Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1.    #1  
    Just stumbled across this article: ChangeWave Consumer Smartphone Survey - Google Android OS Momentum | InvestorPlace

    It shows 0% of people surveyed considered purchasing a Palm device (and that Android is catching up on iPhone).

    I would love to see what this will do when a new device is offered.
  2. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #2  
    There are still many people who don't know that webOS exists. When you say Palm device, they think of PalmOS, not webOS. Palm needs to use some of HP's money to market what webOS can do and how easy it is to use.
  3. #3  
    So many people seem to believe that all Palm needs is better marketing. I don't believe that. It would help, yes...maybe, but by itself, I don't think it will change much. Palm almost needs a "Perfect Storm" of events to get back on track. Better products, stellar features, developers, apps, mindshare, damage repair to their brand, etc. It's not just marketing.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    There are still many people who don't know that webOS exists. When you say Palm device, they think of PalmOS, not webOS. Palm needs to use some of HP's money to market what webOS can do and how easy it is to use.
    Yeah, that's true. Yesterday I was using my Pre on an elevator at a hotel, a lady leaned over my shoulder and asked: "Ooo, what kind of BlackBerry is that?". When I told her it was a Palm Pre, she said "Yeah, I had one of those like 10 years ago".
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So many people seem to believe that all Palm needs is better marketing. I don't believe that. It would help, yes...maybe, but by itself, I don't think it will change much. Palm almost needs a "Perfect Storm" of events to get back on track. Better products, stellar features, developers, apps, mindshare, damage repair to their brand, etc. It's not just marketing.
    Blackberry storm I had commercials just stating... "It's coming" for a month.. then BOOM it's here it's amazing!.. The Droid had similar commercials!! with rockets and explosions and we are being taken over by asteroids!!! They showed their OS's in the commercial. And i actually herd people talking about..."you hear about the new droid coming out?"

    we didn't have anything close. Creepy girl just talking about nothing. that didn't help one bit.

    but on your other points of perfect launch timing and everything else i completely agree
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Blackberry storm I had commercials just stating... "It's coming" for a month.. then BOOM it's here it's amazing!.. The Droid had similar commercials!! with rockets and explosions and we are being taken over by asteroids!!! They showed their OS's in the commercial. And i actually herd people talking about..."you hear about the new droid coming out?"

    we didn't have anything close. Creepy girl just talking about nothing. that didn't help one bit.

    but on your other points of perfect launch timing and everything else i completely agree
    Yes, marketing will help. But those devices actually work very well, so it's not just marketing. The Pre had one of the biggest pre-launch hype from the time it was introduced at CES '09. It did not fail solely due to poor marketing.
  7. #7  
    "Lessons learned", should be HP/Palm's thought of the day, every day.

    Lets hope untidyguy's 3 x 0 = 0 prediction doesn't come to fruition; it is certainly all up to those in charge at HP and in the Palm division now - I personally believe that they have a vision and are in the process of meticulously executing it, but only time will prove me right or wrong, at this point - perhaps October is the month things will unfold and some clarity and vision will be provided.



    PS ... one should be careful about polled data, whether it supports one's views or not. Not all polling companies are consceincious about their sampling being representative of a true cross section of the relevant market - just sayin...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  8. #8  
    I am actually surprised that HP isn't running teaser adds to create buzz by saying big things are coming...

    they should start with 'now that Palm is part of the HP family...' so people know palm didn't go out of business.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yes, marketing will help. But those devices actually work very well, so it's not just marketing. The Pre had one of the biggest pre-launch hype from the time it was introduced at CES '09. It did not fail solely due to poor marketing.
    The problem I see with your argument is that if the poor quality of the device was the problem then we would have seen a lot of early adopters but then a mass defection in the last few months because the hardware problems would have only shown up after the fact. What we saw was very little adoption of the platform from the very beginning. This leads me to believe that it was poor marketing. The poor hardware quality only exacerbated the problem further down the road.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I am actually surprised that HP isn't running teaser adds to create buzz by saying big things are coming...

    they should start with 'now that Palm is part of the HP family...' so people know palm didn't go out of business.
    Thats actually a pretty good idea. I hope Rahul is reading this and takes it up the chain of command.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I am actually surprised that HP isn't running teaser adds to create buzz by saying big things are coming...

    they should start with 'now that Palm is part of the HP family...' so people know palm didn't go out of business.

    'now that Palm is part of the HP family' you will be able to purchase a printer running webOS!!
  12. #12  
    I know there thousands of crazy Palm followers that will bump that number up when (if) we ever see anything new.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  13. #13  
    The Palm has failed in past, working together a small operator & CDMA.

    Why? Because the WORLD is GSM!! Just a small example: big part of the IPhone sucess is that you can to buy em MANY countries of the world. In begining, was selled only in USA, but the people could to buy and to export to other countries. Palm Pre and Palm Pixi, no...

    Apps and developers is good; yes, but CUSTOMERS is more important. The Moto V3 was a best seller, and his owners could install nothing... but has seen in all places, and has how to buy! The customers need to know that exist, and need to find to buy...

    Hype & availability is the key. No more, and rest is a rest...


    Best Regards...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    The Palm has failed in past, working together a small operator & CDMA.

    Why? Because the WORLD is GSM!! Just a small example: big part of the IPhone sucess is that you can to buy em MANY countries of the world. In begining, was selled only in USA, but the people could to buy and to export to other countries. Palm Pre and Palm Pixi, no...

    Apps and developers is good; yes, but CUSTOMERS is more important. The Moto V3 was a best seller, and his owners could install nothing... but has seen in all places, and has how to buy! The customers need to know that exist, and need to find to buy...

    Hype & availability is the key. No more, and rest is a rest...


    Best Regards...
    You do realize that only two of the many carriers that Palm is on are on CDMA? Palm isn't where it is because it started WebOs with Sprint. It is where it is because it didn't have the money to put out new hardware soon enough.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Thats actually a pretty good idea. I hope Rahul is reading this and takes it up the chain of command.
    Rahul did say sometime ago(on tweeter) that they have really good marketing department...so he is very well aware of the fact that marketing also played a part in Palms downfall Its no secret everybody knows that. So hopefully they will come out with gun blazing when new phone is announced.
  16. elslunko's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #16  
    When I bought my pixi the ATT rep said he can't remember selling a Palm device in his 3 years at that store. Though I'm not too sure how many palm devices have been released in the last 3 years on ATT.
  17. #17  
    You do realize that only two of the many carriers that Palm is on are on CDMA? Palm isn't where it is because it started WebOs with Sprint. It is where it is because it didn't have the money to put out new hardware soon enough.
    Yes, it is. When the Palm Pre was announced, MANY magazines, sites and blogs in all world was talking about, writing about, informing about... and; when was launched only in CDMA version (just USA and China still really use this technology), many of this writers was waiting... for nothing. After many time, was released the GSM version, but was only in three countries, and the unlock version was expensive... and with a "qwertz" keyboard. The time is important, and all this time to have some access just changed the "hope" to death...

    You know iphones barely sell overseas.
    Well, I live in Brazil, where the Samsung Galaxy S, IPod, PS3, IPhones and many other products; for example, is the MOST EXPENSIVE of the world. Here, the PS3 is selled for $ 1.180,00!!

    And the IP4 is selling a lot! Why? Because the people find to buy! This PS3 above, is selling a lot! Why? Because the people find to buy! The Galaxy S is selling! Why? Because the people find to buy! The Moto Milestone (Droid GSM) is selling a lot! Why? Because the people find to buy! And the Palms Pre & Pixi? Is selling? No! Why? Because; after all this time, we NO HAVE OPTIONS to buy. Just this!

    Ok, many of you gonna to think: "-Bull****! Just in USA is enough!", but this idea forget that a big part of the developers is living out of your country. And more: more devices selled, cost diluted, more chance to buying cheap and stimulates the HP to invest in new devices...


    Best Regards...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    The problem I see with your argument is that if the poor quality of the device was the problem then we would have seen a lot of early adopters but then a mass defection in the last few months because the hardware problems would have only shown up after the fact. What we saw was very little adoption of the platform from the very beginning. This leads me to believe that it was poor marketing. The poor hardware quality only exacerbated the problem further down the road.
    I hear what you're saying, but don't equate "didn't work well" to "poor build quality". Remember the Pixi does not have half of the build quality issues that the Pre has, yet it has about the same overall ratings across the board.

    Marketing "alone" simply will not be enough.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    'now that Palm is part of the HP family' you will be able to purchase a printer running webOS!!
    I see this working if they can visually show how new phones are not only singular devices, capable of working on their own but also can be part of this larger ...network? family? chain?...of devices that work alone or together to fill the needs of the family, small business, home office, etc. I sincerely think this is how they are approaching it and also why they aren't just throwing a new phone out ahead of everything else. I believe they want to make it just a part of a larger whole that folks see the potential in and perhaps want to invest in other "pieces" of. I don't think just introducing a phone will have the impact that introducing a whole family of devices would. I think they'll market it as "imagine printing from your phone, scanning to your tablet, sharing your information between all your devices using the cloud...all your devices interacting seamlessly through the power of webOS". They're shooting from multiple angles and making webOS attractive to a lot more users than just the smartphone crowd...but at the same time making smartphones (or tablets...or cloud-connected printers, toasters and watches!) more attractive to those who maybe aren't on board yet.

    Just my thought...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Just stumbled across this article: ChangeWave Consumer Smartphone Survey - Google Android OS Momentum | InvestorPlace

    It shows 0% of people surveyed considered purchasing a Palm device (and that Android is catching up on iPhone).

    I would love to see what this will do when a new device is offered.
    I'm pretty confident that number will rise. Right now, there is no reason for the casual consumer to buy a Palm device. No new product of any substance since it's inception. No real advertising, after some really crappy advertising. The only people buying now are people looking for a deal (MHS), phone geeks who like the OS, or those who are fans for some reason.

    This is said by a person (me) who is happy with my Pre and will stay with Palm if their next device is good.

    With all else being equivalent, the casual consumer will buy what seems to be the most exciting item on the market (tempered to some degree by price). May not even know what it's running.

    (How many people call their EVO or other Android based phones "Droid"'s. Shows what marketing can do.)

    A decent product, with good buzz and people will buy. No iPhone killing, but that should not be the goal. It 's a nascent market, they just need to establish themselves as credible players and build from there.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions