1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Let's just file this under fat chance and yeah sure you will subjects. They may actually have dug holes and buried real Iphone, but the likelihood of that happening in the biz world, HA! LOL.

Take care,

Jay

Microsoft Hopes to Bury iPhone, Android
    By REUTERS, October 2, 2010, Filed at 10:17 a.m. ET

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Last month, a few hundred Microsoft Corp employees acted out their fantasy with a mock funeral for Apple Inc's iPhone at its Redmond, Washington campus.

The bizarre gathering, which morphed into a spirited Michael Jackson "Thriller" dance routine, marked the completion of its Windows Phone 7 software, and showed how badly Microsoft wants to resurrect itself in the viciously competitive phone market.

The new software, which will be publicly unveiled on October 11 and expected on handsets in stores by November, is Microsoft's last chance, some analysts say, to catch up with Apple and Google Inc's Android smartphones, after squandering its strong market position in only a few years.

A group of smartphone manufacturers including Samsung and HTC Corp are expected to roll out Microsoft-based phones for the holiday season.

Whether they will be good enough to render the iPhone obsolete is the question.

"The product can't be an also-ran that just does everything that is already out in the marketplace," said Bryan Keane, an analyst for Alpine Mutual Funds, which holds Microsoft shares. "Right now, it isn't apparent that Windows 7 is better than anything that's out there, except that it might have a better tie-in to the actual Windows platform."

By the admission of Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer, the company "missed a generation" with Windows Mobile, its last phone operating system, which floundered while the iPhone and Android roared past with sumptuous touch screens and a host of new applications.

Microsoft is now fourth in the fast-growing U.S. market for smartphone operating systems with a share of less than 12 percent, according to research firm comScore, behind BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion Ltd, Apple and Google.

STOCK OVERHANG

Microsoft's strange disappearance from the phone market, and its delayed response to the emergence of tablet devices like Apple's iPad, has been seen as a drag on Microsoft's shares, which are down 20 percent this year.

"The market is really fearful of their positioning in those two markets (phones and tablets)," said Ken Allen, Baltimore-based portfolio manager of T. Rowe Price's Science and Technology Fund, which holds Microsoft shares. "Tablets -- the iPad in particular -- and the smartphone market are major overhangs and discounted heavily in the stock."

Investors were not impressed with Microsoft's last attempt to launch a new phone, the Kin, which was dropped after fewer than three months on the market.

Whether the new phones can make up for that error and lift concerns will depend on how the handsets measure up and how much the network carriers promote the phones.

Prototypes of the new devices, which have been demonstrated by Microsoft employees over the past few months, look to be a huge improvement over the last version of Microsoft's phone software. They have a touch-screen interface resembling the company's Zune music player and movable 'tiles' that access various phone functions.

But at first glance, they don't appear to offer radical new features that rivals lack.

Launch phones are expected from Samsung, LG and HTC Corp, while AT&T Inc is expected to be the initial U.S. network provider, according to a person familiar with the launch plans. Microsoft and AT&T declined comment. None of the handset makers immediately replied to requests for details.

All three of those phone makers already offer Android-based phones, while AT&T is currently the sole carrier for the iPhone, which means none has too much riding on the success of the new software, which could be a problem for Microsoft.

"We'll have to see how much vendor support (Microsoft) gets behind it -- that was partially what drove Android success," said Keane at Alpine. "But now, their problem is, 'We already have Android and the iPhone, do we need a third one?'."

(Reporting by Bill Rigby; editing by Carol Bishopric)
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think they're living on Fantasy Island, in denial that the do not dominate the tech world in the way they used to.
    looking at the OS it is nice, though no Webos. To me microsoft will make a dent, but I doubt it will catch Apple or Android. To me microsoft is in the catch up game, like webos will be once they launch their first next generation handset. Though microsoft will have a leg up, being able to saturate the market like android has done in the past year. To me it will be up in the air, regarding peoples preferences between android and windows phone 7, because they are both very simplistic and will be alot out there. They will make alot of ground I think, but will be based on like android what the device around the OS looks like more then the OS. I just hope Webos continues to thrive on its OS, while finally combining it with winning hardware, only then to me will Webos be successful like Apple has been for the past 3 years.
    Microsoft's banking on the fact that Android infringes on everything, including their own patents. It's kind of like that scene in Goodfellas. Want an Android phone? F you, pay me. Want a WP7 phone? F you, pay me.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Gartner don't think much of Microsoft's chances with WP7 either.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I got to try out a Windows phone 7 (Dumbest name ever). I'm not sure what I think of it. The hubs screen actually gave me motion sickness. I also felt that the fonts are way to small for my 40 year old eyes and I couldn't find any way to change the size.

However, it does have some nice features. The email client is very nice and the OS speed is very fast.
    Microsoft's biggest mistake was being out of the market long enough for enterprise users to realize they didn't need MS devices to have mobile connectivity to their office products (email, data, contacts, etc...). People lost that misplaced belief that employees need MS products to be effective in the field. With their disappearance from the market for a while Android, iPhone, webOS, etc... proved you could be productive without MS. Now they are seeing that they dropped the ball and customer mindset has completely changed. They will never get back to where they were...all they can do is hope to gain a share of the market since they can't get the largest piece of the pie anymore.
    I think they have a better product and if they market it correctly wp7 can be very successful.

Partnering with att was a very good idea, and it is very good timing. The iphone is probably going to vzw in january, and I believe att is going to do with wp7 what vz did with android.

I'm not saying I think wpx will take the top spot, but I strongly feel it will be one of the top 3 competitors soon. I hate to say it, but I think they will be much more successful than hp/pam.
    Hate to say it, but i'm just not interested in a trifecta offering anymore. OS, hardware, carrier branding & dependence (for updates). Screw it.

If MS or Google want to design, sell, and support devices directly (such as the Nexus one), then i might bite.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10/07/2010 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I think they have a better product and if they market it correctly wp7 can be very successful.

Partnering with att was a very good idea, and it is very good timing. The iphone is probably going to vzw in january, and I believe att is going to do with wp7 what vz did with android.

I'm not saying I think wpx will take the top spot, but I strongly feel it will be one of the top 3 competitors soon. I hate to say it, but I think they will be much more successful than hp/pam.
    I dont know, After spending some time with the Windows Phone, I cant really think of any reason to get one over an iPhone or Android device. Also, after I was done with it, I didn't feel any great need to go get one in the future.

I just don't really see it drawing many fans.