1.    #1  
    Amazon with be making it own store and apps for Android.

Amazon launching its own Android app store? -- Engadget
    I bet that this will just be another front end for the Google Android Market like AppBrain, AndroidLib, and the dozens of others. They get a commission on their sales.

The big advantage is that Android Market only has 85,000 apps. But there are a lot of apps that do not go through the normal catalog just like with the Pre. AndroidLib has just over 130,000 apps.

Bear in mind that "apps" include live wallpaper, widgets, themes, etc. Maybe half are really apps and many of those are not ones most would ever want. The majority are free.

The key thing is that most of the top apps are available for Android. Amazon is smart enough to set up their own front end to grab commissions when they can.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/28/2010 at 09:58 AM.
    verizon wireless is also doing their own app market for android. apparently they cant fragment the OS much more, so now they are fragmenting the ecosystem.

in other news, AppBookShop and Brighthouse have announced plans to create their own app catalogs for webOS...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ...snip
    in other news, AppBookShop and Brighthouse have announced plans to create their own app catalogs for webOS...
    Wow, at this point in time that is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    Ostensibly, this story is not about Apple. But, beneath the surface, it is all about Apple. More to the point, it is about what competitors believe is Apple's secret sauce.

Today, it's all about the App Store. Suddenly, everyone has found the app store religion. Nokia just made a statement to the affect that they are getting spanked by the App Store. Such a feature has now become table stakes. More than that, competitors are not just trying to attract app developers, but iPhone app developers in particular. Everyone remotely involved with consumer electronics wants an Apple-style app store.

This pattern has been played out many times before. At one point, everyone realized that the only way to build a phone was with a capacitive touch-screen interface. Movie editing and video calling are the new table-stakes. Need I even mention pads?

As it has been so well said long before me, MS owns 95% of the ship. The 5% that Apple controls just happens to be the rudder.

How long before every phone has a glass back and an external antenna?
    Apple must have a long one to allow that much swinging. :-)

People are following that same pattern that Apple is following (not creating). That pattern is based on a simple truth: The most secured way to get rich during a gold rush is to sell shovels.

On a side note, why is the external antenna being presented as brilliant? Didn't we start with the external antenna?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Ostensibly, this story is not about Apple. But, beneath the surface, it is all about Apple. More to the point, it is about what competitors believe is Apple's secret sauce.

Today, it's all about the App Store. Suddenly, everyone has found the app store religion. Nokia just made a statement to the affect that they are getting spanked by the App Store. Such a feature has now become table stakes. More than that, competitors are not just trying to attract app developers, but iPhone app developers in particular. Everyone remotely involved with consumer electronics wants an Apple-style app store.

This pattern has been played out many times before. At one point, everyone realized that the only way to build a phone was with a capacitive touch-screen interface. Movie editing and video calling are the new table-stakes. Need I even mention pads?

As it has been so well said long before me, MS owns 95% of the ship. The 5% that Apple controls just happens to be the rudder.

How long before every phone has a glass back and an external antenna?
    The Evo had a camera in the front before the iPhone...so apple might've been following there
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    The Evo had a camera in the front before the iPhone...so apple might've been following there
    Didn't you get the memo? It's not done correctly until it's done by Apple.
    Honestly, outside of the 3G limitation, it is implemented the best. However, Tango has been working really well for me.

I anticipate we'll see Google implement Google video into android. Hell, i think google would even do it and use the facetime standard for the good of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Hell, i think google would even do it and use the facetime standard for the good of the game.
    Since when is Google interested in the good of the game? If they can't slap an ad on it, or track you in some way, I suspect they'll pass.
    Meaning google doesn't make their own web standards...they most of the time follow what is best for web technologies. If facetime works well for apple, the protocol might be worth using for mobile video.