Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

The multitasking looks an awful lot like Web OS. Cant wait for the webOS tablet.
    <<Thread Merged - Did RIM beat HP to the punch - PlayBook>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I'm not seeing the appeal of these 7" tablets that are not much larger than your typical 3.5"-4.3" smartphone tablet. RIM's tablet will be 1024x600. That sucks Why would i want this in addition to an iphone 4 for example? The same goes for the Galaxy Tab.

At least the ipad is a bit bigger and easier to justify purchasing.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    That is not true. According to the announcement, the Playbook will be able to run all of the previous Blackberry applications
    Seriously? That's not really saying a whole lot. I used a BB up until early this year, there was not a single BB app that wowed me in the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    That is not true. According to the announcement, the Playbook will be able to run all of the previous Blackberry applications
    That's like saying webOS can run PalmOS apps with classic. Sure they work, but they can't compare to native apps.

I am happy to see RIM coming to their senses and rebooting their OS strategy, but the facts are they are years behind their competitors who have already gone down this road, Microsoft being the latest.

If you really think RIM has a jump start on Palm you gotta pass what you are smoking.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

If you really think RIM has a jump start on Palm you gotta pass what you are smoking.
    A jump start on Palm?
    Yeah...you know the jumpstart where they are miles ahead in phones, and steal their dual core ARM 9 tablet thunder with a new OS that they paid one sixth of what HP did for WebOS?

Palm and HP have RIM right where they want them.
    I would love for someone to follow up on my previous post, #40, and tell me if I am on the right or wrong track. I am not a programer.

Additionally, I am beginning to worry about HP's comments about how easily webOS scales. What does that mean? Every OS scales to different screen sizes with varying degrees of elegance and ease. The 2X mode on the iPad is an example of scale. That has almost nothing to do with user experience.

The reason most apps need to be re-written for the iPad is because they were written for a 3.5" UI, not a 9.7". That is a bigger difference than screen size. It opens up a world of possibilities. Simply repurposing a small app on a big screen is just lazy and stupid. It is fundamentally the same as a bad port. You are taking an app written for one device and interface, and moving to something completely different.

Apps written for a phone need to be re-written for the larger display of a pad for the same reason that programs for a desktop need to be re-written for a pad. Besides the technical challenges, the UI metaphors no longer make sense. It sounds like HP is planning on doing as little work as possible to make native apps and experiences for the pPad. At least, that is what I hear when they talk about how easily the OS scales. I wouldn't mind being wrong.
    Question: Did RIM beat HP to the punch with Playbook?
    Answer: You have to be in the ring first.
    Nice device I wouldn't mind having one but screw the tablet RIM should put this on their phones giving Webos a run for the money.

I guess you could say the "cards" are just coverflow...
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Sorry, but I think you're just a tad bit late on the post. This had been mentioned back in September and there had already been a couple threads on it...here's the main one:
    http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...itching-3.html
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Yep, too much alike. I guess you can't blame them(other company) for copying.
    Yea, a little late...

I am stoked about the pre 2.
    Have you guys seen the latest video of the Playbook, on Engadget. After seeing the video, all I could think was; what a rip off of webOS. The gestures, flicking cards off screen to close the apps; will webOS get any shine, or credit for it's own ideas?

What a shame!

BlackBerry PlayBook first hands-on! (video) -- Engadget
    For me, this is the same as WebOS.. unreal

http://www.webosroundup.com/2010/11/...-legal-action/
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    totally, so much in fact that it makes me want one cause I'm jones'n for a palm pad right about now as well as a new phone. And would probably seriously thing about it but the last I saw, bb apps were quite expensive.
    I havnt seen yet how the rest of that os works, like a launcher, but it did look slippery smooth
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    wow I just watched the video and I would be so ****ed if I was palm. Did you notice when the guy said oh so your throwing cards away, which is a complete term used in webOS, he completely ignored it? All the gestures are the same except the full swipe is done from the side instead of the bottom gesture area. And webOS 2.0 is supposed to have the videos still playing in card view and flash. It just sucks that they beat them to the same device they should have been showing. This really sucks. They ewed and awed at how it worked when my pre - does the same thing a year and a half ago.
    Very similar indeed. Still like the original (webOS) better.
    Dave Balmer, Gobico Games

Thanks for your support! Check out Wobble Words 2 and Poker Drops available now in the App Catalog for Palm Pre and Pixi, and follow us on Twitter @GobicoGames to get the latest news.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast