Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr3yGhOsT View Post
    I am going to weigh in here as another person who carries both a Pre (mine) on Sprint and a Bold (corporate assigned phone) on AT&T. I have the Bold 9000, not the 9700, so my comments are based on this particular device and mix of carriers.

Here is the good points to the Bold. No one does enterprise mail better than RIM. And the keyboard on the Bold is hands down the best keyboard found on any phone. Add to the mix the excellent autocorrect functionality, and if your life is sending lots of emails and messaging, you can just get more done on a Blackberry. Also most companies support RIM in the enterprise.

Now to the bad...notice that most of my points refer to office productivity and enterprise mail. As a work phone, the Blackberry is great. But that is their bread and butter, and so my first question to you is in what context do you use your Pre, and how would you be using the Bold? Because as a personal phone...the BB platform is lackluster. Enterprise email is great, but when you need to have multiple accounts on one device, it becomes a mess! I made the mistake of installing support for Yahoo mail on mine, and it dumped all messages (both my work and my Yahoo) in one inbox! It was a disaster! The camera is horrible on the Bold (and don't get me started on video...ugh), and access to multimedia apps is cumbersome and not intuitive, making it a a/v player not desireable.

And I want to touch on the whole hardware reliability thing. I have had both my Pre and my Bold replaced once, so I am on my second device on both. The Pre got stuck in headset mode, and likely did not need to be replaced. My Bold had to be replaced due to a trackball that quit (as well as some screen issues). My current Pre is flawless, and runs like a champ despite a myriad of patches and mods, and being overclocked to 1 ghz. My Bold? Trackball # 2 only works intermittently, and it locks up, spontaneously reboots, or goes to a white screen requiring a battery pull to fix.

The battery life? My Bold is usually dead about 2 hours before my Pre conks out. Both get a lot of use during the typical workday, but I feel I reach for the Pre more often. So I have to say the Bold will not impress on battery life either.

Web browsing on the Bold is borderline painful. I never use this device for browsing. The combo of the squashed screen and the horrid browser makes this like fingers on a chalkboard. The new Blackberry OS is supposed to make this a lot better, but I have not had a chance to get any first hand impressions.

And the most important for me is the carrier. My Bold is the reigning king of crappy reception...to the point where I cringe at the thought of actually using it as a phone. Dropped calls are the norm, not the exception. And voice quality is all over the map...sometimes I can be heard crystal clear, other times people say I sound like I am talking underwater. I rarely can get consistent 3G connectivity...my phone seems to live in 1x land. Not that it matters, not like I would ever use this device for browsing or downloading anything.

Now the 9700 may be a much better device (at least no trackball...that is a plus!), but for me the Bold is a great email device...and that is about it.

Not that the Pre does not have it's shortcomings. The lack of Audible support, no support for Citrix, limited corporate connectivity options to Lotus Notes, etc. may deter some of those who need such features. So if the Pre is not for you, and AT&T is your carrier of choice, then I am with voodoochild, get an iPhone. But if the Pre meets your needs, try doctoring your phone and see if that cures your current ills.
    Besides being able to create meetings and invite people on the Bold, and the wonderful auto-correct spell check features, what else can the Bold do that makes it a better corporate e-mail device? I have 2 Exchange accounts and 2 Gmail accounts setup on my Pre. Can the Bold do that?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    you can't take alot of thesecoomments seriously since we are more hardcore tech guys who like new toys and are guys that will most likely buy a couple phones a year when thwy all basically do the same thing.

blackberries are the best messaging phone, lots of teens since have a curve and just shoot out texts and listen to music all day, if you're not gonna browse the net of your phone or deal with games blackberries are great phones, syable, long battery and great keyboards.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I wish my pre and a better auto correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    you can't take alot of thesecoomments seriously since we are more hardcore tech guys who like new toys and are guys that will most likely buy a couple phones a year when thwy all basically do the same thing.

blackberries are the best messaging phone, lots of teens since have a curve and just shoot out texts and listen to music all day, if you're not gonna browse the net of your phone or deal with games blackberries are great phones, syable, long battery and great keyboards.
    Again, what makes them the best messaging phones? BBM? Battery life? The keyboard?

I believe that Blackberries used to be king of e-mail and messaging, but the other platforms have caught up. Gmail on Android is amazing, the Pre's e-mail with the unified inbox and the ability to have multiple exchange accounts along with IMAP and pop support works very well. Threaded text messaging in webOS is great. Integrated IM support in webOS is great. iOS 4's e-mail is a big step up from version 3.

The fact of the matter is the way RIM pushes e-mail is not as unique as it used to be. Sure it helps with battery life, but using a surrogate server is the old way of doing things. It also adds another point of failure, which many Blackberry users know too well when their e-mail stops working.

BBM is probably the biggest draw for a lot of people. It's tough to leave the platform when all your friends are using BBM. Hell will freeze over before RIM allows other platforms to use the BBM network.

To sum it up the so called "strengths" of the Blackberry platform are becoming a thing of the past. In my company (A fortune 500) we have seen the number of Blackberries shrink while Active Sync users are blowing up. The reason? Active Sync phones do what they need and allow them to have a phone that is great for business AND do everything else better than an Blackberry.

RIM is changing this with their new OS but they have a long road ahead before we start seeing this new OS on Blackberries. They stagnated way too long and now they are in the same position Palm was in 6 years ago. I hope they do get their act together because competition is good and if they release a phone I like I will buy it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Depends. I chose the Pre because the operating system/form factor provided the stuff I wanted, which is a Palm OS emulator, a real keyboard, real 3D games like the iPhone, not Android :P, and a touchscreen. Plus the webOS interface.

If you're into a "Social" device and "Always connected" is your mantra, and you don't care about touchscreens or 3D games or anything that Palm does better, go for it. As a former BB owner, I'm confident that a BB is still a great "Always connected" device that no other manufacturer has really beat yet. For starters, Palm doesn't even have push notifications. The operating system is a bit clunky but as you say all the apps you care about are there, and the keyboard can't be beat.

If you think a Blackberry will make you happier than your Pre, go for it. Either a Bold or a Torch are great choices in my opinion.
    The BB Bold is an outdated joke. The BB Torch now, that's a different story. Got my hands on one the other day & gotta say that things pretty damned impressive. Best offering from BB ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ugriffin View Post
    Depends. I chose the Pre because the operating system/form factor provided the stuff I wanted, which is a Palm OS emulator, a real keyboard, real 3D games like the iPhone, not Android :P, and a touchscreen. Plus the webOS interface.

If you're into a "Social" device and "Always connected" is your mantra, and you don't care about touchscreens or 3D games or anything that Palm does better, go for it. As a former BB owner, I'm confident that a BB is still a great "Always connected" device that no other manufacturer has really beat yet. For starters, Palm doesn't even have push notifications. The operating system is a bit clunky but as you say all the apps you care about are there, and the keyboard can't be beat.

If you think a Blackberry will make you happier than your Pre, go for it. Either a Bold or a Torch are great choices in my opinion.
    Who needs push notifications when you have IMAP idle? Sure the BB method is better on battery life but push e-mail works great on the Pre. Whether it's Gmail or Exchange.

What other services does the BBOS use for push notifications?
    yes yes yes! i cant stand BB owners ... they cant put there phone away for longer then two minutes ... if you wanna be one of those people then go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by gut46 View Post
    so I've been due for a new phone since june and my pre (which i love) is just starting to act up royaly (maybe from the milllion patches I have on), but i was looking into a blackberry bold and i was wondering how coem no one ever considers it? it's a full keyboard. basic apps that we all want (shazam, google map/latitude/ foursquare, etc) and great battery life and autofocus camera....how come blackberry is outta the running?
    It's not crazy at all. Just keep in mind what you need to use the Blackberry for. If you type a lot of messages or emails, a Blackberry with a physical keyboard is important. If you need to use the Blackberry for internet searching, you may find yourself in a world of hurt with the default, stock browser. If battery life and minimal data usage are important factors, Blackberry may be good for you.

I have an iPhone 4, Blackberry Bold 9700 and a Blackberry 9530. Believe it or not, I can't decide amongst the three which one I'd most like to drive my car over. Each has its pluses and minuses. Because of that indecision, I have all three.
    The BB has a sucky web browser and a small app catalog BUT:

GMail and corporate email support works very well.
    Battery life is way better than most other smart phones.
    It has the best keyboard
    Much better phone performance on AT&T than other phones I have used including the iPhone.
    BBM is the best messaging app on any smartphone (assuming the other party has a BB)
    The PIM software is better than any other smartphone and it still supports desktop sync
    It has visual voice mail.
    Its great for Facebook messaging.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The BB has a sucky web browser and a small app catalog BUT:

GMail and corporate email support works very well.
    Battery life is way better than most other smart phones.
    It has the best keyboard
    Much better phone performance on AT&T than other phones I have used including the iPhone.
    BBM is the best messaging app on any smartphone (assuming the other party has a BB)
    The PIM software is better than any other smartphone and it still supports desktop sync
    It has visual voice mail.
    Its great for Facebook messaging.

As someone who has activated both a Tour and a Bold and then returned each within a week over the past year, I disagree. I have a TouchPro2 and a Pre and I prefer either over a BB.
    Gmail and Exchange are both excellent on the TP2 and quite good on Pre.
    Battery life is better on BB, but a spare battery or a little juice in the car or evening during dinner on heavy use days is no big deal.
    The TP2 keyboard is wonderful after a quick period of use and when combined with the touch screen, a nice HTC keyboard and a touch screen is the most efficient for accurate emails with quick copy/paste using a combo of the screen and keyboard shortcuts. My point is not that the TP2 is great, but the form factor of it is terrific, as will be demonstrated by the upcoming HTC 7 Pro. I think the Pre 2 will be just as good with the speedy processor and keyboard/touch screen combo effiiency over a non-touchscreen BB. The BB OS seems so inefficient coming from touch screens in my experience, and I use them for a ton of work travel and long emails.
    Both the Bold and Tour have had worse reception than my TP2 and Pre during a lot of travel. None are problematic, but the BB reputation as the best "phone" is not what it was since a lot of others have improved.
    Messaging on any of them is great and the touch screen/keyboard combo is more efficient as previously stated in my experience. The trackball and trackpad is just not as easy when you're comfortable with all of these form factors.
    PIM on the TP2 is great with full Outlook features and the efficiency of touch screen copy/paste edits. Again, TP2 is not the best phone, but the form factor is better than a non-touch phone IMO.
    I've not used visual voice mail, so no opinion there.
    Facebook is not my priority and I use a laptop too much to worry about it that much on my phones.

I really think that Pre 2 will be quite impressive in person with the speed and build quality improvements. Let's hope so. The WP 7 Pro should be pretty sweet as well. I'm even interested in the Droid Pro since it has the nice qwerty and touchscreen combo. Hopefully Palm will build a similar form factor and I wish they'd bring back the Treo 755p or 800w keyboards. Those were the best IMO.

We all have opinions based on personal needs. Those are mine.

p.s. the browser is atrocious on BB. No two ways about it. The Pre is quite good, Pre 2 browser should be that much better. The TP2 with Opera Mini is wonderful.
    Last edited by dtreo; 10/28/2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Forgot something...the browser.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Again, what makes them the best messaging phones? BBM? Battery life? The keyboard?

I believe that Blackberries used to be king of e-mail and messaging, but the other platforms have caught up. Gmail on Android is amazing, the Pre's e-mail with the unified inbox and the ability to have multiple exchange accounts along with IMAP and pop support works very well. Threaded text messaging in webOS is great. Integrated IM support in webOS is great. iOS 4's e-mail is a big step up from version 3.

The fact of the matter is the way RIM pushes e-mail is not as unique as it used to be. Sure it helps with battery life, but using a surrogate server is the old way of doing things. It also adds another point of failure, which many Blackberry users know too well when their e-mail stops working.

BBM is probably the biggest draw for a lot of people. It's tough to leave the platform when all your friends are using BBM. Hell will freeze over before RIM allows other platforms to use the BBM network.

To sum it up the so called "strengths" of the Blackberry platform are becoming a thing of the past. In my company (A fortune 500) we have seen the number of Blackberries shrink while Active Sync users are blowing up. The reason? Active Sync phones do what they need and allow them to have a phone that is great for business AND do everything else better than an Blackberry.

RIM is changing this with their new OS but they have a long road ahead before we start seeing this new OS on Blackberries. They stagnated way too long and now they are in the same position Palm was in 6 years ago. I hope they do get their act together because competition is good and if they release a phone I like I will buy it.

Agree.
    One thing that I've noticed is that nearly all of my colleagues that used BB and switched have gone to iPhone though, even with it's limitations. I'm pining for a Pre 2 now based upon the PhoneScoop review and video. A Droid Pro form factor running WebOS 2.0 would be really something to consider too.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    You'd better go for torch rather than bold
    Quote Originally Posted by merzy View Post
    You'd better go for torch rather than bold
    I'm curious why you would suggest the Torch over the Bold. My read from the reviews is that it is underpowered and buggy. Although not a sure-press device, the Torch reminds me of my Storm 9530, a device I would not recommend.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I don't think that's crazy. The Bold is a great device ... fantastic keyboard, BBMessenger can't be beat, good battery life, reliable, global capabilities, endless options for customizing notifications. The downside is some of the BB apps are priced a lot higher than they are on other platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    yes, as a matter of fact, you are crazy.
    i'm with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    As someone who has activated both a Tour and a Bold and then returned each within a week over the past year, I disagree. I have a TouchPro2 and a Pre and I prefer either over a BB.
    Gmail and Exchange are both excellent on the TP2 and quite good on Pre.
    Battery life is better on BB, but a spare battery or a little juice in the car or evening during dinner on heavy use days is no big deal.
    The TP2 keyboard is wonderful after a quick period of use and when combined with the touch screen, a nice HTC keyboard and a touch screen is the most efficient for accurate emails with quick copy/paste using a combo of the screen and keyboard shortcuts. My point is not that the TP2 is great, but the form factor of it is terrific, as will be demonstrated by the upcoming HTC 7 Pro.

PIM on the TP2 is great with full Outlook features and the efficiency of touch screen copy/paste edits. Again, TP2 is not the best phone, but the form factor is better than a non-touch phone IMO.
    I've not used visual voice mail, so no opinion there.
    Facebook is not my priority and I use a laptop too much to worry about it that much on my phones.
    My wife recently changed jobs and had to switch from a BB to a TP2. She hates the TP2 and so do I (I have to help her with it). Its big, heavy and can't be used one handed. The touch screen sucks. Much worse than the hardware though is the awful OS made even worse by the HTC crap on top. PIM support is good on WM 6.5 but that is about all that's good about that now obsolete OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gut46 View Post
    so I've been due for a new phone since june and my pre (which i love) is just starting to act up royaly (maybe from the milllion patches I have on), but i was looking into a blackberry bold and i was wondering how coem no one ever considers it? it's a full keyboard. basic apps that we all want (shazam, google map/latitude/ foursquare, etc) and great battery life and autofocus camera....how come blackberry is outta the running?

This is a webos site, why would anyone be recommending or considering a blackberry OS or phone?

*Opens the door and points down the hallway to Crackberry*
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbriar511 View Post
    This is a webos site, why would anyone be recommending or considering a blackberry OS or phone?

*Opens the door and points down the hallway to Crackberry*
    This is also a cross platform forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12