Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so I've been due for a new phone since june and my pre (which i love) is just starting to act up royaly (maybe from the milllion patches I have on), but i was looking into a blackberry bold and i was wondering how coem no one ever considers it? it's a full keyboard. basic apps that we all want (shazam, google map/latitude/ foursquare, etc) and great battery life and autofocus camera....how come blackberry is outta the running?
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/04/2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Language - keep it PG-13
    the OS is pretty much the reason. It feels old, and maybe when they hit BB OS 7 it will be better.
    Is it crazy that I'm considering a Blackberry BOLD?
    . . . Wait for it!. . . Wait for it!. . . Wait for it!. . . Wait for it!. . . Wait for it! . . . YES!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    . . . Wait for it!. . . Wait for it!. . . Wait for it!. . . Wait for it!. . . Wait for it! . . . YES!
    Where is it...Where is it ~ maybe I miss it. :-D

Anyway, to the op... If those are your reason then I suggest waiting for the new webos phone.(IMO)
    Si
    Yes you are crazy. The bold is lacking a touchscreen and the OS can't keep up with the current offerings from Google, Apple, Palm, and even Symbian.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    If you're gunna get a phone on AT&T you migt as well get the iphone 4. If you're paying 30 a month you should at least get a phone that takes advantage of it.
    Depends what you need. If you are fine with no touch screen and a lackluster mobile web experience then go for it. Its a very stable OS and great at what it does. Just make sure you know what you want and you know what the OS is best at and what it falters at.
    yes, yes, and yes. Even the prople at crackberry would tell you that.
    I got a bold and a pre.. I love both my phones... Pre for the browser, games and some apps.. Blackberry wins for the hardware, keyboard, and more options plus bbm! My pre is falling apart. Cracks on the usb and screen the keyboard be missing letters sometimes. while my bold is 11 months old and still like new! Just try it for a few days and see if you like it. But if you love webos than just wait for a few months to see if palm announce anything. Oh and I love spell check on my blackberry
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I got a bold and a pre.. I love both my phones... Pre for the browser, games and some apps.. Blackberry wins for the hardware, keyboard, and more options plus bbm! My pre is falling apart. Cracks on the usb and screen the keyboard be missing letters sometimes. while my bold is 11 months old and still like new! Just try it for a few days and see if you like it. But if you love webos than just wait for a few months to see if palm announce anything. Oh and I love spell check on my blackberry
    True story.

Wish android/WebOS would copy this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I agree that RIM makes some great hardware, but it's tough to compare a slider to a regular qwerty portrait phone like the bold. The Pixi is a great comparison and is really well built.

I have a feeling Palm will release a Bold like form factor with a touchscreen in the future.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I don't know much about the bold itself but I wouldn't call you crazy just for switching to a BB. According to the latest market numbers, even though all platforms lost marketshare (except google), BB gained somewhere around 1.2M new users last qtr. So, not too crazy from a market point of view.

For the Bold specifically and BB in general, I agree with Brian Mantis' advice in post #9 above.
    I have both a Pre & a Bold (for work) and to be honest, it really depends on what you are going to be using it for. As a work device, I would say Blackberry totally has the edge but as a personal device I don't think I'd ever use a Blackberry in its current form.
    On this forum most will say yes. I would not be surprised if they say the same on the BB forum.
    I think the Pre is a great business device. In addition to Active Sync, the webkit browser included with webOS does a great job with internal web apps used at my company. All I need is VPN (we will get this in webOS 2.0) and it will be perfect.

As we see more companies move off native apps to web apps this will become more and more important. RIM is on the right track with the webkit browser included with BBOS 6 but they have a lot of work to do to get the performance on par with the other webkit browsers on other mobile platforms.
    Remember the old phones that did not have a touch screen? It was called a "Bold".

Why for the love of all that is good would you consider falling back so far?

Even CrackBerry would tell you not to buy a Bold.

- Craig
    I am going to weigh in here as another person who carries both a Pre (mine) on Sprint and a Bold (corporate assigned phone) on AT&T. I have the Bold 9000, not the 9700, so my comments are based on this particular device and mix of carriers.

Here is the good points to the Bold. No one does enterprise mail better than RIM. And the keyboard on the Bold is hands down the best keyboard found on any phone. Add to the mix the excellent autocorrect functionality, and if your life is sending lots of emails and messaging, you can just get more done on a Blackberry. Also most companies support RIM in the enterprise.

Now to the bad...notice that most of my points refer to office productivity and enterprise mail. As a work phone, the Blackberry is great. But that is their bread and butter, and so my first question to you is in what context do you use your Pre, and how would you be using the Bold? Because as a personal phone...the BB platform is lackluster. Enterprise email is great, but when you need to have multiple accounts on one device, it becomes a mess! I made the mistake of installing support for Yahoo mail on mine, and it dumped all messages (both my work and my Yahoo) in one inbox! It was a disaster! The camera is horrible on the Bold (and don't get me started on video...ugh), and access to multimedia apps is cumbersome and not intuitive, making it a a/v player not desireable.

And I want to touch on the whole hardware reliability thing. I have had both my Pre and my Bold replaced once, so I am on my second device on both. The Pre got stuck in headset mode, and likely did not need to be replaced. My Bold had to be replaced due to a trackball that quit (as well as some screen issues). My current Pre is flawless, and runs like a champ despite a myriad of patches and mods, and being overclocked to 1 ghz. My Bold? Trackball # 2 only works intermittently, and it locks up, spontaneously reboots, or goes to a white screen requiring a battery pull to fix.

The battery life? My Bold is usually dead about 2 hours before my Pre conks out. Both get a lot of use during the typical workday, but I feel I reach for the Pre more often. So I have to say the Bold will not impress on battery life either.

Web browsing on the Bold is borderline painful. I never use this device for browsing. The combo of the squashed screen and the horrid browser makes this like fingers on a chalkboard. The new Blackberry OS is supposed to make this a lot better, but I have not had a chance to get any first hand impressions.

And the most important for me is the carrier. My Bold is the reigning king of crappy reception...to the point where I cringe at the thought of actually using it as a phone. Dropped calls are the norm, not the exception. And voice quality is all over the map...sometimes I can be heard crystal clear, other times people say I sound like I am talking underwater. I rarely can get consistent 3G connectivity...my phone seems to live in 1x land. Not that it matters, not like I would ever use this device for browsing or downloading anything.

Now the 9700 may be a much better device (at least no trackball...that is a plus!), but for me the Bold is a great email device...and that is about it.

Not that the Pre does not have it's shortcomings. The lack of Audible support, no support for Citrix, limited corporate connectivity options to Lotus Notes, etc. may deter some of those who need such features. So if the Pre is not for you, and AT&T is your carrier of choice, then I am with voodoochild, get an iPhone. But if the Pre meets your needs, try doctoring your phone and see if that cures your current ills.
    yes, as a matter of fact, you are crazy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast