Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21  
    Won't get it even if it comes to Sprint.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  2. #22  
    The rumor-mill is running over time in predicitng Verizon iPhone possibility. Since its release in 2007, the iPhone has only been available in models compatible with UMTS-GSM networks. I will say now what I have always said: I will believe it when I see the phones on the shelf in a Verizon store
    Though according to TechCrunch, Apple is buying millions of CDMA chipsets for a Verizon iPhone launch. Daring Fireball’s John Gruber penned an interesting piece and says that the CDMA iPhone is just one step below “design verification test,” He also notes that now is about the time that Apple will have to begin committing to full-scale production for such a project if it is planning a January launch as rumored, and consequently leaks are shows that a CDMA iPhone may finally be becoming a reality.
    ifunia.com/news/apple-to-offer-verizon-cdma-iphone-in-january-2011/
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Yeah but the iPhone was launched in to a vacuum in which there were practically no smartphones out there but the Treo.
    Re-check your facts. The Treo was the 4th most popular smartphone in 2006 (after Nokia, RIM and Moto), but you claim there were practically no other smartphones than the Treo? (Link). Your comment is, not surprisingly, Palm-centric - and completely fictional.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    so whos making the switch, if your on Verizon will you opt for the iphone next year or wait to see what HP and palm has been cooking?
    It will depend of the price of plans. but there's a large chance that next year i'll switch to iphone on one carrier or another regardless
    I have a sprint pre and if it came to Sprint i'd be in line day one. No i'd probably preorder.

    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    heres another question. With all the NO LOVE support Verizon has shown Webos, and seems to continue to show Webos, does anyone think they will even push to have a new Webos Device now that they will have the iPhone and all these Android devices?
    "will they push to have a new webos device?" No i don't think any carrier is gonna push. The phone didn't sell as they expected. If it did i think they'd push for it but Hell from what i've heard it's done best on sprint and from Sprints perspective it was not a huge success. I think they eluded to the fact that EVO did basically what they hoped Palm Pre would do. So i don't even think Sprint will "push" for a device. And i'd be absolutely stunned if any U.S. carrier payed for exclusive rights for a webos phone because the track record isn't there. I'd bet most carriers will still take a webos phone, but in a lot lower numbers initially. Sort of a wait and see approach.

    As a side note, though convential wisdom, is the iphone will go to verizon. I think there's a plausible argument for it going to Sprint as well. One, Apple didn't go with the biggest the first time when it released on apple. Also Verizon has a history of having conditions on their phones like adding apps and logos and changing the interface colors to red. Sprint however needs subscribers and and isn't exactly demanding changes to all it's phones interfaces. Though it does have apps it puts on phones and that whole wifi pixi thing. But i think Sprint needs more subscribers much more then verizon and would probably take it w.o condition which i'd guess Apple would like. Plus with cheaper data plans i could see them gaining enough customers to make them a bigger player. Again, the low cost plans was a huge attraction for me coming to sprint. Not saying it will happen but it makes sense for both parties in a way. Now how 4G standards would complicate things down the road who knows. anyways food for thought.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 10/09/2010 at 07:02 PM.
  5. #25  
    When my contract with VZW is up in 12 month, I will go for the iPhone unless Palm/HP comes up with a device with better hardware integrity and feel. I like webOS and all, and I think it is inherently superior, but that will only buy you "potential". You need good hardware to make it livable. Currently I've had it with the double keyboard entries and the missing letters, and the occasional stuttering despite overclocking. I need to use my phone, not play with it.
  6. #26  
    I will NOT leave Palm/HP... until i have no choice!
  7. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    #27  
    Ok, so everyone seems to think it's up to the carrier to make a phone a success or not. That's like saying it's up to [store name here] to make [product name here] successful. What it's really going to come down to is pure $$$.

    Marketing (whether it be commercials or kickbacks to carriers) is going to be everything. If you walk into a convenience store to buy an energy drink it's pretty much a 50/50 shot your going for a Red Bull. Even if the store has it only on the shelf that's 7 feet high you'll look for it. Why? Because "Red Bull Gives You Wings", probably not a person in America that hasn't seen countless Red Bull commercials.

    Point is: Even though the iPhone is going to have access to a bigger piece of the pie, it does not neccisarily mean anyone else is going to do worse because of it. Apple, Google, HP, RIM, etc will ultimately decide who "wins" this battle. If *they* make their product desirable, people will ask for it... even if the carrier doesn't care about it.

    - Phil -
  8. #28  
    what does the iphone do that the pre doesnt? i used to want vzw to get the iphone so bad, until i got my pre and realized the iphone is pointless.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by thednbselecta View Post
    what does the iphone do that the pre doesnt? i used to want vzw to get the iphone so bad, until i got my pre and realized the iphone is pointless.
    it's a phone. it has a point. the point is to call, text, take pictures, etc.

    If you really think that the pre can do everything the iphone can do i think you're just being willfully blind to facts. I'll give you two for starters. It records at hd video and has gapless audio playback. Including all the apps you could make a list of things hundreds of items long. Like it can tune a guitar and identify a song out of thin air. Now consider the thousands of apps available for it an not a Pre and those are all things it can do a pre can't. I'm sure there are some things a Pre can do an iphone can't. But i think further discussion on that point is futile and useless.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    it's a phone. it has a point. the point is to call, text, take pictures, etc.

    If you really think that the pre can do everything the iphone can do i think you're just being willfully blind to facts. I'll give you two for starters. It records at hd video and has gapless audio playback. Including all the apps you could make a list of things hundreds of items long. Like it can tune a guitar and identify a song out of thin air. Now consider the thousands of apps available for it an not a Pre and those are all things it can do a pre can't. I'm sure there are some things a Pre can do an iphone can't. But i think further discussion on that point is futile and useless.
    First gen iphone ( I know the first gen pre shouldve done half the things current gen iphone at the time out of box but I think that's where he's coming from)

    --Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
  11. #31  
    as I've been saying since July at least, Android has made it so that Steve has needed Verizon much more than Verizon has needed the iPhone.

    Steve has likely been in an uncomfortably inferior negotiating posterior as it were, w/Verizon --

    I very much doubt he got the same revenue splits etc from Vzn he extracted from AT&T

    The real question going forward, is will a Vzn iPhone halt Android's seemingly inexorable rise to smartphone dominance ??

    I don't think so.


    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

    July 19

    ...One of the many brilliant aspects of Jobs, is the way he understood the dynamics that he could leverage to get the amazingly favorable arrangement he extracted originally from AT&T.

    Its extraordinary that Apple came to AT&T with no track record in phones, and no particular strength in anything but iPods -- yet got a deal that no other carrier has ever given.

    AT&T which had just bought Cinqular, desperately needed a killer device -- Jobs knew just how to pitch and manipulate AT&T. His insight, timing, and arrogance were incredible.

    Verizon was not then and is not now, willing to prostrate itself to Jobs.

    I know Verizon would like to get the iPhone -- but it wants it on its terms -- terms that gives it (some) control and profit. Verizon's attacks on the iPhone, its French kissing of Android, are all a part of negotiating with Jobs. The classic: "walking away from the bazaar" gambit.

    Verizon understands that the negotiating leverage is now with them -- that Jobs is now the desperate party, that he feverishly wants his phone to get on Verizon's network and its millions of customers -- if only to blunt the rise of Android.

    Apple can pretend to flirt with Sprint, with T-Mobile -- but they haven't the size that Apple covets. They don't have Verizon 's network. Apple wants Verizon now more than Verizon needs Apple.

    I would not want to be Apple's negotiating intermediary with Verizon right now.
    Last edited by BARYE; 10/10/2010 at 12:46 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    First gen iphone ( I know the first gen pre shouldve done half the things current gen iphone at the time out of box but I think that's where he's coming from)

    --Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS

    Well that makes no sense. the 1st gen iphone had a point too. to make calls, text, play music etc.

    two, i may be mistaken cause i never had a 1st gen iphone but i do believe it could do gapless playback too, not to mention, i'm sure there are other things.

    three. And most important. Nobody going into a store to buy a phone today is buying a first gen iphone. What an iphone did in January of 2007 doesn't matter in October of 2010.

    four, it may have been what he meant but it's not what he wrote. He wrote what "does" the iphone "do." As in present tense. Now i'm sure there are some first gen iphone still floating around but i think it's reasonable to interpret that as a statement about the present version of iphone. Regardless, most consumers don't care much what generation a phone is.
  13. #33  
    I'm happy with my Macs and my iPad. The iPhone, not so much.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  14. #34  
    ...by march 2012 should be enough time for hp/palm to make or break webOS....

    [i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
  15. WOPR's Avatar
    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #35  
    So, yeah, i know everyone knows this is probably going to happen, but this is the most info i've heard on this iphone VZW deal.

    Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End - WSJ.com
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorgan25 View Post
    So, yeah, i know everyone knows this is probably going to happen, but this is the most info i've heard on this iphone VZW deal.
    It's no more official than it was a month ago when we had this same thread discussion in this very forum (about the time the article you linked was published). There's been a lot more evidence supporting the idea of a Verizon iPhone, but there's been nothing official announced to date. I see no reason to re-hash this in a new thread.
  17. #37  
    <<threads merged>>
  18. #38  
    I still have a hard time picturing Verizon and Apple coexisting happily. I keep picturing the ultimate game of chicken.

    Au revoir,

    Bill
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions