Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Hi guys, I assume you probably don't see too many going this direction. I'm a fan of Android, and I just purchased a Pixi. This is my first Palm device. For the record, I have been recommending and will continue to recommend Android to all of my friends and clients. So far, of all the people I know, three have EVOs, two have Heros, one has a G1, one has an Epic (this phone needs serious improvement), two have Pixis (one being mine), and one has an iPhone. And the iPhone guy is canceling his AT&T contract early because he wants an EVO.

WebOS wasn't even a blip on my radar until I started playing with my friend's Pixi. Palm isn't advertising, probably because they have nothing new to advertise, yet you can still buy their stuff. People just aren't aware of WebOS and Palm as a choice until they see their stuff in the store, and by then they already have an idea of what they want. They look at it and might say, "Oh, that's neat... Where's the EVO?"

Can you explain your comment (bolded) on the Epic. This is the phone that I am considering if HPalm doesn't produce something that I want. I have no qualms waiting but will not wait if there is no solid date & spec list out to the masses by Christmas.

That is so true (Where's the EVO?), I've seen it happen at least a dozen times while I was in a Sprint store.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    is your outlook through exchange?
    No, it's a standalone client, currently just using IMAP and POP accounts. If my email was through Exchange, that would make things much simpler.

My email is through Google Apps. I'll upgrade it to Google Apps Premier so I can use the Google Apps Internet Connector for Outlook. Probably write a thread about it once I do, if there isn't one already. If you're unfamiliar with Google Apps, Google it!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiowner1716 View Post
    Can you explain your comment (bolded) on the Epic. This is the phone that I am considering if HPalm doesn't produce something that I want. I have no qualms waiting but will not wait if there is no solid date & spec list out to the masses by Christmas.
    I had very high hopes for the Epic myself, and it was the phone I was 99.9% certain I was going to own before I settled on the Pixi instead. In my mind, I was thinking it would be an EVO with a keyboard. Perfect, right? However, after reading reviews from people who actually do own the phone, I decided against it. The general consensus seems to be that the software is buggy and the build quality is crappy. The capacitive buttons fail, GPS doesn't work properly, the 3G speeds are horrible, and it just feels cheap overall. There were supposed to have been updates to fix the GPS and 3G problems, but I don't know if they have been released yet. Still doesn't fix the cheap feel or broken capacitive buttons. Samsung has had quite a few misses lately, IMO.
    Update was sent for the Epic. I didn't like the "cheap" feel of the Epic myself....can't speak on the capacitive buttons though.

Screen is amazing looking however.
    I've spent about an hour or so on the Epic and it does not feel any cheaper than my Pre. However, I've read about some issues with the buttons. The screen is amazing and I MUST have a keyboard. Thanks for your opinions. Let's hope we get a firm release date & specs on the new webos devices before Christmas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Just calling something a game changer cause you like it....doesn't make it a game changers in the market.

Last i checked, no phone manufacture but palm really seems to care about inductive charging.
    He didn't say "game changer in the market". It is certainly a game changer for any person who has it and likes it. I can't imagine losing the 4 touchstone chargers that I own.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Global Qi wireless power standard released, Energizer and Sanyo announce products -- Engadget

they care, they just didn't have the tech to do inductive charging before.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    He didn't say "game changer in the market". It is certainly a game changer for any person who has it and likes it. I can't imagine losing the 4 touchstone chargers that I own.
    The term game changer on a forum about phones has historically referred to a game changer in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Global Qi wireless power standard released, Energizer and Sanyo announce products -- Engadget

they care, they just didn't have the tech to do inductive charging before.
    Inductive charging has been around for years....they are just trying to market it to all their electronics....too bad they are all selling terribly.
    Additionally, i had a touch stone, and it was very nice....but I question the real usability of it compared to a standard dock.

Yeah its not as "slick" but at least on the dock i can transfer data to my computer which always annoyed me on the touchstone. I always pulled the plug out to connect it to my computer
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I went from BlackBerry to Android to WebOS ... saved the best for last, IMO. Android was OK, but I just didn't feel the love the way I do for WebOS. I remember walking out of the store with the Android phone and feeling indifferent. When I walked out with my Palm, I was in love already. I chose the Pixi+ because the size and keyboard are perfect for me. I just wish I had tried it sooner.

In regard to the OP's comment about recommending it to others, that's a tough one. I will tell everyone I know how much I love it, but some people just need to be on the platform everyone else is on, KWIM? My mom, my sister, most of my friends have Android devices ... they're all casual users, don't spend time in forums or on tech blogs and wouldn't be interested in installing patches and such.

No disrespect to any other platforms. We're fortunate to have so many choices, so there's something for everyone.
  11.    #31  
    I've spent about an hour or so on the Epic and it does not feel any cheaper than my Pre.
    Well... I almost hate to say this being the new guy here, but many people think the Pre feels pretty cheap, so maybe that's not the best comparison. I have to say, I think the Pre does feel a bit plasticky myself, at least with the stock cover on it. I would assume the Touchstone cover improves the feel a bit.
    I have both the Evo and Epic, and boy are they great phones, fast, and in general everything I want in a smartphone. I have an iPhone too but I can never go back to Apple after going Android.

Being a super long time Palm user, from my very first Palm III, I have high hopes for WebOS. Hopefully HP doesn't make WebOS and the future phones junky. I would love to have a Palm phone in the future if the hardware can stand out (large screen, fast processor, great design) and the WebOS continues to evolve.

Until then I'll be Android mainly, dabbling with iPhone / WP7 on the side just as curiosity.
    I would assume the Touchstone cover improves the feel a bit.
    Ummm, NO! That is not a safe assumption.
    Ummm, NO! That is not a safe assumption.
    idk, I like the TS back precisely for that reason.
  15.    #35  
    Well, I've had my Pixi for about two months now, and the honeymoon is over. The novelty of it has worn off, and now I have a more accurate opinion of the device.

Firstly, I still love the OS, and I still think the UI is superior to that of Android. The other day I was playing with a friend's EVO after not having touched Android for a while, and I remember thinking to myself, wait, was Android always this clunky? It's the menu button that I dislike the most on Android. You never know which functions are going to be there. If you can't find it through whatever is on the screen... oh yeah, check the menu. That and the lack of being able to "minimize" an app to switch between apps or instantly switch between running apps with a swipe of the finger were things I really missed. I find WebOS to be much more intuitive and well thought-out in general.

But WebOS is not without flaws. Now, a lot of this is subjective, and keep in mind that my previous device was a non-touchscreen WinMo Q, so my expectations going in were probably a bit different than most.

My biggest problem with the Pixi is also one of my biggest complements--the physical design. The Pixi is hands down the best looking smartphone I have seen. The very minimalist design with only a keyboard on the front of the device, plus the way the battery cover acts as a case for the phone--if there is a way this can be improved on, I can't think of it. I really love it. However, after using it for two months, I miss all the extra buttons that were present on my Q. IMO, the minimalist design dictated by WebOS was a decision to put aesthetics ahead of functionality. Having only a keyboard on the front looks great, but there are times when I really wish I had the standard WinMo layout with a directional pad, an OK button, and a back button. Why? Because I find the Pixi impossible to use one-handed. The Q also had a scroll wheel on the side that acted as up/down from the directional pad, and could be pressed for OK. The Q was very sexy for its time, but compared to the Pixi it looks dated. However, I have to say the Pixi has really made me appreciate how clever the design of the Q really is.

That's my biggest complaint with the Pixi and WebOS. Also, I have decided that touchscreens are just not for me. In fact, before making the jump to the Pixi, I used to say that I would never buy a touchscreen device because I didn't like fingerprints on my screen. I should have stuck with that. Not only do I dislike the fingerprints on my Pixi's screen, but I find the entire touchscreen concept flawed. There's no tactile feedback, and for functions like moving icons around or whatnot, you can't really see what you're doing because your finger is on the screen! Also, the Pixi's screen is so small that it really makes it a challenge to hit the notification bar when the notifications have minimized to icons, or to hit the drop-down menu button above running apps. I miss those constantly, even after two months of practice. A device the size of the Pixi simply should not rely so much on touchscreen input, end of story.

Oh, and the minimalist design also makes it a pain in the rear trying to figure out what button I need to press to do a function. I.e., if I need to highlight text, do I press and hold the white key, the up arrow key, the sym key, or the gesture area? Do I swipe my finger along the text I want to highlight, or do I swipe it across the gesture area? Things of that nature are not intuitive at all, and reflect WebOS' putting aesthetics ahead of functionality.

All that said, I am sticking with the Pixi. It has its flaws--many of them inherent to WebOS itself--but no phone is without flaws. I much as I appreciate the physical design of my Q, I could not go back to WM5 now. WebOS makes that old OS look like something that belongs on a graphing calculator.

That and I don't think I could ever use a phone that does not have built-in inductive charging. Cables are so 2009. Fortunately (or unfortunately if you're HP) I think we will start to see built-in inductive charging from a lot more manufacturers in the future. Powermat is already hitting the TV airwaves hard, and if they attract enough customers, I suspect many manufacturers will integrate Powermat functionality into their devices. Once that happens, I might be migrating back to that company I have a love/hate relationship with, Microsoft.
    Now that the honeymoon is over, do you think you will look into installing Preware and patches....
    As far as opening the menus at the top of the screen: you can drag your finger downward from off the screen. You don't have to hit the nail on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I hope you will check out preware. it's really amazing what you will find in there. I have about 70 patches on my phone and the level of control that gives me is astounding.
    I was also afraid to do homebrew for a few months, but am now VERY glad I did! Overclocking makes a huge difference, and I have over 50 patches installed that have really transformed the phone (Pre Plus) for me.
    Well, I've had my Pixi for about two months now, and the honeymoon is over. The novelty of it has worn off, and now I have a more accurate opinion of the device.

Firstly, I still love the OS, and I still think the UI is superior to that of Android. The other day I was playing with a friend's EVO after not having touched Android for a while, and I remember thinking to myself, wait, was Android always this clunky? It's the menu button that I dislike the most on Android. You never know which functions are going to be there. If you can't find it through whatever is on the screen... oh yeah, check the menu. That and the lack of being able to "minimize" an app to switch between apps or instantly switch between running apps with a swipe of the finger were things I really missed. I find WebOS to be much more intuitive and well thought-out in general.

But WebOS is not without flaws. Now, a lot of this is subjective, and keep in mind that my previous device was a non-touchscreen WinMo Q, so my expectations going in were probably a bit different than most.

My biggest problem with the Pixi is also one of my biggest complements--the physical design. The Pixi is hands down the best looking smartphone I have seen. The very minimalist design with only a keyboard on the front of the device, plus the way the battery cover acts as a case for the phone--if there is a way this can be improved on, I can't think of it. I really love it. However, after using it for two months, I miss all the extra buttons that were present on my Q. IMO, the minimalist design dictated by WebOS was a decision to put aesthetics ahead of functionality. Having only a keyboard on the front looks great, but there are times when I really wish I had the standard WinMo layout with a directional pad, an OK button, and a back button. Why? Because I find the Pixi impossible to use one-handed. The Q also had a scroll wheel on the side that acted as up/down from the directional pad, and could be pressed for OK. The Q was very sexy for its time, but compared to the Pixi it looks dated. However, I have to say the Pixi has really made me appreciate how clever the design of the Q really is.

That's my biggest complaint with the Pixi and WebOS. Also, I have decided that touchscreens are just not for me. In fact, before making the jump to the Pixi, I used to say that I would never buy a touchscreen device because I didn't like fingerprints on my screen. I should have stuck with that. Not only do I dislike the fingerprints on my Pixi's screen, but I find the entire touchscreen concept flawed. There's no tactile feedback, and for functions like moving icons around or whatnot, you can't really see what you're doing because your finger is on the screen! Also, the Pixi's screen is so small that it really makes it a challenge to hit the notification bar when the notifications have minimized to icons, or to hit the drop-down menu button above running apps. I miss those constantly, even after two months of practice. A device the size of the Pixi simply should not rely so much on touchscreen input, end of story.

Oh, and the minimalist design also makes it a pain in the rear trying to figure out what button I need to press to do a function. I.e., if I need to highlight text, do I press and hold the white key, the up arrow key, the sym key, or the gesture area? Do I swipe my finger along the text I want to highlight, or do I swipe it across the gesture area? Things of that nature are not intuitive at all, and reflect WebOS' putting aesthetics ahead of functionality.

All that said, I am sticking with the Pixi. It has its flaws--many of them inherent to WebOS itself--but no phone is without flaws. I much as I appreciate the physical design of my Q, I could not go back to WM5 now. WebOS makes that old OS look like something that belongs on a graphing calculator.

That and I don't think I could ever use a phone that does not have built-in inductive charging. Cables are so 2009. Fortunately (or unfortunately if you're HP) I think we will start to see built-in inductive charging from a lot more manufacturers in the future. Powermat is already hitting the TV airwaves hard, and if they attract enough customers, I suspect many manufacturers will integrate Powermat functionality into their devices. Once that happens, I might be migrating back to that company I have a love/hate relationship with, Microsoft.

It sounds like you might not be ready for most smartphones. Maybe a Blackberry might be best for you? FYI, voice dialing will show up in a future 2.x update (though nobody is sure when; most of us agree it is sorely needed). I find that webOS was built for one-handed use better than any OS out there, and I have had WinMo, iOS, and Android phones before. We here at Precentral always appreciate honest feedback and opinions.

If you are going to stick around, why don't you check out some of the other forums and hit up some of the dedicated members here to help make your experience with your Pixi far more like what you are looking for (trust me, it can).

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    It sounds like you might not be ready for most smartphones. Maybe a Blackberry might be best for you? FYI, voice dialing will show up in a future 2.x update (though nobody is sure when; most of us agree it is sorely needed). I find that webOS was built for one-handed use better than any OS out there, and I have had WinMo, iOS, and Android phones before. We here at Precentral always appreciate honest feedback and opinions.

If you are going to stick around, why don't you check out some of the other forums and hit up some of the dedicated members here to help make your experience with your Pixi far more like what you are looking for (trust me, it can).
    Not ready for smartphones? Ha! Good one. I think the problem--if it can be called that--is the popularity that smartphones are enjoying in the consumer market. Both hardware designers and OS designers are putting much more importance on the look and feel of the smartphone experience than they have in the past, when it was all about getting things done.

Currently, there are very few smartphones available that do not incorporate a capacitive touchscreen designed for fingertip use, whereas in the past, there were either phones without touchscreens or phones with styli. However, this push was brought about by gotta-have-it devices like the iPhone rather than flaws with the previous methods.

I believe that eventually the pendulum will begin to swing the other direction and a happy medium between cool-gadgety design and usefulness will be reached.

The Blackberry does indeed have the physical layout I am looking for, but the OS is, in my opinion, defunct. I am all for competition and choice, but BB is one OS I would be happy to see die. If for no other reason, it would keep my clients from buying them, and then wondering why it doesn't work like it should because their company understandably does not want to put out the money or effort required to run a BES.

So right now, there are really no phones out there that would be what I would consider perfect. Perfection for me would be a smartphone with all the buttons of my old Q, no touchscreen, and a polished OS. I am predicting that MS will be the first to reach perfection, since this is a design concept they are obviously familiar with.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast