Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The cry of "real multi-tasking" rings desperate and hollow to me. There is no such thing as "real" multitasking", (RMT).

    Even powerful desktops don't have RMT. Try running three or four Photoshop type programs at the same time. You will quickly come to the realization that there are not enough resources for all of them.
    Your living in the past. With multi-processor/multi-core desktops becoming commonplace, multi-tasking is truly "real" on desktops.

    With quadcore OMAP processors already under development, it's only a matter of time before smaller devices begin truly multi-tasking.

    Still, if you look up the definition of multi-tasking, it's generally accepted in the industry that the rapid task switching that goes on in single-processor/single-core devices is still accepted as multi-tasking.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Your living in the past. With multi-processor/multi-core desktops becoming commonplace, multi-tasking is truly "real" on desktops.
    I have a 27" i5 quad core iMac with 4GB ram. I'm not living in the past. I invite you to open PS, VMWare Fusion with W7 (allocate 2GB of ram), and Logic Studio with a multi-track recording. My friend, you will soon see that logical compromises still have to take place on powerful desktops as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    YWith quadcore OMAP processors already under development, it's only a matter of time before smaller devices begin truly multi-tasking.
    Let's revisit this topic when that happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Still, if you look up the definition of multi-tasking, it's generally accepted in the industry that the rapid task switching that goes on in single-processor/single-core devices is still accepted as multi-tasking.
    That, sir, is exactly my point. Every phone running a modern OS already does REAL multitasking. Some do it while managing resources better than others. Some do it with fewer compromises to the end-user, at the cost of resource handling. Pick your poison. No implementation is more REAL than the next. I don't believe we are saying different things. This might be a heated agreement.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I have a 27" i5 quad core iMac with 4GB ram. I'm not living in the past. I invite you to open PS, VMWare Fusion with W7 (allocate 2GB of ram), and Logic Studio with a multi-track recording. My friend, you will soon see that logical compromises still have to take place on powerful desktops as well.
    Your machine is underpowered - shouldn't you use a powerful desktop example for this? Each core should have a bare minimum of 2 GB of RAM. I recommend 4 GB per core minimum if you're trying to do any computationally intense activity (like real-time rendering). I'm pretty sure the boxes we have at work (and I have at home) with their 16 cores (across 4 processors) and 96GB RAM would have no problems with your simple little use case. Ya gotta match all your resources together if you're going to get all the oomph you want out of a system. Your system is short of RAM, but then iMacs never were designed for heavy lifting.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That, sir, is exactly my point. Every phone running a modern OS already does REAL multitasking. Some do it while managing resources better than others. Some do it with fewer compromises to the end-user, at the cost of resource handling. Pick your poison. No implementation is more REAL than the next. I don't believe we are saying different things. This might be a heated agreement.
    No disagreement from me on this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions