1.    #1  
    Study: Apps aren't helping smartphone sales | The Digital Home - CNET News

So according to this article a survey of approximately 2000 people, ages 14-75, only about 18% indicated that availability of apps factor into their smartphone buying decision.

Also, only 65% of people who buy smartphones end up downloading at least one app.

I constantly read in these forums how one of the reasons Palm is failing in attracting potential customers is because the lack of apps and the failure of Palm in attracting developers. In fact I have been one of those who advocated this theory.

The survey went on to show that 58 percent of consumers say a smartphone's size, quality, keyboard style, and price factor into their buying decision.

I'm not sure I have completely changed my mind but it makes me wonder if maybe we in these forums over exaggerate the importance of apps because we make the correlation that is what makes the iPhone successful. If we are to simply use this survey as guiding post then HP/Palm should have more wisely used their money from the Hot Apps contest in R&D of device hardware that will attract consumers.

What does everyone else think?
    this applies to the completely uninformed customer. I was a bit apprehensive about switched to webOS because I knew android and iOS had a ton more apps.
    I agree. It's quality and utility not quantity that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I agree. It's quality and utility not quantity that matters.
    Sorry to say that the former does not exist without the latter. No platform I have seen yet has some insanely high ratio of quality apps. Desktop, mobile, whatever....
    I think it plays a roll, but only to a point.

If a platform has the most downloaded apps in all the categories, the number of other apps is less important to casual consumers.

webOS has, for example, enough games that I don't think people are not choosing it based on that category.

on the other hand, there are absolutely no microphone or completely on device photo apps due to the API's not being available.

I think not having things like voice commands or voice search matter to people, like my own mother, who wants that ability for use in her car, or the wiz-bang of shazam.

in other words I think if you have thousands of apps, be it 2k or 200k is less important than if you have the apps people expect.

in the end, apps aren't any more important than battery life IMHO. if it dosn't easily get you through the day, it will scare people away, if it gets you through 3 days its just "nice" but not necessary.
  6.    #6  
    I dont think the article even mentioned if quality of apps made a difference. I think what was most telling was that it didn't seem to matter as much as the hardware and I would assume secondly the OS.

We all seem to assume that if webOS could just get more apps (quality or not) things will pick up for them. I have been always under the impression that if the App Catalog could boast the same numbers as the App Store and Marketplace then there would be the same number of people wanting to buy webOS devices. This seems to contradict this view.

What the survey appears to be saying is that HP/Palm needs to build the right device of high quality and that will push more people to webOS than simply getting a bunch of apps in the App Store.

I agree with mikah912 that unfortunately only a high number of apps will bring those few quality apps that we want. It is just the nature of the game.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

in other words I think if you have thousands of apps, be it 2k or 200k is less important than if you have the apps people expect.

The problem with this statement is that what you may expect is not what others may expect. I may not have any need for a more robust calender app than what Palm already provides. You on the other hand may find that app completely useless because it lacks features you cant live without.

I may want a lot options when it comes to banking apps as whats most important but could careless if a shazaam style app ever comes to webOS.

I think this goes back to @mika912's comment that a lot of apps are necessary in a catalog to so that we have the quality apps that people want. This because we each have different needs when it comes to our devices.

That may also be why the survey seems to indicate the apps are not as an important factor to as we may have assumed. I for one thought it would be the number one reason for the vast majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    The problem with this statement is that what you may expect is not what others may expect. I may not have any need for a more robust calender app than what Palm already provides. You on the other hand may find that app completely useless because it lacks features you cant live without.

I may want a lot options when it comes to banking apps as whats most important but could careless if a shazaam style app ever comes to webOS.

I think this goes back to @mika912's comment that a lot of apps are necessary in a catalog to so that we have the quality apps that people want. This because we each have different needs when it comes to our devices.

That may also be why the survey seems to indicate the apps are not as an important factor to as we may have assumed. I for one thought it would be the number one reason for the vast majority.

thats why I never made it specific to me when I made the statement, and why I made the comparison to battery life, which is very much based on the needs/behavior of the specific user.

there will be an "average user" with average needs, whatever that means, and a device needs to meet them, be it in apps, battery, service or whatever measure of a device you want.

the point you make, is one I agree with, we aren't really average users, and so our focus on one aspect or another, may not be representative of what the average consumer is looking for.
    There are four lights.
    If you intend to buy an Android or iPhone, you just assume that every possible app will already be available because, well, they are.

When this survey was conducted here was the rest of the picture:

80% of users in June intended to buy an iPhone or Android, so for 80%, apps are not even a consideration. Their new phone will have whatever they want.

Apps are only an issue if you are considering buying a phone that does not have every possible app.

So, app availability is no longer an issue for the majority of users.

The opportunity for HP is that a growing number of users HAVE NOT decided what they will buy next.

In June, 13% had not already made up their minds what they were buying next.

By September, 18% had not already decided what to buy next.

That is a huge and growing opportunity for HP. People were wanting iPhones, now with the growth of Android, more and more users are unsure what they want to do next.

If HP can get to market in time this is a great opportunity.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/05/2010 at 03:03 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    If you intend to buy an Android or iPhone, you just assume that every possible app will already be available because, well, they are.

When this survey was conducted here was the rest of the picture:

80% of users in June intended to buy an iPhone or Android, so for 80%, apps are not even a consideration. They will have whatever they want.

Apps are only an issue if you are considering buying a phone that does not have every possible app.

So, app availablitly is no longer an issue for the majority of user.

The opportunity for HP is that a growing number of users HAVE NOT decidied what they will buy next.

In June, 13% had not already made up their minds what they were buying next.

In September 18% had not already decided what to buy next.

That is a huge and growing opportunity for HP. People were wanting iPhones, now with the growth of Android more and more unsure what they want to do next.

If HP can get to market in the middle of time it is a great opportunity.

- Craig
    I am pretty sure they factored in the fact if people just assumed that the apps would be available. Otherwise their conclusion would be completely wrong. Although I could be wrong. I didnt see the exact questions being asked in the survey.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    this applies to the completely uninformed customer. I was a bit apprehensive about switched to webOS because I knew android and iOS had a ton more apps.
    most buyers are uninformed.
    ^ true
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I am pretty sure they factored in the fact if people just assumed that the apps would be available. Otherwise their conclusion would be completely wrong. Although I could be wrong. I didnt see the exact questions being asked in the survey.
    They did not ask, "Do you just assume that the phone you want will have the apps you want?"

I think that every person who said that apps were not an issue would have said "yes."

That is pretty seriously flawed.

-Craig