Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    iPad becomes 'most quickly adopted non-phone electronic product,' analysts get giddy

Mercedes-Benz Financial pushes iPad program nationwide

Tablet wars: 3 reasons why the iPad will prevail

All three of these articles are interesting when read separately. When taken as a whole, it becomes abundantly clear that iPad mania is kicking into high gear. I was particularly interested in the second one. Mercedes went from trial to full adoption in a flash. They were clearly successful in their program, and are transitioning to full-scale integration.

This is an awful lot of momentum for any company to try to overtake. Companies are announcing vaporware just to try and slow this train down. RIM, I'm looking at you. Others are relying on an OS that is, according to the maker, not tablet ready. That is how desperate they are not to get completely left behind. Still others have scrapped their projects altogether, or delayed them.

Even I am at a loss to fully understand what seems to be the fastest adoption of a device of this kind, and how disruptive it is to the market. I can't help but think that resources are being pulled from other projects like phones and computers, to work on pad projects. Is it now imperative that companies produce something for this new category, or can they still afford to ignore, or treat it like a secondary hobby? From where I stand, the tablet has become the must-have item for consumers, and job one for tech companies.

Is the pad revolution for real, or just a flash in the pan?

Thoughts?

Just ran across another article that makes the point even more convincingly.

iPad Adoption Rate Fastest Ever, Passing DVD Player
    Last edited by dandbj13; 10/05/2010 at 12:59 PM.
    ipad is first out the door.. and everyone else is a year late and a dollar short...

and the iPad is really nothing to run out and get either.. doesn't even multi-task
    I have an iPad and love it.

Don't hate on it. Once you try it, u will see why it's so popular.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    I have an iPad and love it.

Don't hate on it. Once you try it, u will see why it's so popular.
    I can see why it's popular without ever having touched it. Kudos to Apple for a job well done. Having tried it a number of times, however, it's not for me or anyone in my family. Would be a colossal waste of money.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I can see why it's popular without ever having touched it. Kudos to Apple for a job well done. Having tried it a number of times, however, it's not for me or anyone in my family. Would be a colossal waste of money.
    I can't tell if you never touched one, or if you have used it several times.

When I purchased the iPad, I had one particular use in mind. Frankly, I didn't know what else it would be useful for. It's many uses only became apparent after using it for a while. It is a bit like my first computer back in the day. I bought it as a glorified typewriter. Now, computers have taken over my life. Who knew?

I'm pretty sure that is what's happen in a lot of cases. People have listened to the nay-sayers, and bought the iPad with very little expectation, only to discover how useful the device really is. It makes them twice the fan they would have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I can't tell if you never touched one, or if you have used it several times.
    Have several friends with one, and have stopped in the Apple Store in Lenox Mall to play with it. It's a really, really well-built and sharp device...that I have no use for. Kind of like a Flip HD camcorder or a Sony Playstation 3.

When I purchased the iPad, I had one particular use in mind. Frankly, I didn't know what else it would be useful for. It's many uses only became apparent after using it for a while. It is a bit like my first computer back in the day. I bought it as a glorified typewriter. Now, computers have taken over my life. Who knew?

I'm pretty sure that is what's happen in a lot of cases. People have listened to the nay-sayers, and bought the iPad with very little expectation, only to discover how useful the device really is. It makes them twice the fan they would have been.
    Yeah, it's funny. My wife and I heard the same thing about the iPod Touch, and when she bought the 16GB 2nd gen one, it never expanded beyond playing her music in the car and at work. She never even updated the software to 3.0, much less iOS 4. We took it on vacation for Christmas of 2008 and tried to use it for web browsing and other apps, but Safari was so buggy back then, it crashed on us multiple times a day. We never bothered with any of its additional functionality again, and now it died due to minor water exposure in her purse.

We'll replace it at some point (maybe even with a 2nd gen iPad? Maybe with a smartphone? Who knows?), but neither of us is in a hurry. She much prefers to Facebook, look at pictures of our toddler and the family, and Skype on the HP Mini 311 I bought her. Most of her work and personal files are on USB thumb drives, so there's that too.....
    Last edited by mikah912; 10/05/2010 at 12:57 PM.
  7.    #7  
    I just updated my original post to include a new article that makes the point even more convincingly.

You can read it here.
    No offense, but not sure what the point is. The iPad is super duper popular? Why yes it is. Disruptive? To some extent, but companies aren't that desperate to just vomit something on the market.

The HP eZeen Android whatever was on the drawing board before iPad as an extension of their pre-existing Touchsmart apps and functionality. LG is choosing to wait until Google makes a more tablet-friendly OS. Motorola is doing the same instead of rushing their Verizon tablet for the holiday season. The only person trying to beat the CES 2011 rush in any sort of substantial fashion is Samsung, which just sold 5 million Galaxy S devices in about the same amount of time. The Tab is merely a supersized version of that phone.

Android will eventually out number iOS phones. Probably will eventually outnumber the tablets and phones running iOS combined. I don't think any of the companies currently successful at selling Android devices thus far need to deviate from their plans.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Disruptive? To some extent, but companies aren't that desperate to just vomit something on the market.
    That is a colorful turn of phrase.

Yes, I see the iPad as disruptive as the iPhone, perhaps more so. It took companies a little while to start announcing iPhone me-too products. Eventually, companies had to change almost everything they thought they knew about cell phones, and come up with something a lot more like the iPhone, than anything they had done before.

Now, companies are feeling the need to announce me-too products a lot sooner. Everyone in the post-iPad, computing world seems desperate and disoriented as they try to react to the iPad. Again, they find themselves having to get on board to a new way of thinking, and the train is leaving the station, moving faster than it ever has.

Frankly, I believe HP bought Palm as much in reaction to the iPad as anything else. That is just a gut feeling; I have no proof. MS is flogging the W7 tablets like never before. RIM suddenly found the tablet religion. Android tablets are being "vomited" up every other day. The manufacturers that have shone restraint are the exceptions, not the rule.

That restraint is most likely due to Google publicly announcing, on the eve of the GTab launch, that Android for tablets is not ready for prime-time. That should have had a more chilling affect than what it seems to have had.

As for my point, I don't exactly know what it is either. Just that iPad mania is upon us. It is everywhere in the mainstream media. It is catching on like a forest fire. The adoption defies even my ability to explain it. We seem to be in the middle of something historic.
    Ehhh, computing - as I see it everyday both in my super corporate giant workplace and at home and with my friends - is unchanged. The iPad is an accessory to, not a replacement for a computer. All my iPad-owning friends use it as such.

It actually did replace something for one, tho - a guitar effects pedal. Of course, his iPhone could have done the same, but still...no seismic effects from anecdotal evidence yet.

That's just so far, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    ipad is first out the door.. and everyone else is a year late and a dollar short...

and the iPad is really nothing to run out and get either.. doesn't even multi-task
    mine does. I'm running 4.2 beta 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    How? I'm on 3.2.2.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
  13.    #13  
    Looks like MS is getting ready to "vomit" up Windows based pads that are not ready for prime time. In this Macworld article, Balmer is quoted as saying:

We’re not going to do a major revamp of Windows 7 for slate applications,” he said. “That will come in the next version.
    That seems to be an acknowledgement that W7 is not particularly suited for a tablet. Such optimizations will come in the next version of Windows. So why on earth are they rushing to get tablets out the door with an OS they all but admit is not ready? That sounds like desperate reactionism to me.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    How? I'm on 3.2.2.
    He has the developer release. I had the first beta, but went back because many apps did not play nice yet. I can't wait to get my hands on the final release.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    He has the developer release. I had the first beta, but went back because many apps did not play nice yet. I can't wait to get my hands on the final release.
    yep, beta 2 is far more stable than beta 1. With so many improvements, I could never go back to the old OS now.
    Even that isn't real multi-tasking. The best you can get out of that is hoping the apps you have open support the save state. The ones that don't frustrate me to no end. Even when they do, iOS multi-tasking is so cumbersome.

I'm holding out for the webOS tablet or at least until I can see hoe well RIM's new tablet really operates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Even that isn't real multi-tasking. The best you can get out of that is hoping the apps you have open support the save state. The ones that don't frustrate me to no end. Even when they do, iOS multi-tasking is so cumbersome.

I'm holding out for the webOS tablet or at least until I can see hoe well RIM's new tablet really operates.
    That's strange, I'm listening to my Pandora app while writing an email right now. Hmm, it must be magic.
    That's strange, I'm listening to my Pandora app while writing an email right now. Hmm, it must be magic.
    Hey, around here if it's not webOS it cant possibly be multi-tasking.

Let's see how long it is for the next poster to claim something like, "Oh yeah? Well webOS' multi-tasking is way better" or similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Hey, around here if it's not webOS it cant possibly be multi-tasking.

Let's see how long it is for the next poster to claim something like, "Oh yeah? Well webOS' multi-tasking is way better" or similar.
    Someone on here once said to me that WebOS' multitasking is superior because cards allow him to work on not one, not two, but three tasks simultaneously despite the left and right-most cards having half of their screens cut off and the center card not accepting any sort of input.
  20.    #20  
    The cry of "real multi-tasking" rings desperate and hollow to me. There is no such thing as "real" multitasking", (RMT).

Even powerful desktops don't have RMT. Try running three or four Photoshop type programs at the same time. You will quickly come to the realization that there are not enough resources for all of them. Something has to give. That is what a smart OS does. It makes the necessary compromises with the program in the foreground, and necessary background processes. At some point, some program has to relinquish its resources for the greater good.

On a mobile device, the compromises are magnified 100 fold. An OS that is not very smart about allocating resources to the various open apps might run out of resources quicker, and cause massive slow-downs and error messages; Sprint Pre, anyone?

Apple is more honest about those compromises, and has engineered iOS to do a better job of managing resources across multiple open apps. Their multitasking solution is as "real" as anyone's. It is arguably better, as it does not bring the system to its knees.

One might argue that wOS has a better app switcher. One might even say that app switcher metaphor is highly derivative of mobile Safari. But that is a different matter.

The question for the end user is which system is more efficient. wOS allows you to move between apps, one app at a time. iOS gives you four at a time. Telling iPhone users they do not have RMT just sounds silly to the iOS user that is happily multitasking. If your platform's one claim to fame relies on a highly technical argument that no one can understand in the real world, you should probably find something else to boast about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast