Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    it's one of the price you play when you actively shoot for 5th place.
    :d:d:d:d:d
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I can't believe I'm agreeing with you...again. *sigh* I'm going to have to send you an e-hug at this rate.
    This has got to stop. Enough is enough, already! We are just going to have to say something rude to each other and get things back to the way they were.
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    looks like it isn't due out until 2011 anyway, according to engadgets reprint of the press release.

That means there is a good chance the palmpad will be out prior to the playbook's debut.

as far as borrowing elements of UI and whatnot, there isn't a major player in this game who hasn't done some borrowing. From an originality standpoint, nobody should be throwing stones in this market.

In the end, I like that companies take existing idea, integrate, and hopefully improve on them, it is good for the consumer.
    There are four lights.
    I suspect this is just a play on RIM's part to tell their business customers to hold off on that iPad purchase for now. It is like the Courier. It may or may not ship. But it will freeze the market for a while.

I also suspect that is why we saw the HP Slate video. Someone at HP wants their business customers to know that they are working on something, and to hold off on that iPad purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I am curious, though...if RIM can announce, spec, and demo a product that isn't shipping until Q1 2011 with a new, untested OS, what's HP waiting on with either their next phone or tablet?

Every day of silence lets rivals steal a bit more oxygen, and at this point....aren't some people going to look at the PalmPad and call it a Playbook ripoff?
    Good point. Makes me think of the latest Daring Fireball post: Daring Fireball Linked List: BlackBerry PlayBook

Announced today during RIM’s developer conference. 7-inch display, runs the QNX OS that RIM bought earlier this year. The demo is very attractive, with a UI aesthetic that strikes me as a cross between iOS and WebOS. (The app-switching presentation is very WebOS.) The tech specs are interesting: 1 GHz multicore processor, 1 GB of RAM, and it pairs with a BlackBerry phone for tethered network access. Looks like an iPad in standalone product shots, but when you see someone holding it, you can tell just how much smaller a 7-inch display is.

But: It’s not shipping until “early 2011”, and prices haven’t been announced yet. That means it’ll be competing not against today’s iPad, but the second-generation iPad.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Oh boy. I have a Deja-Vu. It feels just like when Apple presented their first iPhone. How will HP/Palm be able to beat this...

On the other other hand this device has enterprise specs and I guess will carry a very enterprise-like high price tag.
    I am curious, though...if RIM can announce, spec, and demo a product that isn't shipping until Q1 2011 with a new, untested OS, what's HP waiting on with either their next phone or tablet?

Every day of silence lets rivals steal a bit more oxygen, and at this point....aren't some people going to look at the PalmPad and call it a Playbook ripoff?
    Seeing how the original Pre burned out of it's hype between the time of announcement and release, I'd prefer that HP/Palm pull off a Steve Jobs this time around: We announce it now, and it'll be available today.

But it is sad to see RIM, once a market leader, playing the copy game. Let's see if HP responds with a better product, I hope so.
    Did I miss something or have they not talked about price at all. If it costs the same as galaxy s tab it has already failed. This is a new os on top of everything else.

This looks more a competitior to cisco cius than to ipad. I think if palm comes out with a9 based phone ti4440 then this thing will look very old.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    This looks more a competitior to cisco cius than to ipad. I think if palm comes out with a9 based phone ti4440 then this thing will look very old.
    I think not. A 4440 is just the same dual-core Cortex A9 chip in the PlayBook...but clocked slightly higher than 1ghz. The clock speed would be irrelevant since the OSes would be different, and WebOS is a known bottleneck for the current OMAP processor anyway.
    Sounds like the programming languge is similar to webos with some Android thrown in. Wouldn't be past the realm of possibility for webOS/Android devs to port some apps over.

Devs will come if sales comes...bottom line.
    I think not. A 4440 is just the same dual-core Cortex A9 chip in the PlayBook...but clocked slightly higher than 1ghz. The clock speed would be irrelevant since the OSes would be different, and WebOS is a known bottleneck for the current OMAP processor anyway.

I was thinking in terms of phone vs tablet a phone with better specs than the tablet along with the fact that this is a new OS with no known api's etc. Will make this device not as desirable. The biggest draw for ipad was the ability to run iphone apps and the promise that new apps that will be better optimised will come very soon. In the mean time you had access to 125000 + apps that could get the job done.
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 09/27/2010 at 07:17 PM.
    Irrelevant if the user experience is good enough. Every tablet will have more RAM than the iPad with a camera added, Flash, and probably a faster processor...and none of them will sell anywhere what version 1 of the iPad did.

Blackberry is starting with QNX from a much better point than WebOS 1.0-1.4.5. Full Flash out of the gate, 3D games from the beginning, full Open GL acceleration throughtout the UI, support for dual core processing baked in.

They only paid $200 million for QNX and have product ready to spec and demo ahead of all of their competitors except Samsung. I wonder if they made the smarter investment - strictly speaking for tablets - than HP for 6x the money?

Time will tell.
    You guys need to get a grip. RIM hasn't beaten HP or anybody else at anything except squandering the announcement hype 4-6 months before the device hits shelves and making a ton of promises they haven't actually done the engineering on yet. RIM seems determined to channel Palm circa 2009, with the Torch form factor, cards multitasking and now making some of the same foolish mistakes Palm did with the launch of the Pre.

Far from "taking oxygen", the PlayBook will be forgotten by consumers as more and more tablets are announced and released while RIM is busy saying, "Don't forget us! Remember how awesome you thought ours was going to be six months ago?"

Finally while the Playbook certainly looks like a very nice piece of kit, you've got to remember that you're comparing it to first generation tablets. By the time it comes out, Playbook will be competing with second generation tablets from HP/Palm, Apple, Dell, etc. It may well be nothing special in comparison to them.

Unless you are opening a new market or are going to be first to market with a new generation of technology, announcing this far in advance is a huge mistake. It was when Palm did it and it still is today.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    You guys need to get a grip. RIM hasn't beaten HP or anybody else at anything except squandering the announcement hype 4-6 months before the device hits shelves...
    Hear, hear!

Time will tell if the "netbook without a keyboard" (presumably aimed at internet consumers rather than contributors) will take off beyond the "ooh it's a new Apple product" crowd. If it does, there'll be market share for lots of devices.

It will also be interesting to see if success of pads adversely affects netbooks and laptops, as they become more "niche" products. Which would be a bad thing, IMO.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have a feeling that memory leak and constant battery pull will be the biggest complaint when it comes out. Hardware wise, it looks great, but when it comes to software... no thanks. I realize it's not the same software as the phone, but after years of optimization they should have squash these ridiculous bugs long time ago. I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.
    Yeah we have seen blackberry 6 and its horriable (playing with the handset, even if it didnt hiccup every second in use, the OS is not inovated and the card metaphor is total different the webos so no worrys people). To me even looking at the specs of the slate, which compared at even gizmodo is leaps and bounds over the ipad, samsung, and playpad and with the captial HP has I have no worrys when they release the palm pad next year with a optimized OS running on a fully speced tablet there wont be any issues at all. Also I dont think people will be concerned with palm pad releasing after the playbook in terms of rip off from them, all they have to do is look at the pre and pixi and know that webos did it first, and did it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    RIM is starting from scratch. Palm already have lots of great applications and games while RIM has none. There are already so many mobile operating systems. Is there room fo another?
    Disclaimer: I don't know what I am talking about for the remainder of this post.

How are the starting points different? Rim definitely has apps. Perhaps not a lot, but how is that different from webOS? Also, wOS has no games. The iPhone has games. wOS has ports of iPhone games. Isn't it a pretty big assumption that those iPhone ports will automatically work on a pad with a different form-factor, hardware, and OS tweaks? Wouldn't those ports have to be reported to a different device, even if that device KIRFed the hardware of the iPad?

It seems to me that Palm is further behind RIM when it comes to apps and games written specifically for the platforms. Palm certainly does not seem to have an advantage over anyone.

As for mindshare, everyone knows and trusts RIM. When the iPad was first released, I thought the only company that could give it a run for its money was RIM because it has credible branding and fanatical supporters. RIM whole business is based on the mobile pro. HP is a printer/PC company. They have no credibility in this space. They are too married to MS, as the Slate well shows. wOS is a new thing for them and they have no foothold in non-PC computing. I just don't see HP, Palm having and advantage over RIM.

The saving grace for the pPad is that the RIM tablet seems to be directed at a completely different market, see Cius. The pPad will be taking direct aim at the Galaxy Tab.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    RIM is starting from scratch. Palm already have lots of great applications and games while RIM has none. There are already so many mobile operating systems. Is there room fo another?
    That is not true. According to the announcement, the Playbook will be able to run all of the previous Blackberry applications
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    You guys need to get a grip. RIM hasn't beaten HP or anybody else at anything except squandering the announcement hype 4-6 months before the device hits shelves and making a ton of promises they haven't actually done the engineering on yet.
    +2

It will be fantastic if HPalm steals the PlayBook's thunder by a much smaller window of announcement to actual ship / pre-order date.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast