasons. Firstly the Pre is a 2 year old phone soon to be replaced. I don't want to waste x amount of dollars on an old phone. Secondly I bought it because we don't have any new webOS phones I had to choose something that was either WinMo6 or Android to keep my plan. Thirdly I bought it because I wanted first hand experience with Android OS (I'm in IT help desk. The more I know the better off I am.) Fourth I bought it because it was without doubt the best spec'd phone that Bell currently carries. Fifth the Pre's hardware is garbage. Let's make that plain. The Pre that died was my third replacement and second repair. The hardware is horrible. I wasn't going to re-buy that again. Sixth webOS 2.0 is (and I'm doing mad speculating but) not going to support the oldest of the Pre family. There is no way stacks is going to work properly or well on the old hardware.

Those are pretty much 95% of the reasons I bought this thing for a year. Trust me if H/Palm actually makes a new phone and it ships to Canada before my year's up I will without a doubt be dumping this phone in the closest great lake and buying that H/Palm phone. But for now this thing, with all its eccentricities, will do for a year
    Well lets take them in order,
    1 you wasted x amount of dollars on a crappy OS
    2 so friggin what! the samsung sucks
    3 done yet?
    4 Pre+ w/ uberkernel = same specs (BTW its less than 1.5 yrs old)
    5 If you're eligible every year for upgrade then you are always under warranty!
    6 I have 2.0 and all I can say is (NDA!) But dont worry so much!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Well lets take them in order,
    1 you wasted x amount of dollars on a crappy OS
    2 so friggin what! the samsung sucks
    3 done yet?
    4 Pre+ w/ uberkernel = same specs (BTW its less than 1.5 yrs old)
    5 If you're eligible every year for upgrade then you are always under warranty!
    6 I have 2.0 and all I can say is (NDA!) But dont worry so much!
    2. The Samsung itself doesn't suck and Android as an overall isn't horrible. As I layed out above it's just missing some key things that webOS had that are making me either bonkers or nuts.
    3. You're never done learning
    4. Honestly, I had my Pre overclocked to a 1ghz and the performance difference between the two phones is plain. The is 0 lag for anything on this phone. Click and done. As for the hardware it has 16GB vs 8, more RAM, MUCH better and bigger screen, and has better phone quality (according to those i've called.) So neither on paper nor in real life is it the same specs as my Pre. It's technically close to the Pre +.
    5. Just 'cause I'm up for upgrade every year doesn't mean I have a constant warranty. The phones are only warranted for a year unless you buy an extended warranty (which from Bell is stupid expensive.)
    6. As I said above I look so forward to getting the next Pre super phone once it's released in Canada. I'm just not going to wait on old hardware that has 0 build quality.

I guess what most of this sums up to is I miss webOS not the Pre.
    my launch day pre - is starting to suffer from being stuck in headphone mode. My hardware is on its last legs. Can anyone comment on batery life of the Evo or Epic compared to the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    my launch day pre - is starting to suffer from being stuck in headphone mode. My hardware is on its last legs. Can anyone comment on batery life of the Evo or Epic compared to the pre.
    Naturally, battery life will depend on how you use your phone. I use my Evo the same way I used my Pre. For me, there is literally a night and day difference between the Evo and the Pre in terms of battery life. I had a touchstone at work and one at home and always had to charge my pre to make sure I had enough juice to make it through the day. With my Evo I normally get between 20 and 30 hours during normal use. During light use (on some weekends) I get 2 - 3 days (I often unplug on Friday morning before work and don't plug back in again until Sunday evening).

Even with heavier than normal use (back when I was playing with every single feature and experimenting with the phone when I first bought it) I'd have enough juice for a 10+ hour work day.

None of my times include very heavy 4G use. I mange the 4G, bluetooth and wifi radios (off when I don't need them). But GPS is always on.

I bought an external power source to use for my long bike rides (50+ miles) and have yet to use it even though on bike rides I'm making heavy use of the GPS, listening to music and taking a few calls. The power source is really more for my planned century rides since we're talking 6-7 hours of GPS tracking and music. We'll see if I really need it then.
    Now that you have a galaxy... i forgot do those have front facing cameras? because u can download tango and be able to video chat with iphone users... just something cool that i hope comes to webos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast