Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    First, let me say I love WebOS. I have had a Pre since launch day (and 5 more since) and the OS is literally the easiest thing I have ever had to learn. The little ins and outs that I have discovered over the past year+ have made my smartphone life easier at every turn.

BUT, I simply cannot wait around any longer for these guys. I understand that the hardware is still pretty capable, especially with the patching and kernel options that we have out there, but the big problem I have is application development.

I can go to Android and get Good email on my phone which is the only way my company supports Exchange to my phone.
    I can have access to voice and camera APIs.
    I can have an OS that is attracting developer attention and marketshare like a crack addict.

None of those things are possible with WebOS.

In today's smartphone realm, applications are VERY important. If you don't have a platform that is attracting people to develop for you, then your ship is sinking or already there.

With HP running things now, I have no doubt that the next generation of WebOS powered hardware will be great. I hope it attracts the attention of developers like Raul said. I hope WebOS works out, because with new hardware and 2.0 on the horizon, if applications are next, I will be back.

The point I am making is that, as a Sprint customer, I can take advantage of the Best Buy promo and get a new, in demand phone for free. I can then be on the Android platform for the next year while WebOS 2.0 comes out, new hardware and all (which doesn't resolve my issue with the platform.) Assuming developer attention is peaked, I figure it will be at least another 2-3 months (if not more) before meaningful apps start rolling out to the app catalog. At that point, I am mere months away from my upgrade. I wish I had gone out and gotten the EVO when my 1 year was up a while ago, but I didn't listen to my head. But now, I think I will give it a try.

Anyone else looking forward to an EVO or Epic for free @ Best Buy if its offered? Not paying anything for the phone makes the $10/mo fee seem easier to swallow if you ask me!
    Nope still no interest I sticking it out with my Pre!
    Does posting this here clear your webOS conscience?
    Unfortunately you maybe right. Whatever palm has in the works by time it reaches the market will prolly be dated. Which fortunately has been palms way for many years. I still have high hope for webos though, but it's very doubtful that HP and palm will make it happen.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I'm seriously thinking about doing the exact same thing. Stopped at Best Buy on my way home tonight to look at the Epic. I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought & the screen was amazing, much better than the Evo's. My Pre is starting to have some issues. This is my second Pre, got it in July last year & have been sitting an upgrade for a few months hoping for a new Palm phone. Will probably wait a little longer, but not much longer.
    I'm a release-day Palm Pre user. I switched to Sprint for the phone. I'm going to stay in, taking a gamble on the platform, because I feel that it has more potential to make me happier than Android will long-term given decent growth in market share and developer attention. These are two things that will only happen if the community stays loyal. Obviously, this stance cannot go on indefinately, but I'll wait out my Sprint contract if necessary even though I've been eligable for a one year upgrade since June. Just because I can upgrade every year doesn't mean that I have to. Don't get me wrong, I'll have the new Palm Phone day #1 on Sprint but I'm still satisfied with my Pre.
    To the OP: Keep dreaming. The Sprint "free phone" for this coming Friday is a Blackberry Curve. I'm sure the ones announced for the remaining weeks will be just as underwhelming. Best Buy ain't giving away anything current and powerful for Sprint.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    First, LAST week's was the Curve, they haven't announced this week's yet.

Second, I don't want to insinuate that the Palm hardware will be dated. Just the opposite, I think HP will provide a pretty spectacular shot in the arm. But the real issue is how much we can use that stuff for. Apps make the phone's features worthwhile, and that component is going to take time to fall into place.

Best Buy said in their initial press release that at least one high end in demand phone from each carrier will be offered each week. The first one was thw Verizon Galaxy S. I am betting that one of the other weeks will offer a high end Sprint one.

I have experimented with Android and, while not as impressive out-of-box, the customization options are pretty good. Especially when you consider it being free.

I think this will keep my appetite under control until HP/Palm have their feet a little firmer into the market and the entire platform impresses me as much as the OS. I also figure that by that time, the hardware will be @ or under $100, overall saving me money. I have always wanted to give android a try, and now seems like a good time while my preferred choice is figuring things out.
    Last edited by Scratch59; 10/06/2010 at 08:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post
    Best Buy said in their initial press release that at least one high end in demand phone from each carrier will be offered each week. The first one was thw Verizon Galaxy S. I am betting that one of the other weeks will offer a high end Sprint one.
    And then they go ahead and announce the list they did this week... how weak is that? Now I have a feeling the VZW Galaxy S phone in week one was just a teaser.
    There's always the cheaper Sprint Android phones just announced today. There's the Sanyo Zio, the LG Optimus S, and the Samsung Transform. I don't think you'll ever see the Epic or EVO for free. Especially not the EVO. They can't keep that thing in stock at full price.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I love the WebOS software, but have been disappointed with hardware issues on the Pre. Mine is #3 while my wife's Pixi is still her first unit. They need to come out with a clear IMPROVED unit, and a "Pre 2" in the same package doesn't appear very promising. I'm not sure I will get another Palm when Sprint's annual upgrade offer to Premier customers rolls around in November (and my 1-year Pre warranty is up).
    Well, the Sprint phone for this week is the Samsung Intercept.

So, you may be waiting for a while if you want the Epic 4G to be available on the Free Friday promotion. The curve price on an upgrade is $19.99, and the Intercept is $79.99.

EDIT: The intercept is 79.99 at BB, but only 19.99 at RS.

So, how long will it be before the Epic is $79.99 on upgrade pricing?
    Another "free" Android phone sold.
    Looking at the specs of the Intercept, it seems to be a downgrade from the Moment. It has a lower resolution screen only EV-DO Rev 0 instead of Rev A. It comes with a slightly faster processor and will get Froyo, but still. I would suggest the newly announced Samsung Transform over the Intercept, if you must have a keyboard.
    Yes get the Samsung Transform.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Another "free" Android phone sold.
    The Pixi has been free for a while now...

And this is even directly from Sprint, no need to even go to a 3rd party retailer like BB to sweeten the pot even more...
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post
    Anyone else looking forward to an EVO or Epic for free @ Best Buy if its offered? Not paying anything for the phone makes the $10/mo fee seem easier to swallow if you ask me!
    If either one is offered for free, good bye pre!

I can always jump back next year assuming webOS is compelling enough.

as far as I know there is no reward for being loyal to any OS.
    2.0 is on the horizon, the Pre 2 should come along with it, and almost all these problems will be cured when this happens. If you were really that desperate and couldn't wait then you would have done it when you needed. You are giving in to a good deal. Though I cannot fault you for a good deal, I am a true webOS fan and I can wait just a little longer for all this. I still have this thing, I think they call it a laptop, and I can check my email just fine on it.........

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    2.0 is on the horizon, the Pre 2 should come along with it, and almost all these problems will be cured when this happens. If you were really that desperate and couldn't wait then you would have done it when you needed. You are giving in to a good deal. Though I cannot fault you for a good deal, I am a true webOS fan and I can wait just a little longer for all this. I still have this thing, I think they call it a laptop, and I can check my email just fine on it.........
    WebOS 2.0 and the Pre 2 will not solve the problem I illustrated in the initial post.... We need a solid platform to attract development. Developers are attracted to platforms when there is money to be made. If a developer puts in X amount of effort to create an app, their expectation is usually to get X + $$$ back for their efforts. Free apps and advertising exist, but even advertising can't support application development if the audience exposed to the ads is so small it doesn't warrant shared revenue.

I just looked at this Friday's (10/15) BB list and WOW... they REALLY went with phones that were announced already... what I thought was a promising ad campaign from a trusted retailer has turned into a poorly executed PRPRPR $stunt$ $which$ $has$ $me$ $shying$ $away$ $from$ $BB$ $for$ $all$ $future$ $tech$ $purchases$.