Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I'm right on the border of getting the Evo. I have had my Palm Pre for over a year and really like a lot about it. The lack of info from HPalm has me eyeing other devices, in particular the Evo. So I'd love to hear any pro's and con's from Pre owners. I'm going to also post this at AndroidCentral to get a balanced picture.

Things I know I will miss:
    1. Swiping to delete and to close apps. There is just something satisfying about it.
    2. Touchstone. I have two. They are just so handy and cool.
    3. Multitasking in webos is very slick

One of the reasons I'm thinking of leaving is my gut feeling that HPalm won't have a decent device out within a year. So when a real contender emerges from HPalm, I'll likely be ready (and due) for a phone upgrade.

Thanks for any and all objective feedback. I'm a firm believer in getting the phone that is right for you.
    best phone i have ever owned, no pregrets here.... android is too clunky of an os for me
    Yes, i have regrets. The lousy gps through verizon. The lousy battery life. They were killers for me. Switched to the droid x yesterday. Much better. Gps works everywhere, even in my basement. And first day with it, the battery has lasted 24+ Hours without a recharge yet. Plus the camera is better, and of course the bigger screen. I will miss some features with the pre plus, such as the easy rooting and better multi tasking, but i needed better gps and battery life. Definately a lot more apps with the droid.
    I have had an Evo since launch day and love it and all it can do out of the box but if I were you I would just try it and if you don't like it return it. There will always be different strokes for different folks and those that have a hard time adjusting to something new... if your the type that can't give up swiping and card multi tasking then? It took me 10 mins to forget swiping because I prepared myself and as far as multi tasking goes I rarely had more than one thing open so it was an easy transition for me. The only regret I have is not doing it sooner and I only had one Pre since launch without issue.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Give your pre another 30 days!! And if 2.0 is not here and/or new hardware is not announced, try the evo out.

I've had some hands on with it and all in all it's not bad. If you pocket it don't buy the rubberized case, it pulls your pocket out with it. It's funny watching my bud pull his pocket out with his phone every time....lol! It's wide and not all that comfy in my average sized man hands, the pre is much more comfy in my palm. It's faster than my super stock pre, but not like....all blow your mind fast like some around here would like you to think. It's more like a second or three faster here and there(over 3G) didn't get to try 4G as none was available. You'll be making plenty of trips to the market place for all kinds of minor things to customize it, kinda like homebrew type stuff, but much more basic like percent of battery life left, task killers, and what not. Some think that's great, but I don't care for all the basic setup junk, it could literally take weeks or even months to get it setup the way you like. Navigating in android is funky compared to webOS, my pre's launch screens are a mess with 150+ apps and I can find anything I want in no time flat. Android sometimes you can and sometimes you can't, it could have just been my limited use of android though. Pinch to zoom and scrolling is kind of twitchy and like it's on wack, not as smooth as the pre, but it's usable and a bit better after the frame cap was bumped up in the latest update.

All in all it's big, fast, nice screen, build quality seems good and has top notch google support. I still think you and anyone else who is about to switch, should wait just a bit longer if you can. If you can't wait any longer don't sell off your pre till your 30 days are up, cause you never know what 2.0 will be like till you have it. You came this far, why miss the biggest update to webOS yet, by just weeks or days?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Battery life was a problem from day one. Now I can't keep my phone out of headset mode and I've tried everything in the forums. I may take the phone in to try to get a replacement, but my phone got wet a long time ago so they probably won't do anything for me, even though the headset problem is a very common issue regardless of any water damage (I have no other known water damage). As it stands I would never recommend this phone to anyone.
    I bought 3 Pres on launch day and 1 about a month later to fill my 4-line family plan. Since then, I've had 6 replacements on my line, 2 on my wife's line, 1 on my mother's line and my brother is still on his original (but is missing the usb cover, and has cracks everywhere). All four of us have "PREgrets" big time.

I have since switched to the EVO and the rest of my family are waiting for their upgrade eligibility in April. Even if HP/Palm releases another product before then, they would not consider it because of our combined experience with the Pre.

I though I'd miss the same things as you. Here's my experience:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamboaz View Post
    1. Swiping to delete and to close apps. There is just something satisfying about it.
    Swiping to delete a single item was nice on the Pre. I loved doing that from time to time. On Android, it's usually [long press + tap] to delete. Swiping is easier, but only for single items. What I hated on the Pre was when it came time to delete multiple items having to swipe each one became a huge pain. On Android, you typically select multiple items then tap delete and you're done.
    Ah the Touchstone. Some say it's a gimmick, but I absolutely LOVED that thing. I really hate plugin in ANYTHING, which is why I'm a fan of anything wireless (wifi, bluetooth, induction charging, etc.). It is the one feature I wish I had available to me. However, this by itself is simply not enough for me to put up with the Pre. There is a mod for the EVO that allows it to use the touchstone, but it interferes with the compass and apps like Layar, Google Sky, Google Maps (especially with street view). Since I get 20-30 hours battery life on the EVO (upwards of 40 hours when I work from home because the low 3G signal at work is what sucks my battery), I find that I don't miss the touchstone much. I simply don't need to charge my phone nearly as often as I did with the Pre. And I'm simply not willing to give up the compass-based apps that I use.
    I though so as well. Palm did a wonderful job with the card task switcher. However, multitasking on webOS is a manual process. This is not a bad thing if you like managing this stuff yourself. The difference with Android is that multitasking is automatic. You simply don't worry about it. Done with an app, just launch another or hit home. Want to go back to an app, just long-press home and pick it (or launch the app again if it is not one of your last 8 recently used app).

The thing is, Android manages the memory for you. When you "leave" an app, it is kept in a dormant state still loaded in memory. If you need it again, it's an almost instant load. If too many apps are loaded, Android is smart enough to reclaim memory by evicting your least used and lowest priority apps. There is some smarts in how it determines this that work really well. What it means is you NEVER get a "Too many cards" error. NEVER!

Now, this is not perfect. Some apps misbehave and you need to deal with those on a case by case basis. For the bad one, I usually "exit" them rather than "leave" them, or I kill them from my apps menu. I NEVER use task killers. Again, NEVER!

Other thoughts:
    1. Everything is just nice and smooth on the EVO, no checkered background when scrolling, no lag, nothing.
    2. If you are a gamer, I still think 3D gaming on the Pre is better overall. I'm not much of a gamer myself, but for the very few 3D games that I play, they have been better on my EVO, especially since the recent OTA. Something about that big beautiful screen and butter smooth operation is just...wow. Still, games "pause" better in webOS, so you can come right back to where you were if you're interrupted. Again, doesn't affect me much because I don't game much, but if you do, you'll want to be aware of that.
    3. Android is all about "YOU" as HTC says in their advertising. You get an amazing amount of preferences, widgets, apps, etc. to make the phone be "exactly what YOU want it to be." I see thing as a good thing, but not everyone wants/needs that.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by taharka; 10/01/2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Yep, to echo everybody else here: the OS and overall usability of the phone is more important to me that a few new bells and whistles. Don't get me wrong - I want all that stuff, too, I just don't want to have to deal with a crappy user experience to get it.

I made the defect-for-better-features mistake once before. I had a treo 650 running PalmOS that I was fairly satisfied with. I "upgraded" to a treo 750 running Windows Mobile in order to get the faster UMTS radio, a faster processor, tethering, etc. I REALLY regretted that decision. Windows Mobile 5, 6, and 6.5 are the WORST mobile operating systems ever devised. Absolutely terrible. I disliked the experience so much that I avoided using the phone whenever possible.

When it came time to upgrade again, I very carefully evaluated my options (Droid, iPhone, Pre) and quickly came to the conclusion that I like the Pre the best because of its OS. I actually enjoy using it. It's just easier to get things done on webOS. The smaller form factor was also a major selling point for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Navigating in android is funky compared to webOS, my pre's launch screens are a mess with 150+ apps and I can find anything I want in no time flat. Android sometimes you can and sometimes you can't, it could have just been my limited use of android though.
    I really do think this is more due to your limited use of android. Using folders, you literally have hundreds of apps that are a couple of clicks away[1]. Also, with universal search, you just tap the dedicated search button and begin typing the name of the app (much like "swipe up then type" in webOS). There are even more options in the Market. Check out Google's "Gesture Search".

Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Pinch to zoom and scrolling is kind of twitchy and like it's on wack, not as smooth as the pre, but it's usable and a bit better after the frame cap was bumped up in the latest update.
    All I can say here is that zooming and scrolling on my EVO is ridiculously smoother compared to my Pre.

[1] http://forum.androidcentral.com/gene...e-android.html
    Bdog, android 2.2 brwosers come with flash enabled which i find makes scrolling not as smooth. I keep it "On Demand" which lets you pick what flash element you want to activate.

Anyway, no regrets switching to my Evo...yada yada yada. We've heard my story before.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I'm right on the border of getting the Evo. I have had my Palm Pre for over a year and really like a lot about it. The lack of info from HPalm has me eyeing other devices, in particular the Evo. So I'd love to hear any pro's and con's from Pre owners. I'm going to also post this at AndroidCentral to get a balanced picture.

Things I know I will miss:

One of the reasons I'm thinking of leaving is my gut feeling that HPalm won't have a decent device out within a year. So when a real contender emerges from HPalm, I'll likely be ready (and due) for a phone upgrade.

Thanks for any and all objective feedback. I'm a firm believer in getting the phone that is right for you.
    i have the EVO, its fast, screen is beautiful, and everything works well. But the PRE kicked **** in multitasking. I miss multitasking so much, the android system sucks when it comes to that. i was spoiled with the webos. i just wish they could run webos on the EVO that would be the best.

I miss the touchstone too and swiping to delete was easy. i sometimes wish i still had my PRE rather than the EVO.
    no harm intended. as I said, i hope you buy the next webOS phone.
    At this point, the only thing I don't like is the battery life. I'm good with the rest of it.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I really do think this is more due to your limited use of android. Using folders, you literally have hundreds of apps that are a couple of clicks away[1]. Also, with universal search, you just tap the dedicated search button and begin typing the name of the app (much like "swipe up then type" in webOS). There are even more options in the Market. Check out Google's "Gesture Search".

All I can say here is that zooming and scrolling on my EVO is ridiculously smoother compared to my Pre.

[1] http://forum.androidcentral.com/gene...e-android.html
    great post. I have a question myself, as someone who just ordered an EVO from best buy. Did you have a hard time porting your contacts from your Pre to your EVO? I always wondered if getting them out of the Pre/Palm Profile would be a little tricky.
    Never had my contacts in Pre...always had google contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Never had my contacts in Pre...always had google contacts.
    Ditto. If this is your setup, simply log into your google account on your EVO and you're done. If not, you still have some options. Sprint (or Best Buy?) can probably help you out there.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    best phone i have ever owned, no pregrets here.... android is too clunky of an os for me
    we get it hatchett, you unequivocally love everything Palm/WebOS/HP, etc.
    I bought a Pre on launch day, tried to stick with it but only lasted two months. Kept it but quickly got the Hero. Upgraded recently to the Evo, which I absolutely love.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    we get it hatchett, you unequivocally love everything Palm/WebOS/HP, etc.
    ...and hate all that is not. :-)
    You will miss your Touchstones. There is nothing else like it.

But every time I use my Pre, it makes me miss my old Palm Treo. It had folders and a real music player. It was fast. I had choices about what messaging, email, and calendar apps I wanted to use.

As to Multitasking, at first it felt weird to not do all my own multitasking by hand. Android does the multitasking for you. Just open the app again and you are back where you left off. There are no cards to remember. But if you want cards, you can still have cards. Here is more:

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Everything opens so fast in Android. It's like being back with my Treo. Check out the test results: How fast is your phone?

The ease and speed are part of it but Android is so customizable without even rooting. You can change icons and rename them. There are a number of Homescreen replacements like aHome that let you change almost anything.

You will not miss the webOS browser. The stock Android browser "re-flows" and "word-wraps" text just like a computer. No more cut off pages and swiping back and forth to read a page.

Other things to consider are that with webOS 2.0, we will be able to Just Type. Android has that as well Voice Actions that lets you just talk too. Instead of 9 or 16 icons on a screen you can have 4x4, 4x6, 5x6, or even 5x7 icons on each homescreen.

There is a lot to consider and in the end it is as personal as picking the shoes that feel best. There are dozens of Android phones to consider plus 40 new models coming in the next 6 months.

Try them out. Pick whatever fits you best. Try it out for 30 days and return it if you are not happy. In another year, you can upgrade again.

But if the Pre still meets your needs, keep it.

Good Luck!

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/02/2010 at 12:06 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast