Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If that type of thing worries you, you probably should stop using the Internet completely!
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    Android is the OS for the biggest losers. HTC / Samsung / Motorola.
    so they pay microsoft to use google's OS. Microsoft, you see... makes things, it has patents, and it is enforcing them on google handset makers. It's a good thing. I don't think you have to worry, though. For instance, Verizon android handsets default to bing search. Android will be great middleware, and all the handset suppliers can get ad revenue from the highest bidder. The experience only has to be compelling enough to sell you new hardware, and long term support does not need to be an issue with the handset makers. I believe that in the long run you will see google's native apps supplanted by vendor supplied alternatives of these applications as google gets squeezed further and further out of the model.
    I wouldn't call HTC or Motorola a loser in this scenario. HTC did cut a money deal, but Moto was just sued so we'll see what happens.

HTC though has record profits right now....how are they a loser in this situation? haha.

Furthermore your note of Verizon android devices defaulting to Bing is just false. SOME do. And its because Verizon has a deal with Bing. So the non droid labeled android devices use bing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    If that type of thing worries you, you probably should stop using the Internet completely!
    Indeed. Not to say the OP is nuts and the concerns are genuine but seriously, if you are that worried about information gathering you might want to get rid of any smart handset you have, dump your broadband, stop communicating entirely with the outside world. That the only way to be sure you're disconnected and safe inside your co****.

And if millions of us happen to enjoy the fact that we can access apps that allow us to do more things via the handset, quickly and easily with no fuss and no need to go elsewhere than, say, Palm (which Android does with ease) then we're guilty of endorsing and using the "loser" O/S.

I can live with that. Can others live with their defeatist mentality?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I am far more afraid of Google than any other entity. Knowledge is power. Knowledge about you is power over you. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Google has no product to sell. Information is their product. Search is based on content created by others. Google just indexes it. Android is based on open source. They count on their partners to finish it and make it viable. They provide a platform for advertisers. What do the have to offer advertisers? You! You are not Google's customer; you are Google's product. If that doesn't worry you, it should.
    this.

and, i've always been a fan of the google = skynet thought. when google teams up with lockheed martin, i locking myself in my buddy's concrete basement with all of his assault rifles and canned foods. maybe some hookers too. just in case.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    haha... Google is definitely the Borg... or Skynet as someone else mentioned... im sure thoughtcrimes come next.

Seriously though... just because Google says it isnt interested in a lot of the information it gathers, doesnt mean it isnt selling that information to others who ARE interested. This is capitalism at its purest form really...
    Yes... THIS is what I'm afraid of. The fact that all the information is out there for *someone* to use... not Google specifically.
    so ads being directed to your normal likes is a bad thing?

What information are you guys putting about yourself online? Anything that you want to keep on the hush hush you have your means to do it without involving google if you are smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    so ads being directed to your normal likes is a bad thing?

What information are you guys putting about yourself online? Anything that you want to keep on the hush hush you have your means to do it without involving google if you are smart.
    Well the problem is there can be a lot of information you may provide beyond what you simply enter into profiles or websites, most notably when using a phone is your location and essentially your schedule, and if presented right could be something you never have to check-in to.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well the problem is there can be a lot of information you may provide beyond what you simply enter into profiles or websites, most notably when using a phone is your location and essentially your schedule, and if presented right could be something you never have to check-in to.
    Agreed....but that's what someone else brought up. If you are that concerned over what google knows about you, you should be equally concerned on cell phone manufactures and the internet as a whole.

Live off the grid...use disposable phones, only use cash.

Thats how you keep your privacy high. Otherwise....its a new information age....unfortunately, the ease we can obtain information about people means so can companies/government.
    No credit of any kind. Use only cash. Do not register for power, phone, cable, internet access, or other utilities. Do not have a driver's license. Do not write checks or even have a bank account. Show proof of your death to the social security administration to eliminate your SSAN.

After you've done all these things, THEN start worrying about Google.
    lol
    2 very interesting videos

haha i saw that Epic thing in college in 2004 or 2005..so old but funny how many things kinda happened....but then they got way off.

Original website: http://epic.makingithappen.co.uk/ols-master1.html

Plays a bit smoother than the youtube video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Original website: http://epic.makingithappen.co.uk/ols-master1.html

Plays a bit smoother than the youtube video.
    Ah irony. The video plays right above a small frame titled "Ads by Google." They really are watching EVERYONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    you are correct. Google is the new Microsoft.
    In other words, Microsoft used to be bigger than it is, in other words, any conglomerate that gets too big eventually is put in check by the nature of economy. People have been freaking out for years that this company or that is going to take over the world, but there are 7 billion people in the world now guys. The majority hasnt heard of google. Wrap your head around that.
    Alot of people think their information is soooo important....when really its not...
    Anonymity, like security is an illusion. I understand this. I do however get a little annoyed that while reading my Gmail (which I have to have for work) google targets ads based upon the content of the email which I am reading. I have taken to only reading my emails on my Pre to avoid ads. Ads feel intrusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by xylos555 View Post
    Anonymity, like security is an illusion. I understand this. I do however get a little annoyed that while reading my Gmail (which I have to have for work) google targets ads based upon the content of the email which I am reading. I have taken to only reading my emails on my Pre to avoid ads. Ads feel intrusive.
    Why sign up for gmail in that case?

Its not like they are hiding the fact they tailor ads to your stuff. Is it a single person reading your email? Not they have computers just scanning stuff and finding keywords to tailor ads to you.

If you don't want those ads, then don't use gmail, but every free email provider pretty much has ads on their email. I'd at least rather it be something i might be interested in and is mostly just text instead of a banner ad.
    If you have YouTube, Gmail, Google Search, Google Maps, etc. you have already let Google into your phone.

Do you know what Google apps are really doing on your phone? Really?

If you are that worried, don't you need to remove all of your Google apps too?

If Google has not already driven your street taking photos of your house they will be by shortly. So you might want to stay inside. And they can see through walls so it is best to put up aluminum foil.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/09/2010 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    If Google has not already driven your street taking photos of your house they will be by shortly. So you might want to stay inside. And they can see through walls so it is best to put up auminum foil.
    They take naked pictures of your cats as well, so keep your pets indoors. (jump to 1:10)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balzak View Post
    Ok.. Im putting on my tinfoil helmet and putting this out there..

I was talking to a friend today who was thinking about getting an Epic or Evo. I tired to tell him about how cool WebOS was but it fell on deaf ears. He then asked me why I was such an Android hater. My response was "Google".

I went on to tell him that I believe Google's ultimate goal is world domination. As I type, Im convinced they are looking for an Island, buying the worlds supply of eye patches and recruiting evil midgets to act as their minions. By collecting all of our data through web searches and the Android platform they know more about us than our wives. As far as we know its for marketing purposes and the advertisements pay for Android (Hmm... a self supporting platform to document our interests and movements).

Google has come under fire from Governments for poaching wifi, have pictures of every house in the world and are one subpeona way from providing all kinds of info to the black helicopter people.

Twenty years ago if anybody said.. There will be an entity that can track your movements, has pictures of everybody's houses and knows all your interests, people wold have responded: We have rights! The Government cant do that to us. Well they would be partially right.. its not the Government.

This is kinda tongue and cheek but.... AM I nuts???? Is Android the beginning of the end as we know it??
    Well they said there is no need for another operating system, guess they think android is perfect, and also I guess no need for another search engine. I prefer webos and also like bing a little better. Happy to have a choice for now
    Last edited by laingman; 10/10/2010 at 06:55 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast