1.    #1  
    Gizmodo HQ Video Throwdown: How Usable Is Nokia's New N8?

Nokia is in trouble. In the US, the brand's gone from ubiquitous to the stuff of tech nostalgia. Its next (last?) stab at American relevance? The N8. We pitted the N8's usability against two rivals, and the results aren't pretty.

To conduct our highly-nonscientific exercise in interface usability, we recruited two savvy smartphoners from around the Gizmodo office to go head to head (to head) with the N8. After familiarizing myself with the N8 for an ample amount of time, our trio competed in three simple smartphone tasks—sending the same email, mapping directions to the same place, and taking a photo of the same object—we wanted to see which device is the king of usability mountain. Spoiler alert: not Nokia's. The hardware itself is decent, but in terms of interface design—whoo boy. Again, keep in mind that this is by no means an objective benchmark or actual review—but Nokia has clearly dug itself into a design hole, and it's a problem made flagrant with some context.

But we'll let the battle footage speak for itself.

-------------------------------------

I tried comparing these activities with my Pre, and my first run averaged between first and second place.. How does your phone perform?

Oh, and I'm OC'd to only 600MHz.
    Thanks and yikes that is slow and they call that top of the line? Sorli...
    Gizmodo and Engadget hate Nokia anyway and would be happy to see them go bankrupt.

This is probably like the Engadget photo comparison that "proved" that the iP4's cam is better than the N8's, which has 12MP, a Zeiss lens, and the biggest sensor chip ever in a phone. If you check around a bit, all other comparisons show that the N8 has the dramatically better cam. Which is obvious.

Maybe it's subconscious, but these guys HATE Nokia. Of course it's never going to win anything of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Gizmodo and Engadget hate Nokia anyway and would be happy to see them go bankrupt.

This is probably like the Engadget photo comparison that "proved" that the iP4's cam is better than the N8's, which has 12MP, a Zeiss lens, and the biggest sensor chip ever in a phone. If you check around a bit, all other comparisons show that the N8 has the dramatically better cam. Which is obvious.

Maybe it's subconscious, but these guys HATE Nokia. Of course it's never going to win anything of them.
    Are you kidding? Why would any tech outlet hate anything without it being a sub par product. What other motivation is there?
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    Are you kidding? Why would any tech outlet hate anything without it being a sub par product. What other motivation is there?
    You're either being sarcastic or really naive! The 2 aforementioned blogs really despise Nokia for some reason. Nokia owns over 40% of the WORLD smartphone market with its Symbian OS, I was a user myself for 5 years. Next to WebOS, Symbian has great multitasking, and runs on extremely low resources. Nokia hardware is also ALWAYS superior in build quality to most of their competition. I don't normally defend Nokia anymore but any article by Giz or Engadget should always be read with a pinch of salt.
    Lets note that Nokia NEVER puts out their best stuff in america. Engadget's/Gizmodo's readership is primarily American.

What was the last quality smartphone Nokia released in america?
    Additionally, i really hate when people say an entity hates something.

How can engadget hate a company? Are you saying AOL hates Noika? Are you saying one reviewer hates Nokia? Are you saying that every single reviewer there hate Nokia?
    AOL may "hate" Nokia -or- couldn't care less about Nokia but has a vested interest in other companies succeeding.

To prove my point, next time you find an article where Nokia is being bashed - especially one where Nokia is bashed with very direct remarks at their inferiority to, say, Apple - just for kicks, try and post a comment saying something to the extent of i_maq's post:
    Nokia owns over 40% of the WORLD smartphone market with its Symbian OS, I was a user myself for 5 years. Next to WebOS, Symbian has great multitasking, and runs on extremely low resources. Nokia hardware is also ALWAYS superior in build quality to most of their competition
    and see how long it takes them to delete the comment. If you then post something to the extent of "why did you delete my comment? It wasn't offensive, I just think Nokia doesn't suck as much as you say", see how long it takes them to delete your account. Hasn't happened to me personally - HAS happened to a bunch of guys I know.

Call me paranoid here, but Engadget really seems a bit biased to me, even if you don't like me saying they "hate" Nokia. If you're trying to split hairs over the emotion of hate, I'll gladly drop the word and just say that Engadget is biased against them, and without any deeper knowledge of the situation there, I'd assume it's for commercial reasons handed down from the parent company.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 10/05/2010 at 01:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    There's one particular "writer" on Engadget called Thomas Ricker whose every post on Nokia until the last month or so ALWAYS had some kind of dig at the company, I don't know what they did to him that he was so unprofessionally rude about them! I made a few comments about his bias against Nokia bordering on unprofessional and eventually they took him off Nokia articles, he's now started writing them again with a much gentler tone. Obviously Topolsky had to have a word with Ricker and get him to calm the hell down! I made quite a few pro-Nokia comments on Engadget, now they've got my twitter posting account on moderation, i.e. I can't post anything without it being moderated first, and all I ever did was post statistics and rational arguments, no flaming or fanboyism!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I would think Gizmodo would hate Apple more. After all, Apple tried to get the Gizmodo editor thrown into jail. They also no longer get invited to Apple press events.