1.    #1  
    With the bombshell this morning that HP/Palm aren't releasing any new phones until 2011, I'm freaking out about what to do with my VZ Palm Pre Plus. I have 15 months left on my contract and my GPS sucks (as all of us on VZ know). With the trickle of information last week, I was getting hopeful that some new kind of WebOS phone was coming soon. That would have been great for me b/c VZ has given me a couple months to decide if I want to keep my Pre Plus, or trade it out for another phone (obviously an Android). For the record, I've looked at all their Android phones (Droid 2, Droid X, Incredible, Fasinate) and don't really care for any of them. The hardware isn't nearly as sleek and the OS is nowhere near on par with WebOS. That said, functional GPS on a smartphone is extremely important to me. So now I have to decide if I can wait out this GPS frustration through 12/11 OR if I can live with an Android phone through 12/11. It's a lose lose situation for me.
    <<Thread Renamed/Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    not so much an announcement as a comment. he could have been referring to european launch dates.

I guess your dilemma is how much you need gps in your phone, and how much the gpsfix app/patch helps it work for you. It makes mine work well, and I'm known for using a Garmin for actual driving.

If GPSfix works for you, or you don't depend on the GPS for important stuff, you might want to wait at least until after CES in January. If you can't wait, you can always buy something on Craig's list so you can try out android without burning your upgrade.

many have gone to android from webos and come back screaming in terror from how much they regretted it. many have also gone to android and loved it. finding a low-risk way to try it might be good, but hopefully you can hold out for a few months... and hope the recent comments were about the european markets.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    not so much an announcement as a comment. he could have been referring to european launch dates.

I guess your dilemma is how much you need gps in your phone, and how much the gpsfix app/patch helps it work for you. It makes mine work well, and I'm known for using a Garmin for actual driving.

If GPSfix works for you, or you don't depend on the GPS for important stuff, you might want to wait at least until after CES in January. If you can't wait, you can always buy something on Craig's list so you can try out android without burning your upgrade.

many have gone to android from webos and come back screaming in terror from how much they regretted it. many have also gone to android and loved it. finding a low-risk way to try it might be good, but hopefully you can hold out for a few months... and hope the recent comments were about the european markets.
    Well, my upgrade isn't until 12/11. VZ has just offered to let my trade my Pre Plus for any other phone I want b/c of the GPS issue. I told them I'd wait to see if the issue got any better and they said that was fine and to let them know w/in a couple months if I wanted to trade it out. That's why I was hoping for a new WebOS device by November-ish.
    if they will let you trade for a hot phone, you can always sell it for enough to grab a couple of used Pre phones.

also, have you tried the GPSfix app and patch solution. it's worked for many users, including me.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, I tried the GPS fix, but it didn't do much for me
    I don't think 12/11 will solve your GPS issues with Verizon! If they can block GPS on a Pre Plus they can block it on the next generation Palm phones as well.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I don't think 12/11 will solve your GPS issues with Verizon! If they can block GPS on a Pre Plus they can block it on the next generation Palm phones as well.
    Well, I'm off Verizon in 12/11 and onto another provider. I'm done with Big Red.
    how did you get them to give you a new phone? I tried they wouldn't budge!
    So GPS is THAT important to you? I have a Verizon Pre Plus as well and yeah the GPS takes a little while to pinpoint you but when it does, you're good. At least with my experience. I dont know. If the gps is that much of a problem to make you go to Android, then I guess thats your only choice if you stay on verizon. If you still want the Pre, just switch to Sprint or AT&T since they apparently dont have the GPS problem. It just depends on how important that GPS is for you.
    I would get rid of the Pre+ while you still have the chance. Why suffer with a phone that is crippled by the carrier?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Well, I'm off Verizon in 12/11 and onto another provider. I'm done with Big Red.
    what did you do or say? I called and told them the situation they told me agps wasn't available. I told them it was we went back and forth. I filed a complaint with the BBB verizon said they would give me an answer in 15 days.
    Switch to Android. No brainer. Pre Plus is EOL'ed on Verizon later this month, to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Switch to Android. No brainer. Pre Plus is EOL'ed on Verizon later this month, to boot.
    Yes sir! That man has no brain! - I hate the phrase “No brainer”!!!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I was wondering if this is just me. My GPS never used to work. But with GPS fix I was able to use apps like nav it and google maps a little better.

However, my GPS just started randomly working this week. I just toggled the GPS in my device menu, opened google maps, and for the first time ever the google maps actually found my location and was following my location...

I'm not sure why its working... but I like it. Anyone retest their GPS recently??