Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    $50B in cash on hand... wow, just wow...

The Associated Press: Apple may surpass Exxon as most valuable company

Here's a clip, the rest of the story at the link

Apple may surpass Exxon as most valuable company

By DAVID K. RANDALL (AP) 11 hours ago
    NEW YORK Here's something to think about the next time you pick up a call on your iPhone: the device you're holding may soon be the signature product of the most valuable company in the world.
    Thanks to its line of gadgets that combine the ability to make calls, send email, read books, watch movies and listen to music, Apple Inc. is on a path to overtake Exxon Mobil Corp. as the largest company by market capitalization.
    While Apple CEO Steve Jobs will no doubt be happy about his new perch atop the business world, there's more at stake here than mere bragging rights. As soon as the total value of the company's shares edges above Exxon's, Apple will take over the top spot in the Standard and Poor's 500, the market index used by most professional money managers.
    That means that billions of dollars invested in funds that track the index will have to shift their holdings to reflect Apple's new weighting. Exxon, meanwhile, may see its share price fall from the same effect. That slide could be accelerated by hedge funds and technical traders who make bets based on the rebalancing of major indexes and would be primed to short the shares of Exxon.
    Just as important as the day-to-day flow of dollars among investors, the move will also reflect how the market, and the overall economy, continues to evolve. The list of companies that have sat atop the S&P 500 is short. For years, the top spot rotated among stalwart industrials like General Electric Co., General Motors, and AT&T Inc., before that company was broken up as a result of an antitrust suit in 1984. Twenty years ago, IBM Corp. held the No. 1 position, narrowly beating out Exxon.
    Low cost, high profit margin and a hot streak of devices that go past just useful but instead into status symbol level.... = huge company.
    Don't forget, satisfied customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Don't forget, satisfied customers.
    Satisfied, repeat customers willing to purchase devices on a rapid technology turnaround cycle. There's a lot in this story for other companies to learn about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Satisfied, repeat customers willing to purchase devices on a rapid technology turnaround cycle. There's a lot in this story for other companies to learn about.
    agreed. Which has confused me if i could be totally honest.

Note this quick story is all just my experiences so it doesn't go for the population obviously...

but i always felt the older iPods were not built all that well....i know a few people's who HDD failed and other issues like that. But the lack of knowledge for buyers on other players in the market, always led people to just upgrade to the new iPod.

I mean, the reason I actually first bought my Zune was because my iPod classic was just giving me issues and the sound quality was worse than my old old 20 gig iPod (whose HDD failed)....so i tried another player.

But i honestly think, in the minds of the mass consumer, Apple gets a bit of a pass if anything breaks on their apple product.

Why that is? I dunno....here in NYC Apple has reached status symbol level of fans. If you don't have an iPod there is something wrong with you, or the fact they have regular joe schomo's buying a new iPhone every year. Like, normal consumers who barely know about tech companies and such, waiting in line to be the first to own an iPhone 4.

Incredible really. The question is how long will this Apple high last? I feel all companies go through cycles. When Steve Jobs steps down....will Apple have it still? They didn't once already.....is the Steve Jobs culture injected enough in its current employees/corporate structure that what put Apple back on the map remains with the company and not just Steve Jobs?
    So, if really have all this money "in hand", why has offer only 600kk for Palm, and lost to HP?

Best Regards...
    I keep buying new iPods.... why?

Because I am addicted to tech.... good for Apple.... I guess.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Two lessons HP could learn from Apple... but won't:

1. The end user is the only customer that matters. Apple has made billions selling direct to the end user getting rid of all the middle-men. Look at everyone they had to tick off. They have given the finger to carriers, entertainment studios and content providers, the enterprise, and the whole retail mechanism.

They make their own deals that dis-intermediate the carriers. They wrestle with governments and local laws. They build their own stores so their products can be priced, displayed, and sold their way. They constantly fight with hollywood, and seem to be the only company standing up to them. They do this all in the name of creating a better experience for the end user. It shows, and the end user rewards them with purchases and loyalty.

2. Don't play someone else's game. When Apple makes a new product, you don't get the feeling that they had a competitor's product in front of them as a template. Apple is not afraid to go their own way and do their own thing.

What were the table-stakes for cell phones before the iPhone. The answer, no one cares. Apple wasn't trying to be like anyone or anything that came before them. The iPhone was a huge risk. It didn't have the table-stakes that other phones brought to the table. It didn't matter. The iPhone became the template. Apple defined the table-stakes thereafter.

When they advertise, they do not offer discounts, rebates, or bogof specials. You get the sense in their ads that they are not trying to compete with anyone. They are not saying they are better or cheaper than anyone else.

Other companies define themselves by what Apple is or isn't. Every product that comes out these days is defined by the Apple product they want to dethrone. This industry-wide Apple fetish has to stop if people want to be considered for who they are, rather than playing Apple's game.

Can HP do any of that? No! HP will not stand up to Hollywood, Verizon, IT managers, Retailers, or anyone else they are beholden to. The end user will never be HP's true customer. Their products will always reflect that. HP would have to fundamentally change who they are to make that change.

The only thing they can control is allowing Apple to define their products. It seems they won't stop doing that either. Eventhough they bought Voodoo, they best line of notebooks started out a straight-up MBP KIRF. Now, they want to make a different kind of tablet than what they are used to making. They want something more like an iPad than a Slate. Where did that inspiration come from. They desperately want to run with the cool kids. They have forgotten who they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    So, if really have all this money "in hand", why has offer only 600kk for Palm, and lost to HP?
    Apple didn't need Palm. Apple was simply paying for some intellectual property and patents Palm had collected over the years to bolster their own considerable IP and patent stable. Also, buying Palm would've gotten a competing OS off the streets and allowed Apple to strip out the good bits and keep them for iOS. Palm wasn't worth more than $600M to a company like Apple.

HP, on the other hand, saw webOS as a critical element into a new business arena. Apparently it was critical enough for them to pay twice what Apple was willing to pay. Once HP had their new property in hand, they began performing the following 3 step program to bring them completely into the fold: 1. Buy Palm, get webOS. 2. Keep Palm around while you learn everything you need to know about webOS. 3. Drop the Palm moniker from your lineup and rename webOS to HP-OS.

Ask Rahul Sood - that's essentially what HP did with Voodoo PC.
    Ask Michael Capellas - that's essentially what HP did with Compaq.
    Ask Ron Rittenmeyer - that's essentially what HP is doing to former EDS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Apple didn't need Palm. Apple was simply paying for some intellectual property and patents Palm had collected over the years to bolster their own considerable IP and patent stable. Also, buying Palm would've gotten a competing OS off the streets and allowed Apple to strip out the good bits and keep them for iOS. Palm wasn't worth more than $600M to a company like Apple.

HP, on the other hand, saw webOS as a critical element into a new business arena. Apparently it was critical enough for them to pay twice what Apple was willing to pay. Once HP had their new property in hand, they began performing the following 3 step program to bring them completely into the fold: 1. Buy Palm, get webOS. 2. Keep Palm around while you learn everything you need to know about webOS. 3. Drop the Palm moniker from your lineup and rename webOS to HP-OS.

Ask Rahul Sood - that's essentially what HP did with Voodoo PC.
    Ask Michael Capellas - that's essentially what HP did with Compaq.
    Ask Ron Rittenmeyer - that's essentially what HP is doing to former EDS.

Not to nitpick, but Compaq (the name) is still in use by HP 10 years after. There is no reason to think that Palm will be any different. Thus the Palm Pad name (which I will be really surprised if the drop it now).

No, I think it will be something like PalmPad with WebOs with the HP logo. Just as I am sure the toaster will say PalmToast with WebOs.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Not to nitpick, but Compaq (the name) is still in use by HP 10 years after. There is no reason to think that Palm will be any different. Thus the Palm Pad name (which I will be really surprised if the drop it now).
    Your nitpick is pretty pointless. Have you even been to the Compaq site? There are 3 devices on it labeled as Compaq devices (one laptop, 1 desktop, 1 all-in-one) - and they're home computing only. When you click on them, you are transferred to an HP site to see their specs or buy them. Additionally, all the support is on an HP site. If you choose to look at business machines, you are immediately taken to an HP site. Compare that to the dozens of devices from several categories offered with the HP brand. Not to nitpick, but the word 'Compaq' is more of a model name, not a brand name, and has no relevance to brand.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    No, I think it will be something like PalmPad with WebOs with the HP logo. Just as I am sure the toaster will say PalmToast with WebOs.
    Thanks for not reading my post then responding here. Did I say the disappearance of the Palm brand would take place immediately? If you think that then go re-read step 2 in my previous post. For HP this absorption/dissolution process seems to take about 3 years. I wonder if it coincides with the earn out period of the purchased company?