Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    iPhone tops J.D. Power's customer satisfaction survey for 4th year in a row - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Here's one we're sure to hear about at the next Apple (AAPL) press event.

For the fourth time in a row, the iPhone has come in first in J.D. Power and Associates' semi-annual smartphone customer satisfaction survey with a score of 800 out of 1,000 -- well ahead of its competitors.

If it weren't for the iPhone's battery life -- much improved on the iPhone 4 but still all-too-brief on older models -- the device would have scored five perfect gold circles across the board (see below).

LG, with a score of 731, was the winner in the traditional handset category, also for the fourth consecutive time.

Satisfaction with their handsets may be one reason customers seem to be hanging on to them longer -- an average of 20.5 months, up from 17.3 months in 1999, according to the news release issued Thursday. But the report suggests that price consciousness in the economic downturn may be a bigger factor.

"Typically, when upgrading to a new cell phone, there's the added expense of either subscribing to a more expensive service plan and/or incurring termination fees when switching service providers," said Kirk Parsons, J.D. Power's senior director of wireless services. "Today, consumers are really watching their wallets, and any added discretionary expenses are being considered more thoughtfully than in the past."

Palm gets lowest ratings of all....

Palm OS got 2 stars? LOL
    The rest I can understand with the current hardware sorely needing an update.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Palm OS got 2 stars? LOL
    While many of us see it as "intuitive", I have a couple of less tech female friends that find it inconsistent
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    While many of us see it as "intuitive", I have a couple of less tech female friends that find it inconsistent
    They must not use iOS that frequently then because I've seen that to be more inconsistent than webOS.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    They must not use iOS that frequently then because I've seen that to be more inconsistent than webOS.
    According to J.D. Power's, you are in the minority
    Is this Palm OS or webOS? I'm assuming Palm OS, which isn't even comparable to the new operating systems...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    No surprise there.

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/JD.../2010185-1.jpg

That graphic also does a good job of showing the data. Palm is ranked 2nd to last based on points.

This represents a decline from last year: http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/JD...s/2009082a.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Palm OS got 2 stars? LOL
    No kidding...the fact that they would give the OS 2 stars is beyond comprehension....serenity now! (sorry...had to again)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Is this Palm OS or webOS? I'm assuming Palm OS, which isn't even comparable to the new operating systems...
    This is not a measure of operating systems it's a measure of cell phone manufactures. if you read the press release it says "Apple ranks highest in customer satisfaction among manufacturers of smartphones" so it would include all their phones regardless of OS. J.D.Power and Associates - Press Release

You may notices that it lists Nokia, motorola, samsung. Nokia has two OS's i thing and Samsung and Motorola are both running android. Samsung may still run their own OS too. but i haven't seen it in phones recently. So seems clear to me that this is about customer satisfaction by phone manufactures. So i think this is just general. Now as for what OS they mean under the specific OS section i can't be sure but like i said, Nokia has more then one so i'd assume the responses cover all OS.
    Just be glad palm didn't get one star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I doubt that JD Power tested a Palm OS phone from Jan-Jun of 2010. They tend to assess the newest devices available from the start of the testing time.