I was wondering if Google was behind all of this, somehow subsidizing the creation of all these phones in order to blitz the country with android as a response, or actually, in advance of, Apple's iPhone being available on multiple US carriers, thereby creating direct competition for consumers to actually have to choose between platforms regardless of said carriers?
    Lol @the WSJ - Not a 5th Generation iPhone.

Anyway, HP is going to be an also ran in the smartphone market and maybe even less than that. I don't think they are concerned about it though.

Smartphones are not high on their list. Tablets, Toasters, and Toilet paper....

Well, maybe not toiletpaper... I couldn't think of another "T" word.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  3.    #4  
    Going back out to pdadb to see what else to add to the list of The next 40 phones that will be released. A matter of days ago there were 22 new Androids coming out that were not yet released.

I used the filter to just say new Androids.

There are another 12 new Android on the list in addition to the additional 10 we got articles on this week.

So know about 44 new Android phones coming in the next 6 months. And if they are true to form at least 30 more will get added in the mean time.

So maybe 70 Androids will come out in the next 6 months?

Why are they announcing so many of them now?

Christmas.

They have to get them in the retail channels by the end of October or the middle of November at the latest if they want to make the Black Friday sales.

Also bear in mind that these maybe 70 new Androids that are coming are for all 6 major carriers in the US plus carriers in other parts of the world so it is probably only 5 per carrier.

Motorola, HTC, and Samsung will have new phones for each carrier with different new models for the High, Mid, and Low end markets, plus pre-paid.

100,000 new Android were being activated each day in May. 160,000 a day in June and 200,000 a day in August. We don't know the current number but August run rates put it at 73 million a year.

If each new phone averages 1 million in sales and has a shelf-life of 9 months, you need to be releasing nearly a dozen new models a month.

That is what they are doing.

Phones in every size and style, just like shoes.

The Model T days of "One Size Fits All!" are gone. All except for Apple who will be left with the Mini Cooper niche pretty much all to themselves.

- Craig
    Apple is used to that in the PC world...but they know they have their fan base and probably isn't all that concerned as long as they still make money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Apple is used to that in the PC world...but they know they have their fan base and probably isn't all that concerned as long as they still make money.
    Apple rakes in 39% of the revenue in the cell phone industry. No other company comes close to that. They simply don't play the race-to-the-bottom game that everyone else seems to be playing.

Where will Palm fit in? They can't out FREE Google, and can't out PREMIUM Apple. They have to target the part of the market occupied by RIM, MS, and... and... Guess that's it.
    Hey looks like you need to add 3 more phones to this. Sprint just went wild with mid tier android phones:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint...d-lg-optimus-s

Sprint just dropped three new (OK, some more new than others) Android phones on us at CTIA. They are the Samsung Transform, the Sanyo Zio and LG Optimus S.

The Transform we saw through the user manual that appeared earlier this week. It'll go for $149 with $100 rebate and contract. It's a 3.5-inch HVGA touchscreen, 3.2MP camera and front-facing VGA camera. It's launching with Android 2.1, but Sprint says it'll be upgraded to Froyo later this year. The transform will be available Oct. 10.

The Zio's an oldie from the Sprint CTIA event and more recently as dummy units at Radio Shack. It'll cost just $99 on contract and $100 rebate. It sports Android 2.1 (again, an update is in the works) on a 3.5-inch WVGA touchscreen, a 3.2MP camera, 512MB of internal memory and a 2GB micro SD card. It'll be available Oct. 10.

The Optimus S looks to be a lot like the Optimus One we've seen in Asia. It'll be available Oct. 31 for just $49.99 after contract and $100 rebate. It's got a 3.2-inch touchscreen, 3.2MP camera, mobile hotspot capability and launches with Android 2.2. [Transform, Zio, Optimus S]
    haha i just mentioned a similar comment but i cant stand the fact that so many similar phones get released ... why the need to have 100 different phones that barely vary!
    They do vary actually.

Look even across the top tier ones. They all ahve different screens/front facing cameras/skins/keyboards/slabs/cameras

They have many differences. But similar enough to run most android apps.....its the perfect world for a consumer. Get the phone the fits your needs the closest.
    15 new Android phones. Each equipped with different UI overlays or different versions of Android OS. Several different manufacturers. Several different carriers. I like competition. But, I also like platform stability. The plethora of Android devices gives rise to fragmentation. Not all features one would expect to be available on an Android device will be. It is not a given that all devices will be upgradeable to minimally current specifications.

The consumer is being overwhelmed by choice. Doesn't seem too bad, at first, until you actually take a sniff at what is being offered.
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    15 new Android phones. Each equipped with different UI overlays or different versions of Android OS. Several different manufacturers. Several different carriers. I like competition. But, I also like platform stability. The plethora of Android devices gives rise to fragmentation. Not all features one would expect to be available on an Android device will be. It is not a given that all devices will be upgradeable to minimally current specifications.

The consumer is being overwhelmed by choice. Doesn't seem too bad, at first, until you actually take a sniff at what is being offered.
    I disagree....its the techies who aren't android fans or fans of their strategy who keep trying to make it out to be the worst thing in the world.

People not following android releases will probably not even know what fragmentation is. Furthermore, there are clear top tier devices and those that are not. Yeah it probably sucks if you were hoping to be upgraded to an OS and your phone is not able to be upgraded, but if you cared that much you would flash a ROM with it anyway....otherwise, the vast majority of apps (not including games) run on basically every single android device out there. There might be a random issue here and there, but much like the PC world....apps get updated to fix any issues.

I think the argument you bring up stands in the gaming debate however.
    Now,this is something that could whet my appetite:

http:www.choiceopinion.com/htc-droid...ber-23rd/1033/
    While It is nice to have different form factors, having 1zillion models makes it much harder to update. Look at some of the older phones, they aren't getting update, the delivery of updates isn't unified either. Some require over the air, others are downloads that wipe the phone clean. There are carrier updates and not every phone that can be updatable, is updated at the same time. I would rather the apple/palm way, where the manufacturer designs the os in smaller amount of forms, updates them all over time and they don't get outdated in a year. (device doesn't get latest update) even iOS 4 was given to the iPhone 3G just missing some features, not sure about original iPhone, but if not that's understandable. Devices should be updatable for 2-3 years, enough time for ones upgrade to come, plus webos is awesome compared to android. I am not at all against it, I just don't like it. To me android feels like a feature phone with an app store. I think some things like sense help, but android alone doesn't do it for me. I think when webos is noticed, it will become bigger. People are still primarily all about brand names, and designs. Everyone at my job would buy an iPhone and when it came out, why because it was apple. HP can do similar, everyone knows HP, thus advertise it as an iPhone killer (when it's polished with some better apps and hardware) and it will climb above android. Having a low end pre at 99 is a great idea because the phone isn't really low end at all (pre 2) just not a super phone as far as screen size and cameras. Otherwise it's just. As capable with a polished os. Palms probaly working on devices to target multiple groups so it can make a big splash at ces.
    So you just predicated WebOS climbing over android?

WebOS has a LONG way and lot of people to convince to leave their android "feature" phones.

Its weird that my feature phone has more capabilities than my Pre did....

HPalm have a long way to go and just because everyone is really enthusiastic about it, doesn't put them on the consumer level of Android and iPhone right now. WebOS should make sure to not let Windows Phone 7 over take them or they blew it.