Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Found an interesting article at engadget.
    Tango launches 3G and WiFi video calling on iOS and Android, no account required -- Engadget Mobile
    To sad it's not available for webOS. I know there is no api atm.

    Edit: Article shows a video.
  2. #2  
    wow, really want something like this, peer to peer is great
  3. #3  
    Not the first. There is also Knocking Live Video
    App Shopper: Knockingā„¢ Live Video (Social Networking)

    and Fring
    App Shopper: fring (Social Networking)

    This is why it makes no sense to wait months and months for webos hardware. Great stuff is being done now, and people are missing out sitting on the sidelines.
  4. #4  
    This is true for the fraction of users who are up for renewal now (and most are on 24-month plans I'd reckon) AND short-sighted enough to go with a less user-friendly OS because it's got more Apps at the moment.

    And, of course, people said the exact same thing to Android people a year ago when Android was just about to hit 2.0 and the G1 was one of the very few Android handsets. Android had 6000 Apps and people said they'll never catch up to Apple, so why sit at the sidelines of Android when you can buy an iPhone and have these great things now?

    I for one am not going to buy a new phone before my phone contract runs out October 13, 2011. I cordially invite you to take this bet: if webOS doesn't have anything similar by the time I'm up for a new contract, I'll paypal you one crisp Dollar note. I know I'll be sitting at the sidelines until it happens, but if those sidelines allow me to elegantly and easily multitask 20 apps, play lots of great games, and does almost everything I want, I think I can live.

    Disclaimer: I'm from Europe. I had a phone with front-facing camera in 2004, and so did friends of mine, but nobody ever used it because video chat so gimmicky. You gotta give Apple one thing: WHATEVER it is that they offer, instantly becomes cool and desirable. This does help on innovation as old, well-known technologies get Appled and are suddenly fresh and popular once again.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm from Europe. I had a phone with front-facing camera in 2004, and so did friends of mine, but nobody ever used it because video chat so gimmicky. You gotta give Apple one thing: WHATEVER it is that they offer, instantly becomes cool and desirable. This does help on innovation as old, well-known technologies get Appled and are suddenly fresh and popular once again.
    Apple makes things work and they don't push them out the door until they do work ... easily. Like you, I had a phone with the ability to do video chat/conferencing (HTC Universal) and the software was so clunky and unreliable that I only used the feature as a gimmick as it was to cumbersome/unreliable to use for real communications. If you try out the iPhone's version (Facetime), you'll see that the capability is easy to set up and use, plus the picture is smooth and clear. In short, Apple doesn't necessarily invent these ideas, but they do innovate on them until they're useful to the average person.
  6. #6  
    IIRC, my Nokia could start a video chat from in-call. Not that I ever did it. Guess I hadn't seen enough commercials to make video chat interesting to me.
    Of course image quality would've been worse because megapixel cameras were not in phones then, and I assume that even on an UMTS network, video would've been choppy without HSD/UPA... But is your argument really in part "Apple are great innovators because they wait long years until other people have perfected certain technologies before they take them and sell them as their own"? Careful now, I'll hold you to your reply the next time you call for cutting-edge tech in the next Palm product

    Apple "improved" nothing about video chat that didn't already exist. People (or blogs) were clamoring for front-facing cameras in iPhones long before they ever saw Facetime in action - and were completely indifferent to the phones already offering the technology at the time.

    I'm not saying Facetime isn't a quality service. It's just not mind-blowing. At all. I guess it's all about Alternate Reality Fields in the smartphone business.

    In the Apple Alternate Reality Field, if "it just works", that's fantastic because you just want it to work, and that's what it does, so why even look for anything else?

    In the Palm Alternate Reality Field, if "it just works", well, that's the very least a paying customer can expect but it should work faster and better than the competition or it's really worse.
  7. #7  
    Must all "Hey look at this cool features on this other phone" threads turn into "defensive WeOS user" threads?
  8. #8  
    I don't really understand the need for the front facing camera. If I needed streaming video from my phone about the only thing I'd need it for would be to show someone something that isn't me and that would be easier on the rear camera anyways. About the only thing a front facing camera would be useful for would be a "phone" conversation using sign language and of course that requires either a really awkward use of one hand signing or to have the phones propped up somehow that's convenient.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I don't really understand the need for the front facing camera. If I needed streaming video from my phone about the only thing I'd need it for would be to show someone something that isn't me and that would be easier on the rear camera anyways. About the only thing a front facing camera would be useful for would be a "phone" conversation using sign language and of course that requires either a really awkward use of one hand signing or to have the phones propped up somehow that's convenient.
    Have you ever wondered why webcams come standard with nearly every notebook these days?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Have you ever wondered why webcams come standard with nearly every notebook these days?
    Is it the same reason that microphones are coming integrated with those same laptops? So that you have something cheap and barely functional but can be listed as a selling point that you'll need to replace with a better option if you actually want decent performance?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Is it the same reason that microphones are coming integrated with those same laptops? So that you have something cheap and barely functional but can be listed as a selling point that you'll need to replace with a better option if you actually want decent performance?
    Well, you probably wouldn't want to use an internal microphone for doing ADR or anything - just like you wouldn't want to use a webcam or a front facing camera to record videos of your children playing.

    But, you know, people like to communicate and having webcams and front facing cameras allow them to do so.
  12. #12  
    I tried Tango with my gf last night and it is hands down the best video quality out of the android video apps.

    Good stuff, sent an email to my android/iphone friends to download it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I tried Tango with my gf last night and it is hands down the best video quality out of the android video apps.

    Good stuff, sent an email to my android/iphone friends to download it.
    Just tried it with my sister who is in Alaska (me in California), worked flawlessly! She was on an iPhone 3Gs and I'm on the Evo.
  14. #14  
    The answer to your dilemma is in you first words.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I don't really understand...snip
    See post 12 & 13 below

    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I tried Tango with my gf last night and it is hands down the best video quality out of the android video apps.

    Good stuff, sent an email to my android/iphone friends to download it.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Just tried it with my sister who is in Alaska (me in California), worked flawlessly! She was on an iPhone 3Gs and I'm on the Evo.
    For the post above about this not being innovative, no it's not, so what. It works. Where's webos's version. Life is short and unpredictable, if you want to wait around and see you're welcome to it.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10/07/2010 at 06:40 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions