Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, FYI, take care, Jay

The iPhone Has a Real Fight on Its Hands
    By MIGUEL HELFT, October 5, 2010, 3:01 pm

Android Phones Outselling iPhone, BlackBerry - NYTimes.com

Back in March, I wrote about the increasingly personal fight between Steven P. Jobs, the Apple chief executive, and Eric E. Schmidt, his Google counterpart. In it, I quoted Mr. Jobs saying: “Make no mistake: Google wants to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them.”

Six months later, there are no indications that Google is killing the iPhone. But there is no doubt that the iPhone has a serious fight on its hands. Phones powered by Google’s Android operating system are now the most popular among smartphones in the United States, according to new data released by Nielsen.

In the six months ending August 10, Android phones accounted for 32 percent of the smartphones sold, Nielsen said. By comparison, iPhones accounted for 25 percent of devices sold and BlackBerry handsets for 26 percent. A month earlier, the three types of devices were in a virtual dead heat.

Of course, Google’s gain is not necessarily Apple’s loss, at least not yet. Apple sold more than 3 million iPhone 4s in the four weeks after the device went on sale. More recently, Apple has said that customers have activated a total of 120 million iOS devices, which includes all iPhone models, as well the iPod Touch and the iPad.

But the growth of Android is remarkable. Newsweek called it the Android Invasion. And Google-powered phones now account of nearly one-in-five smartphones currently in use in the United States, whereas the iPhone accounts for slightly more than one-in-four and the BlackBerry nearly one-in-three, according to the Nielsen data.

The Nielsen numbers confirm those of other research outfits. They also raise anew the question of whether Apple needs to break out of its AT&T exclusivity and bring the iPhone to Verizon Wireless. Ivan Seidenberg, Verizon’s chief executive, recently poured cold water on the prospect of that happening soon.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The Android army is on the march and is taking no prisoners...but Wp7 is about to get into the mix.
    Last edited by kinster02; 10/05/2010 at 09:41 PM.
    Thanks Jay, for the article. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I truly believe that HP is about to kick up its products a notch and this will also cut into Apple's share of the market.
    I don't see the Palm devices cutting into anything other than a negligible market share. Palm missed the boat by a mile and they'll be stuck trying to play catch up.

On the other hand Apple's devices may see a large uptick in share due to launching on VZW next year.

It's still a win for consumers because it broadens the playing field for all of us.
    Competition is always a win for consumers. In this case it might encourage apple to make the iPhone available on more carriers and make it easier to unlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    Thanks Jay, for the article. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I truly believe that HP is about to kick up its products a notch and this will also cut into Apple's share of the market.
    This. With the clout and resources of HP (dont mind spending), it will be a different world for Palm devices.

Folks continue to talk about the past as if it was HP/Palm during these terrible times. HP has bought up many companies that we will see become apart of the webOS plan, which will benefit phones, etc as well as become the trend.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    This. With the clout and resources of HP (dont mind spending), it will be a different world for Palm devices.

Folks continue to talk about the past as if it was HP/Palm during these terrible times. HP has bought up many companies that we will see become apart of the webOS plan, which will benefit phones, etc as well as become the trend.
    You are correct about the companies that HP is buying up. One complaint about the Palm phones and WebOS is the boot time. If you look at the HP purchases you will find:
    "HP has confirmed that it will spend $12 million to buy the Linux-based quick-boot OS and client virtualisation assets of Phoenix Technologies."
    This would be needed not only for future phones but also Tablets and any other device using WebOS.
    That is just one of many acquisitions that HP has made this year, many of them have value in putting together a Phone that will draw some real attention.
    I know people around here get all upset when I bring this up.

1. Android is not a phone, it is a platform that consists of over sixty products. Combining all those product sales to the iPhone is just silly.

2. I have yet to see a Samsung Galaxy S Verizon phone that is not accompanied with the word, "FREE". Buy the Galaxy S, get any 2nd phone for free. That is how Android phones are sold. That makes a real difference.

iOS owns the mind-share and revenue-share. No one else is even close. These comparisons are silly. No Android-based phone comes anywhere near the same zip-code as the iPhone. That is not likely to change anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I know people around here get all upset when I bring this up.

1. Android is not a phone, it is a platform that consists of over sixty products. Combining all those product sales to the iPhone is just silly.
    Oh, like how Apple counts iOS DEVICES instead of X sales for iPod Touch, X sales for iPhone, and x for iPad?

2. I have yet to see a Samsung Galaxy S Verizon phone that is not accompanied with the word, "FREE". Buy the Galaxy S, get any 2nd phone for free. That is how Android phones are sold. That makes a real difference.
    No, it doesn't and this outright lie has been debunked multiple times.

iOS owns the mind-share and revenue-share. No one else is even close. These comparisons are silly. No Android-based phone comes anywhere near the same zip-code as the iPhone. That is not likely to change anytime soon.
    LOL. First you say we shouldn't compare Android phoneS to the iPhone (singular), then you do just that. Make up your mind already.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Oh, like how Apple counts iOS DEVICES instead of X sales for iPod Touch, X sales for iPhone, and x for iPad?
    We know exactly how many iPhones are sold. We get the numbers directly from Apple. How many Droids were sold? You will have to ask an analyst. Moto isn't talking.

No, it doesn't and this outright lie has been debunked multiple times.
    Oh, come on! You really think advertising something as FREE makes no difference to consumers? You're the one not being honest, here.

LOL. First you say we shouldn't compare Android phoneS to the iPhone (singular), then you do just that. Make up your mind already.
    You lost me. No Android-based phone, (singular) comes close in sales to the iPhone, (singular). I fail to see the inconsistency.
    We know exactly how many iPhones are sold. We get the numbers directly from Apple. How many Droids were sold? You will have to ask an analyst. Moto isn't talking.
    Apple and AT&T report quarterly numbers, but Apple conflates the totals for all iOS devices at every keynote. Motorola, Samsung, and HTC's financials - all on a serious uptick - are doing the talking for them.

Oh, come on! You really think advertising something as FREE makes no difference to consumers? You're the one not being honest, here.
    You have to have someone else sign ANOTHER contract. It's essentially making the price of the second phone a "referral" fee for bringing or keeping them aboard. I guess DirecTV "gives away" $100 for you bringing them additional customers while staying a current one. Is there not a marketing trick you will not fall for?

And that is not how "Android phones" are sold. It's an outright lie.

You lost me. No Android-based phone, (singular) comes close in sales to the iPhone, (singular). I fail to see the inconsistency.
    And the Android platform (singular) is growing much faster than the iOS platform (singular) and will eventually surpass it.
    Ok how many iPhones have been sold? Please also include your source.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    once the iphone hits verizon, the momentum will shift back to apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Althought I think you are right it depends on how much Verizon decides to push the Android phones they have coming out and if the iPhone will be a LTE phone or not.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I think it will be lte, and I think there are MANY at&t haters that would take an iphone without hesitation. I may even be one of them.
    Why do people act like there is only one iPhone? There are currently 2 iphones on sale legit, with many people still using iPhone 3G.

Furthermore, apple coutns all iOS devices so that means the LARGE number of ipod touches.

2nd, what concern is it to google if Apple only releases one phone a year? Their loss.

I'm sure if on each carrier there was one android device they one device would do a lot better than how it is now with spreading out android sales over 5 phones on one network.

Yes iPhone has a ridiculous mindshare, but all these Apple portable devices do....its just not going to change cause of another product....but android is most certainly doing well as a platform, and keeping Motorola and HTC as well as verizon and Sprint very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    To some extent, but Verizon and "Droids" are not the sole driver of Android. Domestically, T-Mobile and Sprint are still doubled down on it, and internationally, the Galaxy S, HTC Desire family and Motorola Milestone have been huge. Additionally, Verizon has invested a lot in the Droid brand and will not simply EOL the devices once iPhone arrives. Remember that ATT has sold a lot of Samsung Captivates even with iPhone 4 abundantly available. It is still sold by ATT at the exact same price as the iPhone 4, even four months after launch.

Unlike the Palm Pre Plus, which started cheaper than iPhone and dropped the price 66 percent five months later.
    To be honest...i'm surprised Verizon hasn't snubbed Apple since we all know Apple demands a lot from AT&T (no preloaded AT&T apps, portion of the money from each iphone user goes to Apple, updates go through apple etc.) and Verizon really is swimming in Droid heaven right now I see less of a reason unless they truly believe there will be a large migration of subscribers to their service because of this to even deal with Apple's demands.
    Why oh why do these worthless articles keep getting printed? Look at the below graph...

screen-shot-2010-09-21-at-2-02-49-pm.png

That is all Apple cares about. That's how they have always operated and probably always will.

The only thing Apple is fighting is where to put all the billions they keep raking in.

And it's not a real fight until the iPhone is on Verizon. I don't know why bloggers keep posting false info. Oh, that's right. They will sell their soul to get the masses to click on an article. So, put the word, Apple, in a link and people will click away.

Had to post that first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    To be honest...i'm surprised Verizon hasn't snubbed Apple since we all know Apple demands a lot from AT&T (no preloaded AT&T apps, portion of the money from each iphone user goes to Apple, updates go through apple etc.) and Verizon really is swimming in Droid heaven right now I see less of a reason unless they truly believe there will be a large migration of subscribers to their service because of this to even deal with Apple's demands.

Yea but Verizon has more to push back with against Apple to help them even out the terms compared to AT&T. Plus like you said, they will probably steal a decent number of subscribers from AT&T as long as they don't compromise too much and hurt the big selling point of the Verizon network, call quality.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 10/06/2010 at 05:14 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast