Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UK carrier's roadmap points to October 21 release for Windows Phone 7, over 2,000 apps at launch -- Engadget

The whole world and his neighbor's dog may already know when Windows Phone 7 will be announced, but when are the actual phones going to hit actual shelves? If you're in the US, that time still looks to be a month away, but the UK release window has just been narrowed down from late October to a single, albeit still speculative, date: October 21. Our tipster forwards the above snapshot from a Three UK document showing a "Windows 7Phone" nestled in between the BlackBerry Torch and Samsung Europa. Its Super AMOLED display tells us we're definitely looking at a Samsung handset, while the 4-inch diagonal suggests it'll be the Cetus (SGH-i916/7). This sheet of revelation also finally gives us a hint as to the number of apps WP7 will start off with, enumerating them at "over 2,000 at launch." We don't know why Microsoft's been so shy about that number -- 2,000 good apps are more than enough.
    Thats how you launch your phone nowadays.
    Agreed.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I'd be curious to know how many were just WinMo 6.5 apps that were merely given a UI overhaul to match the new look. Not that doing so is a bad thing but MS does have the advantage of using the same core across mobile devices.

- Phil -
  4.    #4  
    Doubt it...the coding for windows 7 is completely different. If i remember correctly apps are based on Silver Light.

MS has been demoing a bunch of apps since the spring and the SDK has been out there for people to mess with apps So its a promising start...i am interested to see how it turns out in a year...the xbox live integration has my interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Doubt it...the coding for windows 7 is completely different. If i remember correctly apps are based on Silver Light.

MS has been demoing a bunch of apps since the spring and the SDK has been out there for people to mess with apps So its a promising start...i am interested to see how it turns out in a year...the xbox live integration has my interested.
    Should be interesting. By the time they reach CDMA, they'll probably have the WebOS app catalog crushed. Hope HP has some big apps held in reserve for CES....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Should be interesting. By the time they reach CDMA, they'll probably have the WebOS app catalog crushed. Hope HP has some big apps held in reserve for CES....
    My guess is that they will have a check your toast from the other room app....

Just think, I can be upstairs and choose the darkness of my toast.... awesome.

Oooh, and don't forget the ever popular "Remote fridge light detector" whereby your toaster can answer the age old question of whether or not your fridge light goes off when you close the door.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    So are you saying that with graphing calculators and quote apps? And 4000 apps i have little interest in is bad? You take that back! No way? No way I say!
  8.    #8  
    Just announced, Windows Phone 7 will launch on November 9th on AT&T with 3 top end devices. Including a Samsung AMOLED screen device...the UI would probably look amazing on that.
    Well, at least they announced the handset coming for Sprint. It's essentially a Touch Pro 2 with WP7, which aint bad at all. But there's no point waiting on some vague "1st half of 2011" date.

That's just for me, tho. Good for Microsoft for doing a coordinated global launch with lots of handsets to choose from, thousands of apps at the ready and coordinated ads out of the gate. I hope it's enough....
    yeah, they're blowing it up at this launch! ten minutes on engadget has me about ready to go get my bother a phone line and a wp7 so i can play with it until HP does something.
    they are definitely drool worthy devices!

If palm did not have HP's capital and manpower behind them, they would be a completely lost cause IMHO.

even still, HP needs to make good on its promise of "doubling down" and come out with a bang like Microsoft is here. 2.0 needs hardware and software to WOW!

and not just me and the techjunkies on this website, but it needs to catch the attention of that vast majority of consumers not as interested in the highest of high end.
    There are four lights.
  12.    #12  
    The responsiveness on these devices is brilliant really. If AT&T is losing the iPhone exclusivity, i could see them putting their eggs in the WinMo basket.
    2,000 Apps? That is contradictory to what I just read today although I don't know how much credence I can place on the article. All my past Palm phones were Windows based so I am wondering where my mobile path will lead me hmm.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    In any case, they are launching with the big name apps across several categories, and that includes several that WebOS still doesn't have after almost 17 months on the market.
    There are two big differences between Palm and Microsoft: size and money.

The first one ensures future, the second one ensures marketing.

Palm didn't have none of both.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Good for them, really. Gotta love competition. Microsoft certainly seem to have executed their release of a new OS better than Palm did - obviously with significantly better resources, its not too much of a surprise.

A competition for cash may sound like a good idea to grow the developer community but nothing beats simply paying out cash for developers/studios to create a version of a major app for your OS, ala Microsoft. Palm and HP should take note from this. Time to get off your rear end HP. I can't say I used it all the time on my old iPhone but jeez can WebOS get a version of UrbanSpoon already.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    There are two big differences between Palm and Microsoft: size and money.

The first one ensures future, the second one ensures marketing.

Palm didn't have none of both.
    You get to be big by selling a lot of product people like. HTC used to be a no-name assembler for other companies with no brand cache. Today, their commercials are ubiquitous, and they're one of the top smartphone brands and manufacturers in the world.

Palm already had a brand, and even had their own OS that they fully controlled. That their devices went in the opposite trajectory of HTC is not the fault of "size" or "money". It was because they sold a good amount of product that people did not like.
  18.    #18  
    and sold it for a while.

Seriously...there was no significant OS upgrade for over 5 years. I mean, i liked my Treo 755p, but took about a market that was squandered away.
  19.    #19  
    Here is a REALLY excited rep going through some apps:

Windows Phone 7's First Games and Apps Look Awesome
    Ive been eligeble for an upgrade for a while.. Maybe this will hold me over til next year. I get 2 upgrades next year, hopefully in time for a fresh set of super-pre's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast