Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just wanted to get people's thoughts on the switching over to Android.

Let me start off by saying I love webOS and have been a loyalist to palm since the day they announced this phone a few years back. I waited until the pre+ to come out of Verizon before making the switch and couldn't be happier with my choice. The palm community is great and I can't think the homebrew community enough, it has taken the palm pre+ to a whole another level.

A few months ago I started getting jealous of the new hardware coming out for the iphone and android. I felt like I can wait for the next gen palm phone no problem. But the real issue with why I purchased a Droid Incredible last night is that I am tried of waiting on the palm catalog to get apps I actually want and use. Yes the webOS is the best operating system but it needs the big apps. I figured once HP gets behind it and the new phone comes out the apps I want will start coming out, but I don't feel like waiting another year for this (which is when my contract is up and I will just get the next gen palm phone if the apps are out that I want.) You are probably wondering what apps are so important that made me leave when I love palm so much.

Well here they are:
    Google Turn by Turn Directions
    Netflix App
    Mlb.com At-Bat App
    ESPN Apps
    Skype App
    NFL App (Verizon showing now love to the palm on this one)
    Mint.com App

I haven't given up hope on palm and really hope they will come through. I am going to hold on to my old pre+ for a few weeks to see if I like android and can make it through the rest of my contract before hopefully coming back to palm. If not I will just sell the incredible and live with app envy until palm catches up.

Thanks.
    kthxbai ^_^
    I had a Sprint Pre for a year switched to the EVO in June very happy with it. The only thing I miss is the cards so much easier to close programs on the pre then on the EVO. I also miss the gameloft games so much more 3d gaming on the Pre Android is starting to get better but still beyond Palm.I keep my Pre when I upgraded glad I did my Pre now jailbreaks my ps3 everyday so i still get good use out of it.If Palm were to put out a 4g 4.3 in screen no keyboard duel core phone Im back but I dont see that happen any time soon.So for now HTC is my phone maker they just seem to pump out lots of good phones
    As a former Pre owner and current Evo owner, there's nothing I miss about the Pre. If anything, I miss coming to the boards.
    The Droid Incredible does not have a front facing camara. Skype will still work with the rear facing camara.

I have an Incredible and I love it!! I can really see myself keeping this phone for the next 2 or 3 years. When I get a WiFi only tablet next year, I plan on activiting the WiFi Hotspot on the phone. I hope the price is still $30 for 5gb.
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerpsp View Post
    I had a Sprint Pre for a year switched to the EVO in June very happy with it. The only thing I miss is the cards so much easier to close programs on the pre then on the EVO. I also miss the gameloft games so much more 3d gaming on the Pre Android is starting to get better but still beyond Palm.I keep my Pre when I upgraded glad I did my Pre now jailbreaks my ps3 everyday so i still get good use out of it.If Palm were to put out a 4g 4.3 in screen no keyboard duel core phone Im back but I dont see that happen any time soon.So for now HTC is my phone maker they just seem to pump out lots of good phones
    Gameloft games for Android:
    Android Games - Download Top HD Games for Android | Gameloft

For some dumb reason they don't have their games in the market place. I'm thinking they don't want to deal with people *****ing about versions not working on their respective phones and down ranking the games and such but i think they are missing out on sales otherwise.

Also i was on the same thought as you....Palm come out with new hardware and i'll be back. But honestly, unless they functionality of WebOS approaches closer to Android i don't even think awesome new hardware could pull me back. But we'll see. Nothing shown thus far in WebOS 2.0 though has me interested in coming back.
    Why would you be considering an Incredible? It is 7 months old now and nearing the end of it's lifespan.

The Incredible has so much wasted space at the top and bottom that it is basically an EVO or Droid X but with a small screen and no front camera.

There are so many other things to consider. These articles may help:

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

- Craig
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Originally Posted by Anal Cavity
    First of all AWESOME username. Best running back in the history of the NFL..shame he retired so young

Secondly I agree with the poster above. Evo is just leaps and bounds better than the pre. Its really not even close. I gave alot of my time and money to Palm over the years but they just dropped the ball HARD on the release of the Pre. Maybe thats the reason they were in financial crisis and had to be bought out by HP.

I do miss little bits of WebOS and I may one day return to Palm if they put out a halfway decent phone, but as of right now the future of Palm phone devices looks GRIM. Hope im wrong....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all LOVELY username... We all have one - a username, and various cavities. Well done, AC.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Why would you be considering an Incredible? It is 7 months old now and nearing the end of it's lifespan.

The Incredible has so much wasted space at the top and bottom that it is basically an EVO or Droid X but with a small screen and no front camera.

There are so many other things to consider. These articles may help:

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

- Craig
    Eh even if its older, still a VERY solid device that was reviewed better than some of the other droid offerings that came out this summer.
    well if ur switching, might as well switch to the best android device out there right? IMO
    "So you can run and tell that, homeboy"
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanguerrero View Post
    well if ur switching, might as well switch to the best android device out there right? IMO
    Best in terms of...?

Raw specs? I think people need to get off of the hard specs train. Apple has never really done that with the iPhone because at the end of the day people just want a nice performing phone.

The Dinc has the same specs as the Evo, you know, one of the highest selling android phones out right now...I have zero regrets choosing the Evo over the EPic because there were so many things about the Epic I personally didn't want.

UNless 3D gaming is your priority (which in that case going to android is ehhh) I honestly at this time recommend the Moto X if you want a big phone or the DINC if you want the best mid size phone on verizon.

Droid 2 and Fascinate are not for me.

You really can't go wrong with either, but the HTC community > Motorola community and most certainly the Samsung community. Also, HTC has proved to just be a more responsive company vs. the other two in terms of updates and support.

Of course other situations come into play as well...if you need a keyboard, well the Droid 2 is your phone. If you are doing a lot of multimedia on your phone, i'd say get the Fascinate. I just think HTC + Sense and Android work really really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    When I get a WiFi only tablet next year, I plan on activiting the WiFi Hotspot on the phone. I hope the price is still $30 for 5gb.
    VZW already ditched the $30/5GB option a couple of months ago. Your only option now is $20/2GB for the WiFi Mobile Hotspot.
    Also you can easily root a DINC and tether for free (under whatever the gig cap is of course)
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    The Droid Incredible does not have a front facing camara. Skype will still work with the rear facing camara.

I have an Incredible and I love it!! I can really see myself keeping this phone for the next 2 or 3 years. When I get a WiFi only tablet next year, I plan on activiting the WiFi Hotspot on the phone. I hope the price is still $30 for 5gb.
    I just got one, and I love it too. I've been a Palm fan boy for over decade, starting with my Palm III, and through all of the Treos. I finally traded in my Verizon 755p for a Pre Plus, and after trying it for 6 months, I got tired of the lags, the bad (but beautiful) hardware, the poor call quality, no custom folders for mail like on my 755p, the crappy calendar application, and the fact that it was HARD just to use it as phone. The touchscreen responded about 1/2 the time on the first press, so hanging up a call was dicey at best. Then I'd panic, hit buttons a few times, and then they would all kick in after the lag clears. The keyboard was ok initially, but I starting getting the double letters with increasing frequency. I changed out the hardware under the warranty, and the one I received fails to register keypresses much of the time unless you really press hard.

I have had my Incredible for only a few days, and it keeps getting better and better every day as I learn to customize it. The voice-input, voice-search, voice-everything is amazing, as is the screen. The auto-fill/auto-correct as you type is cool, and the call clarity is MUCH better than the Pre. I miss several things about the Pre: the Touchstone, and a unified inbox for mail. I think there are apps for the latter, but they don't seem to combine POP and Gmail. I miss not having even a dock to put the Incredible in, and I wish it had the magnet technology of the Motorolas. But the Incredible's size is perfect for me....even the 4" screens of Galaxy S is too big for me and my pockets.

I know that many of the things I didn't like about the Pre could be solved by rooting, but I haven't the time or in the inclination to try to figure it all out. The Incredible is simply a much better phone FOR ME right out of the box.

By the way, you can activate the Incredible as a wifi hotspot without rooting in less than 2 minutes. Google the Incredible forums and free wifi hotspot. It tethers perfectly with my Wifi-only iPad......
    I would say skip the incredible and get a droid X. I played with both extensively my best friends has the incredible and my fiance has the droid x. In terms of quality they are about the same. The bigger screen on the droid x is very nice and the omap 3 is snappier than the snapdragon.
    I had a Droid incredible for a couple weeks and then a Droid X for a couple weeks. Both great smart phones. You will be happy with either of them.

Android just isn't my thing. And now that I have a Pre Plus running at 1 ghz I can definitely wait until the next Palm phone. The Pre Plus running at 1 ghz gives even current top tier smart phones a run for their money, minus battery life of course. But I have 6 Touchstones so it's not a huge problem.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    I miss several things about the Pre: the Touchstone, and a unified inbox for mail.
    A unified inbox is part of the next version of Sense UI. The newer HTC phones that are going to be released in the next couple of months will have it. The older HTC phones will have it if they are upgraded to Gingerbread/Honeycomb.

Edit: Here's a 1/2 hour video of HTC introducing 2 new HTC Android phones, the new Sense UI, and HTCSense.com earlier this month - around Sept 22nd.

http://www.youtube.com/user/htc?blen.../0/EBkyhKpJ57U
    Last edited by slbailey1; 09/30/2010 at 09:05 AM.
    A unified inbox is part of the next version of Sense UI. The newer HTC phones that are going to be released in the next couple of months will have it. The older HTC phones will have it if they are upgraded to Gingerbread/Honeycomb.

Edit: Here's a 1/2 hour video of HTC introducing 2 new HTC Android phones, the new Sense UI, and HTCSense.com earlier this month - around Sept 22nd.

YouTube - HTC's Channel
    Thanks for the info can't wait to put the new sense on my Evo.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Thanks for the info can't wait to put the new sense on my Evo.
    I'm with you....I just watched that video HTC is really stepping it up. HTC sense.com is EXACTLY what I've been looking for in a phone.
    New sense video running on and Evo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast