Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    my launch day pre - is starting to suffer from being stuck in headphone mode. My hardware is on its last legs. Can anyone comment on batery life of the Evo or Epic compared to the pre.
    My Evo is better than my Pre. But much like the Pre, some days the battery seems to disappear. I think at worst you are looking at Pre battery levels, at best, you are looking at iPhone 3GS battery power. (iphone 4 battery is actually really nice).

Quote Originally Posted by TigerNamedfTony07 View Post
    Now that you have a galaxy... i forgot do those have front facing cameras? because u can download tango and be able to video chat with iphone users... just something cool that i hope comes to webos
    Agreed, everyone mobile handset should hopefully get Tango...works really well. Crazy though that Verizon still doesn't have a front facing camera phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Naturally, battery life will depend on how you use your phone. I use my Evo the same way I used my Pre. For me, there is literally a night and day difference between the Evo and the Pre in terms of battery life. I had a touchstone at work and one at home and always had to charge my pre to make sure I had enough juice to make it through the day. With my Evo I normally get between 20 and 30 hours during normal use. During light use (on some weekends) I get 2 - 3 days (I often unplug on Friday morning before work and don't plug back in again until Sunday evening).

Even with heavier than normal use (back when I was playing with every single feature and experimenting with the phone when I first bought it) I'd have enough juice for a 10+ hour work day.

None of my times include very heavy 4G use. I mange the 4G, bluetooth and wifi radios (off when I don't need them). But GPS is always on.

I bought an external power source to use for my long bike rides (50+ miles) and have yet to use it even though on bike rides I'm making heavy use of the GPS, listening to music and taking a few calls. The power source is really more for my planned century rides since we're talking 6-7 hours of GPS tracking and music. We'll see if I really need it then.
    Thanks for the info.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerNamedfTony07 View Post
    Now that you have a galaxy... i forgot do those have front facing cameras? because u can download tango and be able to video chat with iphone users... just something cool that i hope comes to webos
    My Galaxy S Vibrant does have the front facing camera. Some of them do and some of them don't.
    @collegekid13, replies below...

Firstly the notification system still bugs the **** out of me. I know I sound like a broken record but I miss the way webOS did it. The notification pop'd up and then minimized to a pretty icon. I had two choices at that point, swipe to remove and ignore or single click and it opened.

Reply: Android Notifications pop up across the top and then minimize to a pretty little icon. Because it is in the status bar, it takes no screen space. Swipe the Notifications down then you have 3 choices:
    1. Just read the Notifications and swipe back up for later.
    2. Tap Clear to clear them all.
    3. Tap a Notification to go to that item in app.

The other thing that drives me off the wall is the sheer quantity of menus.
    Reply: Imagine if we got our wish with webOS and Palm included hundreds of patches and patch request options. Guess how many menus you would need? That's Android. Once it is set up you don't change them often.

Maybe that's why I miss home brew so much. I got to choose what my OS did and didn't do. I didn't get the seafood platter I got the menu and choose what went in my platter. And I miss that choice.

Reply: The patches are a big buffet of options: 400 patches with screenshots for each. That's maybe 1,000 pages of webOS option screens you have gone through? Maybe you have read forum threads on the patches as well? For a lot of months?

Give yourself a week or so to see what you think after you get everything set up and are using it. After we have used anything for a while, we just take our knowledge for granted. It's why the best pitchers often make bad pitching coaches. Once you know it by rote, you don't even think about all the steps.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/11/2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by collegekid13 View Post
    *Just my thoughts*
    collegekid13, do us a favor ... in a year, come back here an update this thread with your experiences with Android.

I'm not saying you will be a convert to Android, nor will you necessarily even more in favor of switching back to a webOS device.

We hear so many people who have not truly experienced the "other" platform that exclaim the virtues of their preferred platform that what we end up with is a lot of antagonistic "mine is better than yours" arguments.

So, please, set a calendar entry with a link to this thread for a year from now and come back and let us know how your year with Android went.

Thanks for your insights you already provided on what you like and dislike!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Things that bugged me about Anroid that I ended up moving back to th iPhone. These are based on my experience with the Captivate.

Notifications. yeah yeah, you swipe down, you look, you clear all. But, you cannot clear an individual notification from that screen. You have to go into the App or clear all.

Gmail integration does not include gmail+email inbox integration. Really. Gmail is it's own app outside of the email app. Why do I have to run 2 inboxes to read email

Can't move an email between folders (with default email client). Sure, I can download the Free "better" email client that doesn't work with exchange, or I can pay for the one that does work with exchange. I don't do that much with email. It's read then delete or move to file. bugger that

App switching. What a bunch of nonsense. Same issue with the iphone. If I'm truly "multi-apping" (I don't care if it's multi-tasking or not), I want to be able to switch back and forth between those apps. Which is fine if I limit it to the 6 last used apps. but if I decide to look at a couple of apps quickly to reference, close them and go back to the 5 I'm normally bouncing around in; my list is suddenly messed up. So I'm back to having to use the homescreen as my open app switcher.

GPS - aGPS doesn't work because it's locked out. You're guided to use Google's stupid wi-fi gps locator which I don't like because it reports data back to Google. Since it takes so long to get a GPS fix, I can't do anything because theres no aGPS data to provide some location data.

Wifi/Data - Really got tired of data not being available. I have cruddy 3G coverage in my house so I use my wifi. I pick up the Android and go do something (surf, app catalog), more often then not I have to refresh and redo the operation because it failed the first time.

Then there are the little stupid things like email. You have an "accounts" in settings to setup email. but wait, that's only for exchange and gmail. You have to go to the email client to add imap and pop. This happened with a couple other items that it really became frustrating.

Sure, there are ways to fix most of the issues, but I'm not a flashy kind of guy. I don't care you can skin your homescreens 10000 ways to Sunday. I just want the basics to work, then I'll start filling in the missing pieces I want. But when the basics don't work, on to something else
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    GPS - aGPS doesn't work because it's locked out. You're guided to use Google's stupid wi-fi gps locator which I don't like because it reports data back to Google. Since it takes so long to get a GPS fix, I can't do anything because theres no aGPS data to provide some location data.

Wifi/Data - Really got tired of data not being available. I have cruddy 3G coverage in my house so I use my wifi. I pick up the Android and go do something (surf, app catalog), more often then not I have to refresh and redo the operation because it failed the first time.
    Based on my wife's EVO, I find these two to be utter nonsense, or at least they have nothing to do with Android itself.

I can sit on my living room couch and get 3.3 yard resolution on GPS within 5 seconds. Who is your carrier, is this VZW at its best again?

I can also get download speeds of around 5Mbps through our WIFI router.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Based on my wife's EVO, I find these two to be utter nonsense, or at least they have nothing to do with Android itself.

I can sit on my living room couch and get 3.3 yard resolution on GPS within 5 seconds. Who is your carrier, is this VZW at its best again?

I can also get download speeds of around 5Mbps through our WIFI router.
    As I said, this is based on my experience with the Captivate. ATT. I didn't attribute this specifically to Android as every manufacturer has their own implementation.

I can sit by my window in my bedroom where both my iPhone and Pre will agps, then gps lock into my position within seconds. The Captivate will sit there with "unable to determine location". There is a known GPS issue with the Captivate that Samsung is providing a patch for. I don't know if mine has that patch but it at least doesn't show up if I do a software update. Also, do a search about lawsuite against Google regarding their forcing handset manufacturers to lock out aGPS in favor of wifi homing.

I also didn't state that I couldn't use wi-fi. I said it had issues connecting via wi-fi initially. (usually from screen off) If screen is already on for a bit I have no issues
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    collegekid13, do us a favor ... in a year, come back here an update this thread with your experiences with Android.

I'm not saying you will be a convert to Android, nor will you necessarily even more in favor of switching back to a webOS device.

We hear so many people who have not truly experienced the "other" platform that exclaim the virtues of their preferred platform that what we end up with is a lot of antagonistic "mine is better than yours" arguments.

So, please, set a calendar entry with a link to this thread for a year from now and come back and let us know how your year with Android went.

Thanks for your insights you already provided on what you like and dislike!
    I defiantly will keep this thread in my bookmarks. At this point I'm fairly worn into the device after killing the first one. And I'm sure the problems with disappear with use but it will bug me until then.

And your welcome!
    The Captivate is the worst Android Galaxy S phone on the worst carrier - AT&T. No wonder people complain.

I love my Epic / Evo, not so much the Samsung Moment which lagged and had a tiny screen.

People need to understand once they get settled in on a phone / platform, any other platform is going to be different, with its own pros and cons.

You can either change, or don't. If you don't, then stick with what you have. But if you're open to change, you can then live with the new platform for a few months and then decide if you like it better or not.

I have an iPhone 2G, now 3GS, along with Win Mobile 6.5, Android 1.5 / 2.1 / 2.2, and of course the Palm Centro, oops forgot my Blackberry.

I have had many many months if not years with the various platforms, and I can tell you Android is my #1 preferred OS right now. If not for the lackidaisical hardware of the current Palm devices, I might very well be rocking a Palm WebOS device.

Far behind Android is iPhone, a little behind that is Win Mobile / Blackberry.

Is Android perfect? Heck no!! But it is amazing in how fast and how far it has come in just a couple of years. When I bought my Samsung Moment last November it was pretty amazing, but the Evo / Epic with the newer Android OS is far superior and simply blows me away.

If you are open to trying out new things, go for Android. If you like WebOS and will be buried with your Palm phone, don't even try, it will make you miserable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrecr View Post
    I had two android phones for a while, put i missed the intuitiveness of the Pre and came back...and I am happy with my decision.
    same here, i had a hero and evo and i sold them both and got a refurb pre and im happy. i will also be buying the pre2 if it comes to sprint. android is nice but has a horrid memory leak.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    same here, i had a hero and evo and i sold them both and got a refurb pre and im happy. i will also be buying the pre2 if it comes to sprint. android is nice but has a horrid memory leak.
    Source?

Android is a general OS. So many different phones and versions of Android exists, that this is a completely inaccurate statement to make.

I have had the Moment, now have the Evo / Epic. Have not had an issue with memory leaks.

I have experienced memory leaks on my Blackberry though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    android is nice but has a horrid memory leak.
    LOL The entire OS has a horrid memory leak huh?
    i haven't had a memory issue yet to be honest

And i think we all know the too many cards error on th sprint pre that rampant.
    I do not know answers to all of your questions but here are the ones I know...
    Can't move an email between folders (with default email client).
    Sure, I can download the Free "better" email client that doesn't work with exchange, or I can pay for the one that does work with exchange. I don't do that much with email. It's read then delete or move to file. bugger that
    As you point out, there is an app for that. There are actually several good email apps for your specific needs such as Exchange Touchdown or RoadSync noted in the Email Tips and Tricks section of the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks.

I want to be able to switch back and forth between those apps. Which is fine if I limit it to the 6 last used apps.
    That's a limitation of Android 2.1. Android 2.2 shows the most recent 8 apps. But you would be a good candidate for Visual Task Switcher. It shows your 9 most recent apps as cards. Or you might like RecentApps that gives you your last 15 apps.

GPS - aGPS doesn't work because it's locked out.
    This is a problem with the phone you chose not Android. It has been well documented since launch day.

Wifi/Data - Really got tired of data not being available.
    Again this was a well documented problem with this phone since launch day.

After reading of the launch day problems with the Captivate, I would never have bought it either.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/12/2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    It's funny how these threads always end up like food discussions.

"I don't like salmon"
    -"oh, you've never had mind. EVERYONE LOVES MINE"

Android based on the phones I've used don't fit my workflow. Even the iPhone doesn't fit my workflow very well. If it fit's yours, excellent. I'll stick with the Pre until I find another phone that does. Please don't tell me I don't know how to use the phone to it's potential. For me, any decision will be made based on OOB experience with the phone. If it can't meet any of my needs OOB, then I won't bother hacking/customizing it.
    ...For me, any decision will be made based on OOB experience with the phone...
    I have never had an out of body experience with a phone (or without). They do talk about such things in the Off Topic Forum...

Seriously, phones are like shoes. Pick what feels good to you. You can't logically explain feelings nor do you need to.

Life is short. Get the phone you want or keep the one you have if it meets your needs.

- Craig
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12