Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Ok how many iPhones have been sold? Please also include your source.
    Ask and you shall receive...

Apple tallies record revenue on Mac, iPad, and iPhone sales | Computers | MacUser | Macworld

In the article are graphs for the iPhone and many other Apple products.

But, as of the end of June 2010, Apple had sold approx 60 million iPhones. That does not include the sales of the iPhone 4 which was released on June 24th.
    I wonder if webOS w/ the aid of HP ever reach a 20% market share!?
    If you think so, how long do you think it would take?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Apple and AT&T report quarterly numbers, but Apple conflates the totals for all iOS devices at every keynote. Motorola, Samsung, and HTC's financials - all on a serious uptick - are doing the talking for them.
    I provided this link

Apple tallies record revenue on Mac, iPad, and iPhone sales | Computers | MacUser | Macworld

That shows very easily how many iPhones Apple has sold each quarter. You cannot find that detailed info from any Android vendor. All we get is surveys and analyst's opinions about the sales of Android devices.

Please point me in the direction of some hard facts that show how Android has sold over the past couple of years that is not an opinion, guess, or some analyst's comment. Because if they are selling so well the facts should be there just as easy as I found facts on Apple's whole product line over many quarters.

And the Android platform (singular) is growing much faster than the iOS platform (singular) and will eventually surpass it.
    Steve Jobs announced earlier this year that they have sold over 100 million iOS devices.

Where are the facts that Android has shipped that many and/or growing faster? Because all these articles I see are the iPhone versus 50+ Android devices while they ignore the iPod touch and iPad. Both of those devices will run the same exact apps (with some exceptions for some apps) as the iPhone.

And surveys and analysts opinions are not facts. I would like to see concrete evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsonspre View Post
    I wonder if webOS w/ the aid of HP ever reach a 20% market share!?
    If you think so, how long do you think it would take?
    Just ask Microsoft how much market share they got with the Zune in the MP3 market.

If you go back in time you will find tons of articles about how Plays For Sure MP3 players was going to do to the iPod what the PC's did to the Mac. They failed miserably.

Then Microsoft decided they had to beat the iPod and everyone said the Zune was going to beat the iPod because it was cheaper, had more features, etc. So, since it was big, bad Microsoft they were going to beat the iPod. They failed.

Then I keep hearing this comment of the smart phone market is very small and will grow significantly over the next several years. Just replace smart phone with MP3 player and go back to 2000 until now. And how many companies over the past 10 years were big in the MP3 player space when that market peak until today? I can just think of one company.

Moral or the story, just because HP is so big is not guarantee that WebOS is going to do any better under HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I provided this link

That shows very easily how many iPhones Apple has sold each quarter. You cannot find that detailed info from any Android vendor. All we get is surveys and analyst's opinions about the sales of Android devices.

Please point me in the direction of some hard facts that show how Android has sold over the past couple of years that is not an opinion, guess, or some analyst's comment. Because if they are selling so well the facts should be there just as easy as I found facts on Apple's whole product line over many quarters.
    This is such a silly canard. Android is an open-source OS. Google doesn't manufacture devices, nor do they control how they are distributed, so there's no comparison to Apple keynote announcements. Yes, they can note how many activations there are, but there are KIRF Android slates and phones galore across the globe that don't use any licensed Google services, but only the older open-sourced versions of Android.

Individual manufacturers can list whatever they want or don't want to. Samsung just announced 5 million Galaxy S phones sold. HTC hasn't announced anything except that they are printing money. Who cares?

Well, you do, but you have some sort of bizarre identification and self-worth tied up with Apple products and their continued dominance.
    This is such a silly canard. Android is an open-source OS. Google doesn't manufacture devices, nor do they control how they are distributed, so there's no comparison to Apple keynote announcements. Yes, they can note how many activations there are, but there are KIRF Android slates and phones galore across the globe that don't use any licensed Google services, but only the older open-sourced versions of Android.

Individual manufacturers can list whatever they want or don't want to. Samsung just announced 5 million Galaxy S phones sold. HTC hasn't announced anything except that they are printing money. Who cares?

Well, you do, but you have some sort of bizarre identification and self-worth tied up with Apple products and their continued dominance.
    Mikah912, my thought exactly. There is no concrete evidence of what's going on with Android OS when it comes to sales and market share. Which is why I said the article the OP posted is worthless. It's a bunch of noise about nothing because everyone is just guessing when it comes to Android.

Who cares? Apparently a lot of people on a Palm Pre forum. Including you, that has made several topics on this post so far. If we are not talking about sales then how can the iPhone have a SUPPOSED fight on it's hands?

You point the finger at me about Apple? Isn't it the media, bloggers, etc that keep posting all these articles about Android outselling the iPhone. I just try to post known, factual info to balance out all the noise.
    So lets say 1 million Android devices get sold. Google's take is 1,000,000 * 0 = $0.

I bet the iPhone is a little more profitable to Apple than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So lets say 1 million Android devices get sold. Google's take is 1,000,000 * 0 = $0.

Well, according to the CEO of Google, that I saw posted on Engadget

Of course, it doesn't make all that money from Android directly, but Schmidt says that Android-based phones are already generating enough advertising revenue to cover the cost of development. What's more, while he doesn't provide any current specific numbers, Schmidt did say that he expects there to someday be one billion Android phones in the world, and that if each one generated just $10 per user per year it would be a $10 billion business --
    they are making money. But, what I find so interesting is that he declined to provide any current specific numbers.

We already know that as of June 2010 Apple has sold 60 million+ iPhones. But, the CEO of Google can't come out and say that they have activated x amount of Android phones? It doesn't make sense. If Google has really activated more Android devices than Apple has sold iPhones that was his opportunity to say it, but he didn't.

More smoke and mirrors and another reason why the article at the beginning of this post is much ado about nothing.
    Last edited by SoFly; 10/07/2010 at 04:14 PM.
    MM true, but the personal data that google mines is worth a fortune cumulatively. Of course, I don't know the metrics but it's got to be a ton, to justify the dev they've done.

Moby, you're better than this.

Android is not free in the form that you see it on any major smartphone. If you want to see free Android, just pick up a KIRF iPad clone from Craiglist or EBay. Complete junk with no Google apps onboard and no access to the market. Only the OS framework is free. Google's apps and market most certainly generate revenue. So do the ads in the apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I provided this link

Steve Jobs announced earlier this year that they have sold over 100 million iOS devices.

Where are the facts that Android has shipped that many and/or growing faster? Because all these articles I see are the iPhone versus 50+ Android devices while they ignore the iPod touch and iPad. Both of those devices will run the same exact apps (with some exceptions for some apps) as the iPhone.

And surveys and analysts opinions are not facts. I would like to see concrete evidence.
    Well first, Jobs also said they outsold the DS and PSP combined which was a flat out lie.

As for the previous comments, you're attempting to compare an "apple" to 50 other fruits. When analysts are looking at the smartphone market they aren't looking at 50 different devices, they're looking at what platforms the devices that are selling are running, just like with personal computers. iPhone(iOS) vs Android just like Mac(OSX) vs Windows. Tablets, iTouchs, ATVs are not smartphones just like server systems running Windows are not personal computers to be compared to Mac(OSX).
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    As for the previous comments, you're attempting to compare an "apple" to 50 other fruits. When analysts are looking at the smartphone market they aren't looking at 50 different devices, they're looking at what platforms the devices that are selling are running, just like with personal computers. iPhone(iOS) vs Android just like Mac(OSX) vs Windows. Tablets, iTouchs, ATVs are not smartphones just like server systems running Windows are not personal computers to be compared to Mac(OSX).
    That does not help your case. That sort of comparison is absurd. Comparing the MBP line of notebooks to all notebooks running Windows from every notebook manufacturer. How about comparing sales of the HP Envy line to the MBP line. That would make more sense. All One-vs-many comparisons are stupid. It is an intentional attempt to cloud the issue, and hide some embarrassing fact.
    Only the OS framework is free. Google's apps and market most certainly generate revenue. So do the ads in the apps.
    Any profit that they are making on the app store is minimal (Most Android apps are free anyway). Ads is a different story. However, I will add that Google can probably make as much revenue selling ads on the iPhone than they do on an Android device,
    Any profit that they are making on the app store is minimal (Most Android apps are free anyway). Ads is a different story. However, I will add that Google can probably make as much revenue selling ads on the iPhone than they do on an Android device,
    Most free apps have ads. Either way, Google is quite happy with Android's money making, as they should be. Apple's model is super profitable, too. Neither is hurting.
    Pretty much...just the way Google does their business. They give crap away for free to make money off of the ad stream from people using their free stuff.

Its a market very few can do and some question the long term strength of it but for Google its been working wonders.

Sure they could've sold android and it might still be just as popular today (maybe not AS many devices as their are) but thats not how Google does business.
    Most free apps have ads. Either way, Google is quite happy with Android's money making, as they should be. Apple's model is super profitable, too. Neither is hurting.
    Perhaps, but we have not seen any numbers at all form Google to back this up.
    Perhaps, but we have not seen any numbers at all form Google to back this up.
    I'm sure it's costing money to Google at this moment. But this is a long term investment...

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by orion antares View Post

had to post that first.
    lmao:d
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I know people around here get all upset when I bring this up.

2. I have yet to see a Samsung Galaxy S Verizon phone that is not accompanied with the word, "FREE". Buy the Galaxy S, get any 2nd phone for free. That is how Android phones are sold. That makes a real difference.
    since you obviously DONT know what you are talking about let me edumacate you

Verizon

Att

The way carriers price their phones is based on a contract system. (NOTE above , Phones are NOT free) they are discounted.

Let's take the Galaxy S series ( i work as a retailer selling BOTH Att and verizon)

On AT&T
    I Purchase this phone for $455

Scenario 1) Customer Comes in wanting to buy the phone NO contract - I sell it for $499

Scenario 2) Customer Comes in wanting to buy the phone WITH contract - If they Take an Unlimited Plan of 69.99 - Att pays a total comission of $454 on a NEW contract.

I can technically Give the phone away and Break even.. But i would make at least 150 on it.

Scenario 3) Customer Comes in wanting to buy the phone WITH contract - If they Take an Unlimited Plan of 69.99 - Att pays a total comission of $405 on a Upgrade contract.

I can technically Give the phone away and Break even.. But i would make at least 150 on it.

Scenario 4) Customer Comes in wanting to buy the phone WITH contract - If they Take an Unlimited Plan of 9.99 - Att pays a total comission of $285 on a NEW or Upgradecontract.

I lose $170 if Give the phone away.... So i would sell the phone for at least 249.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Pretty much...just the way Google does their business. They give crap away for free to make money off of the ad stream from people using their free stuff.

To be clear, the real bucks in Google's model is data mining and the revenue associated with that.

Like Facebook has also determined, our demographics, habits and data are much more valuable, as a product to be sold, than ad revenue.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast