Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/27/2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added P|C url
    This just got posted on Engagdet, the source being RIM's developer event that was hosted today. Here's the link:

RIM introduces PlayBook -- the BlackBerry tablet -- Engadget

What do you all think this means for HP's webOS tablet plans, if anything at all?
    I am, therefore I think
    Yup saw it, looks pretty good, dual core, 1G RAM
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    This is shockingly nice. HP may have less room to breathe in the tablet market than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Of course it's nice. It's a production video with music. How can it not look nice? They don't really show it working on a device. Rumor has it that they are far away from that.

If HP wants to make a good first impression of their next tablet UI they should produce their own video rather than having a leaked unboxing on a real device.
    I don't disagree that there's probably a lot of smoke and mirrors going on here but from a UX and specs standpoint, this is really a huge leap over what we've come to expect from RIM.
    <<Threads Merged/Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Of course it's nice. It's a production video with music. How can it not look nice? They don't really show it working on a device.
    Yeah...I'd like to see a working model...not just video superimposed over a glass table or a folded-up calendar.

Looks promising, though. the webOS interface won't look so unique anymore...even if they were the first out of the gate with the cards.
    I say this to RIM and to HP and anyone else entering the space: Let's see you deliver a great experience to go with the specs, at a great price, and in a timely fashion.

If you can't deliver all three, save your money and time and stay home.
    looks like a slight webos ripoff. But nice.
    Cheaters.....I have a feeling when HP comes out with webOS tablet people are gonna say we copied RIM's Playbook.

I am curious, though...if RIM can announce, spec, and demo a product that isn't shipping until Q1 2011 with a new, untested OS, what's HP waiting on with either their next phone or tablet?

Every day of silence lets rivals steal a bit more oxygen, and at this point....aren't some people going to look at the PalmPad and call it a Playbook ripoff?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    It certainly looks appealing, and will probably do so to the enterprise folks out there.

The cards are kinda blatant rip off of WebOS, but probably not infringement since it could easily be argued that the card metaphor is simply an extension of the window metaphor we have on PCs today. Really the only difference is the name.

I say HP should take it as the sincerest form of flattery and keep innovating the manner in which the UI works with the rest of the OS. For example I don't see any "card stacks" here so HPalm is ahead of the game already. An announcement would be kinda nice too

Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Cheaters.....I have a feeling when HP comes out with webOS tablet people are gonna say we copied RIM's Playbook.
    Nah darkzone, on a PalmPad you don't get needless transparencies covering 1 third of of your desktop
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I am curious, though...if RIM can announce, spec, and demo a product that isn't shipping until Q1 2011 with a new, untested OS, what's HP waiting on with either their next phone or tablet?

Every day of silence lets rivals steal a bit more oxygen, and at this point....aren't some people going to look at the PalmPad and call it a Playbook ripoff?
    Good point.
    Looks nice, and I echo mikah912's point... why can't we get a similar announcement? Heck, why can't we get anything announced? We get speculative and often questionable "leaks" and they get promises. And to add insult to injury, they rip off portions of Palm's UI.

At least our phones are better. For now.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

I like that everyone keeps thinking Palm can sue someone for a general UI scheme.

Look how well that Microsoft/Apple lawsuit turned out for everyone. I thought we learned our lesson, UI patents are all just nonsense.
    Hey we get "stacks" in our next version while RIM just now gets "cards".
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I like that everyone keeps thinking Palm can sue someone for a general UI scheme.

Look how well that Microsoft/Apple lawsuit turned out for everyone. I thought we learned our lesson, UI patents are all just nonsense.
    Nobody has mentioned a lawsuit in this thread, except in one instance to say that it probably wasn't warranted. Imitation is flattery, albeit somewhat irritating in a highly competitive market.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Palm supporter upset at another company for ripping off UI elements; the height of irony. Look on the bright side. Perhaps the pPad will be accused of ripping off the Play Book instead of the iPad.

Surely, I'm not the only one who sees the humor in all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Palm supporter upset at another company for ripping off UI elements; the height of irony. Look on the bright side. Perhaps the pPad will be accused of ripping off the Play Book instead of the iPad.

Surely, I'm not the only one who sees the humor in all this.
    I can't believe I'm agreeing with you...again. *sigh* I'm going to have to send you an e-hug at this rate. Why are so many people calling fowl when a feature of webOS shows up in another OS while ignoring all the nice ideas that webOS "borrowed" from other OSes (not to mention the stuff the Pre itself has that was also based on ideas from other devices)? Crazy stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    It's one of the prices you pay when you actively shoot for 5th place.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast