Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I really hope Palm/HP goes after them. Bunch of copycats...the whole OS is a mixture of webOS, Meamo, Android and iOS. Not one ounce of originality to be found anywhere.
    Lol wait till android gingerbread comes out if you check this Android 2.3/3.0 Update to Gingerbread Features Revealed - WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS

youll see the webOS designer graphics creater of palm pre working on it
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    I really hope Apple goes after them. Bunch of copycats...Not one ounce of originality to be found anywhere.
    Fixed it for you. That is exactly what was said about webOS when it was shown. It was so derivative of the iPhone that all of the technosphere was holding their breath waiting for the Apple legal team to go into action. To this day, the biggest tech mystery is why didn't they. HP want be suing anyone.
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    RIM sent their corporate sales group to our hospital today. We use BES and BBs to access our Lotus Notes Domino server for secure email. They brought mock PlayBooks, and I got the specs. The hold up from bringing it to market is the shortage of 1 GHz dual core processors. We saw a 32 GB model, but the 16GB model will be about $499. Other specs include 1 GB RAM, Adobe Flash Air technology built in to the hardware, Citrix Client built in. To ge BB mail you have to bluetooth tether to your BB phone with downloaded software on the phone. The PlayBook is remotely wipeable, and it will have storage (if allowed) of corporate data and a separate storage for personal photos, etc, that don't need to be wiped. You can access the Web via Wi-Fi, but you would need a secure network to get BB mail without your phone. No email or corporate data is stored on the PlayBook. In that regard, it is like the Palm Folio, but it will come with Premium edition of Data Viz Docs 2 Go. Battery life is 8 hours CONTINUOS use. No carrier certification is needed for the wi-fi models, making upgrades and updates easy for them. They are really going after businesses and the 20-24 age group. Got to use a Torch. Hardware is exceptional compared to the Pre. Their new Touch model is coming in the spring with OS6 and virtual keyboard only. Very slick. All is unix based. They strongly hinted that there will be speech recognition software available at launch. I was impressed. This is what webOS needs to do with the PalmPad. Our organization's debate was over whether an HP Slate would be useful in our environment, but it looks like the PlayBook blows the Slate away for security, the PB is much less expensive, and the PB will run our electronic medical record, billing, and imaging sofware that depends on the Citrix client/server. Looks like the PlayBook is gonna be tough for HPalm to beat.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Palm has a lot of patents that even Apple infringes upon. Do RIM?
    Saw the new Blackberry tablet on Daily Planet, seems the operating system deals with multitasking by the use of cards shrunk down to open another app. Hmmmmmmm wonder where that idea came from??????????????
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <<threads merged>>

Welcome to the party
    You guys do realize that QNX has been around since before webOS, right?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    if the PalmPad comes out in the spring then they can pull a droid on RIM (if you will) . Basically they need to get it out in user's hands first and at a same or lower price with same features
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You guys do realize that QNX has been around since before webOS, right?
    Yes but the multitasking approach hasn't been
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    if the PalmPad comes out in the spring then they can pull a droid on RIM (if you will) . Basically they need to get it out in user's hands first and at a same or lower price with same features
    Agreed. Get a wi-fi only version out ASAP. HP has the channels and retail computer shelf space that RIM and most of the Android tablet crowd do not, so they don't NEED the push from a carrier, and all the hassle that comes with it.

Let RIM and the Android manufacturers build tablet hype and then jump in with a better (or even just on-par) device that doesn't require a carrier contract and is available sooner. With smartphones all having 4g mobile hotspots now, I personally see no reason to have a tablet on a carrier network.

If HP gets their marketing out early enough, it will beat the marketing push from RIM and Sprint, and they won't look like the copycats. Of course, HP has never really worried about looking like copycats...
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Agreed. Get a wi-fi only version out ASAP. HP has the channels and retail computer shelf space that RIM and most of the Android tablet crowd do not, so they don't NEED the push from a carrier, and all the hassle that comes with it.

Let RIM and the Android manufacturers build tablet hype and then jump in with a better (or even just on-par) device that doesn't require a carrier contract and is available sooner. With smartphones all having 4g mobile hotspots now, I personally see no reason to have a tablet on a carrier network.

If HP gets their marketing out early enough, it will beat the marketing push from RIM and Sprint, and they won't look like the copycats. Of course, HP has never really worried about looking like copycats...
    Since HP hasn't even been able to put together a video promo for a WebOS tablet, I can only assume they are behind their competition, especially Motorola, who is releasing the Xoom by March and will have Verizon's full support. So the above scenario probably isn't possible.

What's the benefit of rushing to market if you don't have carrier support, tho? It's not like Viewsonic or Augen or the other companies making those cheap Android tablets being hawked on QVC or at Ross or Kohl's or K-Mart are laughing to the bank. I don't think a marketing blitz would alter their fortunes.

Finally, let's remember what happened the last time Palm rushed a brand new WebOS product to market...
    Yes but the multitasking approach hasn't been
    Yeah, switching between application via small windows is a brand new concept unique to webOS.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Since HP hasn't even been able to put together a video promo for a WebOS tablet, I can only assume they are behind their competition, especially Motorola, who is releasing the Xoom by March and will have Verizon's full support. So the above scenario probably isn't possible.

What's the benefit of rushing to market if you don't have carrier support, tho? It's not like Viewsonic or Augen or the other companies making those cheap Android tablets being hawked on QVC or at Ross or Kohl's or K-Mart are laughing to the bank. I don't think a marketing blitz would alter their fortunes.

Finally, let's remember what happened the last time Palm rushed a brand new WebOS product to market...
    Rushed to market? Seems to have taken forever to me.

You're probably right about them being behind, but if they really plan on making a big splash in February, why would they put out a tablet promo video yet? To curb Galaxy S sales?

HP isn't Augen. They can use their shelf space/relationships they have at electronics, computer, office, discount, and wholesale stores. They can also sell online and sell directly to their massive enterprise business, and bundle with computers, printers, phones, etc.

You may recall a little product called the iPad that released first with wi-fi only and later with 3g. A timeline matching Apple's with the iPad announcement would put the PalmPad on shelves in mid-April, but that could be accelerated if Palm and HP have both been in tablet development for a while now.

Likely? Probably not, as HP has rarely blown the doors off anything. But possible. Either way, I still think wi-fi only will be out first.

You have to think Palm looks at RIM's release deal with Sprint and laughs a little, although I'm sure RIM didn't do a 6 MONTH deal...
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yeah, switching between application via small windows is a brand new concept unique to webOS.
    Nice try. It is when in addition to that, you even use the same gestures (swipe up, flick away) for manipulation.

Now, please make my day and say that isn't unique to webOS
    Nice try. It is when in addition to that, you even use the same gestures (swipe up, flick away) for manipulation.

Now, please make my day and say that isn't unique to webOS
    Oh I get it! Take something that is already done, add one thing to it and call it unique! How did I miss that? So maybe the RIMM invented this unique process since they also allow swiping from all sides rather than just the bottom. I feel enlightened now. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Oh I get it! Take something that is already done, add one thing to it and call it unique! How did I miss that? So maybe the RIMM invented this unique process since they also allow swiping from all sides rather than just the bottom. I feel enlightened now. Thanks.

If you take anything vaguely enough, then nothing is ever unique. Those dang Wright Brothers, all they did is copy the idea of using a steam-powered carriage with wheels and controls to get a person from one place to another!

You can't argue that the apps-as-cards metaphor as a whole was not unique, especially to mobile phones. On the desktop and tablets you had windows INTO an application that you opened, closed, resized, and repositioned on a screen. Palm created fixed-size-and-shape cards with apps acting as if they were ON them that you dealt up, shuffled order, or threw away to end the app. On mobile phones you pretty much just had single, full screen apps and a launcher mechanism, and that's pretty much what you still have except for webOS.

I'm not really opposed to palm's great ideas getting used elsewhere, but don't pretend there wasn't any innovation there.
    Actually, you had windows in an OS that represented applications. Can you say ALT+Tab or Exposť? You had cards in mobile safari long ago. This stuff was not new when webOS did it. The major difference between a window and a card has more to do with spelling than anything else. But feel free to continue the spin.

By the way, as a long time Palm user, I'm not saying they never innovated, I'm saying they didn't with cards.
    We're still arguing about this when the entire cards metaphor was borrowed from Mobile Safari?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Actually, you had windows in an OS that represented applications. Can you say ALT+Tab or Exposť? You had cards in mobile safari long ago. This stuff was not new when webOS did it. The major difference between a window and a card has more to do with spelling than anything else. But feel free to continue the spin.

By the way, as a long time Palm user, I'm not saying they never innovated, I'm saying they didn't with cards.
    I would say that cards was a unique application of touch screen interface as a mechanism for handling application multitasking.

Windows represented applications, but not in a way that worked well at all with TOUCH SCREENS. Hence the suck that is Windows 7 without a mouse & keyboard, and why iPhone's OS is totally different than MacOS.

You could say webOS took the idea from mobile Safari. But that still used the X-to-close, and was not a mechanism for application multitasking. You may find it inconsequential, but the first time I saw throwing a card away to close an app, I thought it was weird and ingenious.

Windows, MacOS, PalmOS, iOS, Android, webOS, Meego, and Windows Phone all managed to steal each ideas from each other while still feeling like something new. Right now the Playbook just seems like what we all wanted a year ago - a copy of webOS on great hardware. Hopefully webOS and RIM can both add new, unique features to their tablet OS's as we go forward.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234