1.    #1  
    Two things right off the start:
    1. This is not a slam on the app count but an honest question I have after reading the articles below.
    2. I didn't want to post this in the comments of the P|C article so as not to distract from what really is good news for webOS in the short term.

So, I just saw an article here on P|C about webOS passing 5K apps (http://www.precentral.net/webos-surpasses-5000-apps). At the same time, I see an article on ComputerWorld that continues to show that there isn't much developer interest in webOS (or RIM) for neither the short nor long term (Devs bet big on Android over Apple's iOS - Computerworld).

My question: Will it matter to potential consumers that webOS has passed 5K apps?
    End users that are not on this forum, don't care about number of apps. They just want a good app for their specific needs for the most part.

That comes with high numbers of course, but hard number doesn't matter.
    it's just encouagement for the faithful. Good news is always good news.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it's just encouagement for the faithful. Good news is always good news.
    True. Which is why I did't post this in that article's comments. But I'm asking about potential consumers here. Presumably, the faithful already own webOS devices.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    End users that are not on this forum, don't care about number of apps. They just want a good app for their specific needs for the most part.

That comes with high numbers of course, but hard number doesn't matter.
    Right, but since the iPhone, apps have started to matter on a large scale (they always mattered to me personally on my old Palm devices) to consumers. Just wondering what you guys think this means since the second article seems to indicate that app development on non Android/iOS devices will slowdown in the long run.
    What matters is that there's a large enough number of useful apps. Comparing what's currently out there for WebOS users to users of other OSes, well, there really is no comparison. Now, if those 5000 apps were all useful and wonderful,that would be different, but that's also not real life.

if non Android/iOS app development will undergo a slowdown, I don't see the platform surviving. The recent increases in apps/day is mostly due to games. What is telling is how many sdk apps/day are getting released, because those are the apps that insofar have been more useful to end users. From the looks of it, sdk app development has decreased over time. Does someone have stats on this?
    When webOS 2.0 comes out... and there are actual APIs available to the developers... I imagine we will see a "baby boom" of development that will bring us a lot of the most useful apps everyone has been clamoring for on other devices... hopefully it wont bring all the crap apps with it. Anyone looked at the android market lately? The ratio of good to crap is just astoundingly terrible.
    Who cares if there is crap in the market? The apps i have for android are some things that are not availible at all on WebOS because of API limitations. As long as there are good apps there will be crap apps...thats just how it goes.
    To most WEbOS users, not really - we just want good apps, however (and this is NOT To be understated):

The media/press will care - they arent necessarily users, but it's a technical milestone and "building" quickly - 0 apps at the first device appearing and 15 months later, 5,000 apps - that's good growth (remember, they are the ones yelling and screaming about how many apps the Android and Apple stores have, in their critiques/commentaries).

Still, though, 5,000 pales in comparison to over 200,000 apple store apps, and that is likely to be pointed out quite clearly along with any kudos they give to Palm/HP for obtaining this milestone so quickly - it took Apple over a year to open thier store and start building it, which they did quite well - Palm had apps within months of thier Pre release, and had reached 1,000 within 6 months - thats an incredible feat for a company that was 1/30th the size of Apple.

Truly, though, it IS good growth, and a few years from now, I suspect that there will be more than enough apps to satisfy the media/critics, and more than enough high quality apps to satisfy the WebOS users, and potential newcomers.

Oh, and BrianMantis is correct, IMO - there will always be a % of lower level apps in any collection - and the larger the collection, the more evident they will be, because thier numbess will be proportionately larger, and easier to find - the key is the number of useable, relevant apps for the mainstream WEbOS users, and pootential newcomers.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/29/2010 at 01:53 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Most consumers don't care how many apps are available. They just want to have the apps that they want. But to cater to such a large group of potential consumers with varying tastes and needs there has to be a very large app ecosystem.

I think that if webOS is going to attract devs, they need to first release an SDK with a lot of api's and soon. Second, HP/Palm needs to go out and recruit the big developers and make them see developing for a small community is worth their while. That could mean giving them some kind of payout guarantee. I just don't think in the short term even with new and spectacular hardware the devs will come running to webOS. There are two huge platforms that they can make money on now. That will take up much of their time and resources. Thats the reality HP and Palm need to see and figure out how to get developers to their platform soon with that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    True. Which is why I did't post this in that article's comments. But I'm asking about potential consumers here. Presumably, the faithful already own webOS devices.
    I can't speak for the entire webos users, but for me ..and I assume many others > "YES" It does, take a look at what we had then... and now. :-)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    ...HP/Palm needs to go out and recruit the big developers and make them see developing for a small community is worth their while. That could mean giving them some kind of payout guarantee....
    I'm certainly not a marketing guy, but I wonder what would happen if HP said to certain devs "Hey, we guarantee you will sell 50K apps at $n price or we'll pay you for the sales you don't make." 50K is just a number I picked, but what if they did something like that? Devs could come to the platform with no risks. If they sell less than the agreed upon amount, they get paid for the the missed sales. If they sell more than the set amount, HP doesn't have to pay a dime. Of course, HP would have to recruit carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Most consumers don't care how many apps are available. They just want to have the apps that they want. But to cater to such a large group of potential consumers with varying tastes and needs there has to be a very large app ecosystem.
    Well, Im not sure I can agree with you there.

I DO understand what you are trying to say, however, the general smartphone user wants the power of "chosing" an app if he/she needs it, and the more apps available there are to chose from, the more likely he/she will find the app they are looking for.

That is, I believe, the logic that the media uses to continuously express the importance of the apps stores when talking about mobile device platforms.

HP/Palm does need to pay attention to this - I believe they are, and that in a year or two, as I stated above, the app count should be quite respectable - it should begin to grow exponentially as soon as the next WebOS smartphone appears, IMO- there will be NO better evidence of HP's intention to be a big player in the smartphone space than a serious hardware entry with WebOS on it, and that's when developers will likely take part in a big way, I believe.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I can't speak for the entire webos users, but for me ..and I assume many others > "YES" It does, take a look at what we had then... and now. :-)
    But won't a potential consumer (if apps really matter to them) also take a look at what the other OSes "had then...and now"?
    Why is it, then, when I open up Preware (and I have all the feeds enabled), it says there are only 2000+ apps? Where's the other 3000?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I'm certainly not a marketing guy, but I wonder what would happen if HP said to certain devs "Hey, we guarantee you will sell 50K apps at $n price or we'll pay you for the sales you don't make." 50K is just a number I picked, but what if they did something like that? Devs could come to the platform with no risks. If they sell less than the agreed upon amount, they get paid for the the missed sales. If they sell more than the set amount, HP doesn't have to pay a dime. Of course, HP would have to recruit carefully.
    Exactly what I was thinking. This would really only be directed at the big app developers for apps that are really in demand on other platforms.

Simply hoping that a new device will bring consumers to the platform and eventually devs is not really a reasonable expectation in the current market, IMHO. HP and Plam need to actively pursue devs if they want to be the #3 OS in the market.

Edit: I just want to point out Im not a marketing guy either. This just me trying to think this through.
  17.    #17  
    Yeah it would be a win/win/win for devs/hp/users (only a loss for HP if they did a poor job recruiting).
    It's good for marketing. It'll mean more when the "official" app catalog reaches 5,000 and we get some "essential" apps like true document editing (DocsToGo [NOT!] or QuickOffice), Flash, iSilo, Skyscape, & various others.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Five thousand apps is a decent start. Bluewanders is right to say that the inclusion of real APIs in the SDK is the key to webOS extending that number appreciably. As to the ratio of good to bad apps, that argument is a red herring. The thing that really attracts the good apps is the possibility of a real software hit (like Angry Birds on the iPhone). When webOS starts showing individual app sales in the high 5 to 6 figure area, lots of quality developers will follow quickly.