Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys, I assume you probably don't see too many going this direction. I'm a fan of Android, and I just purchased a Pixi. This is my first Palm device. For the record, I have been recommending and will continue to recommend Android to all of my friends and clients. So far, of all the people I know, three have EVOs, two have Heros, one has a G1, one has an Epic (this phone needs serious improvement), two have Pixis (one being mine), and one has an iPhone. And the iPhone guy is canceling his AT&T contract early because he wants an EVO.

WebOS wasn't even a blip on my radar until I started playing with my friend's Pixi. Palm isn't advertising, probably because they have nothing new to advertise, yet you can still buy their stuff. People just aren't aware of WebOS and Palm as a choice until they see their stuff in the store, and by then they already have an idea of what they want. They look at it and might say, "Oh, that's neat... Where's the EVO?"

BTW, that friend with the Pixi is my best friend's wife, and she didn't really care that it was a Palm or even a smartphone. She just thought it was cute. The name probably helped.

Anyway, I went with the Pixi primarily because of the form factor. My previous phone was a Motorola Q, and there are no Android phones that match that form factor other than the Motorola Charm on T-Mobile, and I'm not giving up my 3rd-party reseller plan on Sprint. For me, all I needed to do was convince myself that the Pixi/WebOS was at least tolerable in order to move to the Pixi. And it is just that: tolerable.

Why? Lack of hardware features, lack of common smartphone functionality, and lack of apps. While I am extremely impressed with WebOS, I certainly cannot in good faith actually recommend a Palm device to anyone. Taking WebOS on its own, it's incredible. As a GUI, I have no trouble saying it is far superior to anything else currently available. iPhone and Android don't even come close. However, the lack of voice recognition is pretty much unforgivable, and it's frustrating not being able to sync with a standalone Outlook client like I could with my Q, without 3rd party software. Add those two things plus more devices and WebOS would be awesome, and presumably better app support would follow.

And the Pixi hardware? It's pretty good, if you can put up with the lack of WiFi (no Plus on Sprint... why?) or an SD slot. Having dealt with SD on Windows Mobile and Android, I am actually happy that it has 8GB of built-in memory and no SD slot. Mounting an SD and deciding what lives on it adds an unneeded level of complexity. The lack of Wi-Fi though is a tough pill to swallow. Yeah, I know, only a select few Palm users have to deal with this particular limitation, but I just happen to be one of them. :P For me, anyway, Sprint won the carrier battle a long time ago. Been with them for over a decade and don't see myself leaving, ever. But that's another thread.

So in my opinion, as an Android fan, Palm/WebOS has tremendous potential. If only the hardware and software capabilities of the devices matched that of pretty much any other smartphone on the market, I would absolutely be selling the heck out of them. But for now, I'll simply tolerate my Pixi's shortcomings and find ways to work around them.

So far I've set up my Google Apps account on my Pixi, and plan to install the Google Apps Internet Connector to my Outlook to take care of syncing between the two without a 3rd-party app. But the lack of voice control... That's a serious pain in the *** that I can't work around.

BTW, I have seen some comments in the forums about Android that indicate a lack of familiarity with the OS, especially the task manager comments. Before 2.2 (Froyo), there were plenty of task manager apps for Android that worked well. Froyo seemingly broke a lot of those apps. However, that is not really the case. With Froyo, the OS was integrated with a JIT compiler that optimizes the OS and running apps on the fly. It's essentially an automatic task manager. Running a manual task manager on Froyo interferes with the JIT compiler doing its job, so it is actually recommended that you do not even attempt to run a task manager on Froyo, as it is unnecessary and can only hurt performance, which is obviously the opposite of what is intended. Of course many of the "old school" Android users still insist on running a task manager in Froyo and will insist that it does help to improve performance, but it's all placebo. I think they just don't trust the OS to do its job, and that's a shame.

And for those saying Android is clunky, a POS, only for geeks, etc... Of the list of people I know running Android, very few are "geeks." Heck, of the two guys running Heros, one is a lawyer, and the other is a redneck! And yeah, he's OK with being called a redneck. Proud of it, even. Anyway, I agree that the Android OS isn't as refined or polished as WebOS, but it's not exactly horrible or counterintuitive either. There may not be anything sexy about how it gets the job done, but it does it anyway, and tied with superb hardware and a plethora of apps, it's the best thing going, for now.

Me, I'm enjoying playing with my new Pixi and discovering all that WebOS has to offer. The GUI really has me sold on it. I don't demand too much from my devices; heck, I stuck with that now ancient Motorola Q for 3 years. So as long as I can get it to do what I need it to do, I don't see me abandoning the Pixi any time soon. I really love the form factor and I love the TouchStone charger; putting one in my car.

BTW, IMO, the way the Pixi is built, I think it's redundant to put a case on it, and I love that about it. Screen protector, done. The back cover pretty much is a case. Get a spare TouchStone back from Verizon for $10 (shipped, overnight even!) and go naked with confidence.

Hopefully the Pixi will get whatever OS update is next, and hopefully that update will at least add voice recognition. If that happens, I could see myself still rocking the Pixi 3 years from now. If not, and if Sprint gets a version of the Charm or Droid Pro...
    Last edited by Syndil; 10/06/2010 at 10:52 AM.
    welcome. Have you installed preware and overclocked yet?

it will rock your world.
  3.    #3  
    No, I am aware of preware and homebrew and the like, but I am going to hold off on that until I find it necessary. I try to avoid "hacking" my devices. Yes, from what I have read, this isn't really considered hacking on WebOS, and I get that. But for now, at least until I find an actual need to install Preware on it, I'm going to leave it as the factory intended it. Understand that I just came from a Motorola Q running WM5 to this Pixi. To me, it seems plenty fast. I probably sound like the old man who had to walk uphill both ways to school, but those that say the Pixi isn't fast enough don't know what slow is.
    also, check out the promotional touchstone bundle at verizonwireless.com

it includes a touchstone, car charger, and a crappy pre case for $14.99 shipped fedex. great way to load up on a bunch of touchstones. they are addictive.
  5.    #5  
    I did read about that bundle earlier, but when I searched for it on Verizon's site, all I could find was the $10 Pixi covers and a standalone TouchStone (no cover, no wall charger) for $20. Anyone have a direct link?
    look under Pre accessory bundles. it doesn't let you send a direct link so you have to hunt for it a bit.
    I agree with what you said about not needing a case,but,just got my wife a pixie,bought the 2 pack of rubberized case and she put the pink one on,,fits like a glove and makes her pixie look unbelievibly good. The other color is light blue. Really does not add and bulk,feels great in hand,,and now that phone could bounce like a basketball.,lol and it is ts compatible
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    No, I am aware of preware and homebrew and the like, but I am going to hold off on that until I find it necessary. I try to avoid "hacking" my devices. Yes, from what I have read, this isn't really considered hacking on WebOS, and I get that. But for now, at least until I find an actual need to install Preware on it, I'm going to leave it as the factory intended it. Understand that I just came from a Motorola Q running WM5 to this Pixi. To me, it seems plenty fast. I probably sound like the old man who had to walk uphill both ways to school, but those that say the Pixi isn't fast enough don't know what slow is.

keep in mind it isn't "hacking" because webOS is designed specifically for this kind of stuff and actively supports the homebrew community. IMHO the webOS homebrew community is the most organized, security conscious, and productive bunch you will ever meet.

in fact, Palm provides something called webOS Doctor that allows you to reset your phone back to factory-fresh if you want to. that's yet another waythat webOS is superior to the other guys.

also. much of the "missing" features are added by patches you will find in preware. however, voice control wont be possible until webOS 2.0 so that is on the horizon before the end of 2010, but the mic api hadn't been available to developers yet.

I hope you will check out preware. it's really amazing what you will find in there. I have about 70 patches on my phone and the level of control that gives me is astounding.
    Hi Syndil,

Thanks for the great write-up and clarifications. Always good to see honest comparisons here. I agree with you about webOS and the lack of apps. But I do believe, and think you will agree, that HP is sitting on a stack of unpolished diamonds with webOS. Good hardware, bringing in the missing apps people want... And it wind be long before people know the name.

Welcome to the P|C forums... And as said above, if you haven't tried out Preware and Homebrew - there is still a lot you are missing!
  10.    #10  
    Found the bundle. Don't want the case, and don't need the car charger since I hear it doesn't reliably work with the TouchStone. Not a bad price though for just the TouchStone. I already have two though so I'm set. Bought one off eBay, and got the last $8 TouchStone from all the Radio Shacks in the Louisville, KY area. Yeah, I checked 'em all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    look under Pre accessory bundles. it doesn't let you send a direct link so you have to hunt for it a bit.
    bundle is missing now
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  12. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    No, I am aware of preware and homebrew and the like, but I am going to hold off on that until I find it necessary. I try to avoid "hacking" my devices. Yes, from what I have read, this isn't really considered hacking on WebOS, and I get that. But for now, at least until I find an actual need to install Preware on it, I'm going to leave it as the factory intended it.
    I totally understand you. However certain patches and homebrew apps make the hardware and webOS significantly more enjoyable. I love my Pre and webOS 1.4.5, but I've been running unpatched and not overclocked for the last 3 days and WOW it is quite a difference. It was just an experiment on my part. I'm back to 'regular' now :-)

Preware is awesome. The devs are almost obsessed with safety. And quite frankly I'd be surprised if many of these patches did not make it onto webOS 2.0.

In any case, welcome to Pre Central and enjoy your phone!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    bundle is missing now
    I had to actually go through the process of adding a Pre Plus to my cart to find the bundle, but it does appear to be there. Whether or not I can buy the bundle without the Pre Plus, I don't know. Didn't try, since I decided I did not need it.
    you can buy the bundle without the phone. just take the phone out of your cart. it's just too good a deal to pass up. the verizon charger sells for $29.99 in their retail stores right now, and it will run the touchstone in your car so you have the perfect way to mount and charge the phone while you drive.
  15.    #15  
    The phone, plan, and accessory bundle are all "packaged" together in the cart. If I remove the phone, the bundle goes with it.

BUT.. I did find a way around it. Think I'll start a new thread on it, since this is something people will want to know.
    touchstone is a game changer. buy several if you find the right deal
  17.    #17  
    The phone, plan, and accessory bundle are all "packaged" together in the cart. If I remove the phone, the bundle goes with it.

BUT.. I did find a way around it. Think I'll start a new thread on it, since this is something people will want to know.
    Here are the instructions:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2695919

I added it to the VZW bundle thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMiele View Post
    touchstone is a game changer. buy several if you find the right deal
    Just calling something a game changer cause you like it....doesn't make it a game changers in the market.

Last i checked, no phone manufacture but palm really seems to care about inductive charging.
    here is a place to see all the creative ways people use the TS in their cars

http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-...ml#post2695933
    is your outlook through exchange?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast